Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 10:14 AM

362 posts, read 589,545 times

Advertisements

i heard recently bellingham has the fifth lowest crime rate in cities in our size bracket

so the crime rate is low

the people are pusillanimous and meek in a way but theyre probably carrying a handgun in a backpack or some could and thats legal here

its hard to meet people here i suppose unless you are a democrat from the college ,well not always
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 10:16 AM

well they can get a gun permit if they carry the gun in a safe way

Old 11-15-2008, 10:42 AM

i think i heard most the people read at an eighth grade level in whatcom co and i frequently have to explain the meaning of very basic words-its pretty lame and uninteresting at times and i know i dont type too well

Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 PM

426 posts, read 958,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Roy Slade View Post
i think i heard most the people read at an eighth grade level in whatcom co and i frequently have to explain the meaning of very basic words-its pretty lame and uninteresting at times and i know i dont type too well
Lucky for them you only type at a 6th grade level, so they can read your rantings.

Kudos to you sir!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
Lately things have been getting better with theft. Seems like law enforcement finally got off their traffic ticketing butts and did something. On a bad note, I was in court for a minor equipment ticket and watched several members of the 18th St. gang from California(they are moving here like the rest of you) get out of jail time, get their fines cut in 1/2, one with a record of 2x narcotics possession, 5x driving under influence with no license insurance registration, and 3x domestic violence. Then I got up and didn't get a break at all

Old 11-25-2008, 02:49 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Nice comeback greenery. I don't want to come across like an ass or anything. I realize people are coming here because they are obviously leaving somewhere worse. The whole cause of this goes way over our heads clear to D.C. in my eyes. A failure of an administration holds interest rates super low in a time of record national debt to stimulate and otherwise dead job market, which caused this real estate boom, while at the same time alot of the expansion hasn't been accomadated which made demand go up and prices soar. I feel it's only a temporary fix, and eventually we may see some very ugly interest rates and possibly one of the largest flops we have ever seen in the real estate market. It also irks me how someone can completely fill in a wetland area and build 100's of apartments yet a homeowner trying to find a lot can't build within a 100ft radius of a single cat tail. I personally feel like we(younger generation) are being forced into crap jobs and apartments around here. The only solice I have is that a majority or these people will hopefully be in the ground in a few years. Maybe I will invest in cemetary plots soon.

Btw, my family members haven't benefited a bit from this boom, their property taxes have increased 2-3 times, and we generally pay more for everything because of this inflated cost of living.
I hate being right all the time(about the housing flop at least).

Old 11-25-2008, 03:07 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Lately things have been getting better with theft. Seems like law enforcement finally got off their traffic ticketing butts and did something. On a bad note, I was in court for a minor equipment ticket and watched several members of the 18th St. gang from California(they are moving here like the rest of you) get out of jail time, get their fines cut in 1/2, one with a record of 2x narcotics possession, 5x driving under influence with no license insurance registration, and 3x domestic violence. Then I got up and didn't get a break at all
Do you know what the crime rate is up in Custer, Washington by the Vacouver border?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 AM

73 posts, read 172,632 times
Default Bad weather nine months out of the year

Greenery said the weather in Bellingham "begins to perk up" or something like that, in January. I'm throwing the BS flag - it is hideous until July, and even then it could still be rainy and ugly.
Check out the Bellingham stats - 23.7 percent of people living at the poverty level, cost of living index is 107 (avg. is 100), and median income is 36 grand.
I've lived here eight years so I'm not a lifer, and I just don't like it. It's got a depressed feeling most of the year (except for the very short window of time when it's not dark and dreary, mid-July through September), there are no good paying jobs...or very few, at least. There's next to nothing to do - no culture, few good restaurants, and the worst shopping I have EVER seen!). I feel like I"m the one saying the emperor has no clothes on - but I gotta call it the way I've experienced it. Look before you come here - look really closely.
Edited to add: In response to the poster who asked about crime in Custer - I work with adolescents and know firsthand that the crime rates in the areas closer to the Canadian border are high; plenty of people - kids, especially - are used for "mules" to carry drugs back and forth across the border. Custer is a horrible, horrible, place - as are Birch Bay and Blaine.

Last edited by Loriandrandy; 01-08-2009 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Added information

Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 PM

73 posts, read 172,632 times
Default straight answer for you

...sorry you got such sarcasm from the prior post. The highest heating bills in the winter for our 2400 sf home with gas heat are $140. I keep the heat no highter than 66 degrees. I don't have AC, and you really only need it one month, maybe two, during the summer.

Gasoline is more expensive here than Seattle or even Burlington. Food is more expensive by a lot. Yet nearly 25% of folks are living at the poverty level, and the median income is far below average. Go figure!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:38 AM

473 posts, read 1,702,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Roy Slade View Post
i heard recently bellingham has the fifth lowest crime rate in cities in our size bracket

so the crime rate is low

the people are pusillanimous and meek in a way but theyre probably carrying a handgun in a backpack or some could and thats legal here

its hard to meet people here i suppose unless you are a democrat from the college ,well not always
So it is legal in Washington State to carry a gun if you have a Carry Concealed Weapons Permit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington