Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 10:16 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhunter View Post
It's funny all of these negative arguments can be said for my home area of Salinas, California, which was the highest priced (comparatively to income) place to live in the US in 2006.

Wages suck, gas has nearly a 50 cent tax per gallon, there is a state income tax, there is a 8+% sales tax, there is extremely high property taxes... And I have grown up here and love it.

Anyhow, I've never actually been to bellingham, but I am considering a job in Bham, and my wife works for the worlds largest coffee retailer in retail management. I have driven through Bham, and spent a week in skagit cty in 2005 (may).

Rents seem cheap to us, and we are salivating at the potential opportunity.

Anyhow, just a lil rant...
there is no ugly truth except that unmeasurable bliss will be a a part of your life. I would sell my soul to move there. Unfortuately, I could not find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 12:56 PM

9 posts, read 45,842 times
My wife and I are considering moving to Bellingham. We got married on Orcas Island (she has family that lives there) just this past summer and absolutely loved he area. We took the ferry back over to Anacortes and drove up to Bellingham to check it out. We really liked what we saw, but we were only there for like 2 hours. Also, it was in early August and gorgeous outside!!

Currently we are living in Florida, where she is a second grade teacher and I am finishing up my last year of law school. As I said before we loved it out there, but we were there in the summer. I have been doing my research and talking to anybody that will give me there opinion of the Pacific NW. We have both lived in FL all our lives, but desparately want out. FL is so flat and so hot and we just want the beauty and outdoor activities (not in 100 degree heat) that the Bellingham area has to offer.

So I guess, basically, my question(s) is/are what advice can you give us in deciding to make the move or not? A lot of the people we have talked to have just said how bad the winters are and I just want to know some of your opinions? Now, I know that neither of us have ever been in the cold weather/snow long enough to dislike it, but it just seems like it cannot be as bad as 5 straight months of 100 degree temperature with unbearable humidity. I think we are going to take a trip up there in mid-January to get a better feel for the winters. I had to decide where I am going to take the BAR by February, so we don't have a ton of time to decide.

I have tried to read all the stuff on here about Bellingham and get a better feel for the city. It seems like it is a great place to live with an expanding economy and growing population. Also, there is a foot-ferry that runs from Bellingham to Orcas part of the year, correct? If anybody knows anything about any law firms out there, that would be a great help too - HA!! Well, thank you for reading this and hopefully responding with your thoughts on how 2 20-something, newly-married, Floridians would handle the move across the country!!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:31 PM

11 posts, read 41,155 times
As a 50 year old lifetime resident of Bellingham with a family history here that dates back to 1899, Bellingham was and, in many ways, still is a great place to live. It is a beautiful area with a lot of seasonal activities to get out and enjoy. With a growing cultural diversity and base. The downside is the cost of housing, low wages, increasing crime and traffic, and the weather. Locals like myself are not happy with so much of what has taken place around here. If you were to compare Bellingham today with what it was like up until the mid to late 80's, you would understand why. So much of what we loved is gone forever. But I like to think a majority of us are generally an accepting lot. And smart enough to figure out who’s coming here for the right reasons.

However, in my opinion, the level of incompetent and corrupt leadership in the face of rapid growth these past several years has left many of us shaking our heads to wonder what’s going to happen next. And any prospective newcomer should first ask themselves a few questions. How high will taxes have to go to pay for the growth that has been rubber-stamped approved. To also pay for a new library and city center, new roads and bridges, new police substations and jail space, port waterfront “projects”, emergency medical services, etc. How many more years will you be able to swim in some of the local lakes before they are choked off by pollution. Where is the next arbitrary zoning change and road going to be punched through. Where are the major pockets of crime and mini-ghettos going to develop. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out, and cannot be caste aside as negative local aspersion, the difficult issues that exist for a once small community like Bellingham in transition.

I guess after all is said and done I think the positives outweigh the negatives for this Bellingham native. And, on a warm sunny summer day, it really is tough to beat. Though I have recently made the decision to move to a more progressive-minded area with a warmer climate.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:01 PM

9 posts, read 45,842 times
Thanks for the help reg! I guess one thing a person cannot take from a visit is the inner workings of the govt. But besides the govt. any other opinions...

Old 10-20-2007, 12:03 PM

Nala,
Two twenty-somethings could land here and felt like they died and went to heaven. This is an area of spectacular beauty. No doubt about it. And, a small community in transition that does have more to offer young people these days. To often, I find my thoughts drifting into a cloud of negativity. But, like I said there are reasons why. The biggest being financial hardship. Lots of people struggle around here, working two or more jobs. Some leave, while others settle into their niche and prosper. Two people like you should do just fine. I think you just have to lower your expectations and understand that it may take some time. The weather can really suck. Not too many years ago we had 100 straight days with rain. But, a good summer tends to erase those memories in a hurry. Summers are really unpredictable, but when it's nice here, it is hard to imagine a better place to be. I think just being able to get up in the mountains to board or ski can make a huge difference. And a nice pair of waterproof shoes and gear to get out and walk the trails helps too. And, being about to jet off for a sunny break. As far as your legal career, pick an area of land use, planning, mitigation, whatever, and you'll do fine.
Good Luck!

Old 10-20-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg5057 View Post
Nala,
Two twenty-somethings could land here and felt like they died and went to heaven. This is an area of spectacular beauty. No doubt about it. And, a small community in transition that does have more to offer young people these days. To often, I find my thoughts drifting into a cloud of negativity. But, like I said there are reasons why. The biggest being financial hardship. Lots of people struggle around here, working two or more jobs. Some leave, while others settle into their niche and prosper. Two people like you should do just fine. I think you just have to lower your expectations and understand that it may take some time. The weather can really suck. Not too many years ago we had 100 straight days with rain. But, a good summer tends to erase those memories in a hurry. Summers are really unpredictable, but when it's nice here, it is hard to imagine a better place to be. I think just being able to get up in the mountains to board or ski can make a huge difference. And a nice pair of waterproof shoes and gear to get out and walk the trails helps too. And, being about to jet off for a sunny break. As far as your legal career, pick an area of land use, planning, mitigation, whatever, and you'll do fine.
Good Luck!
with out all that rain, you would get ugly brown mountains to look at. The Pine beetle would kill off most of the trees, starbucks would go away because who wants to drink hot coffee in the sunshine. No, buck up and love Bellingham. It might be the best city (if you don't have to work) in the unitied states. I really feel that way.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:36 PM

30 posts, read 145,739 times
Reg, I like your objectiveness. I often find myself being negative aboutwhere I live,but I turn around and realize that maybe its personal affairs,e tc,that I reflecting onto this beautiful spot. (the cloud of negativity you mention)

I am flying up next week for an interview, unfortunately no time to look athouses, I'llbe on the ground for less than 24 hours.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:14 PM

30 posts, read 145,739 times
fair enough!

never the less, my cost of living is 54% higher here where I live in California than there.

Last edited by jmhunter; 10-21-2007 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: syntax error

Old 10-22-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
there is no ugly truth except that unmeasurable bliss will be a a part of your life. I would sell my soul to move there. Unfortuately, I could not find a job.
don't ever sell your soul! but it does sound to me like you should consider another job option...creating one! this town is full of struggling artisans, but there are any number of ways to create your own product/service to support yourself. i'd suggest you visit a forum like sowpub.com to lurk and post any specific questions. you could be amazed at what you'll find. there are also a lot of struggling biz in this town that you could take over with a good marketing plan. and i'd suggest a book called "how to buy a great business with no cash" by arthur goldstein. end of career counseling, but good luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg5057 View Post
don't ever sell your soul! but it does sound to me like you should consider another job option...creating one! this town is full of struggling artisans, but there are any number of ways to create your own product/service to support yourself. i'd suggest you visit a forum like sowpub.com to lurk and post any specific questions. you could be amazed at what you'll find. there are also a lot of struggling biz in this town that you could take over with a good marketing plan. and i'd suggest a book called "how to buy a great business with no cash" by arthur goldstein. end of career counseling, but good luck!
Thought of starting a frozen Custard place there, anybody think it would fly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington