Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,855 times

Advertisements

I am glad I've spent nearly 3 hours reading all the posts here on B-ham! A friend who's just turned 18 has wanted to move there for a couple of years. She knows nobody there, and has asked me to move up there with her. I'm 56, and look at her as another daughter, amd being sick of where I'm at, plus having no commitments to anyone but myself now, I've agreed. My own daughter is happy living here, is engaged, so she's content to be here. The only reason I'm here was for her, and now she's engaged, I feel I can finally move on to where I want to live..in the mountainous areas of the Pacific Northwest. I've work full time for a nation-wide retail store, and I barely make $22,000 a year, and am not even close to retirement, even if I could afford to ever do so. Unlike most of the people I know, I rent, and I will never afford a house, so buying in the B-ham area isnt an option for me. Yes, I am one of "those People"...a Californian...I live in Central CA, where daily shootings/drive-bys occur, where in a recent move someone broke into the rental house we were leaving, and stole a few thousand dollars of stuff, where one day as I was driving to work, there was a guy sitting under a tree "shooting up", and that was about 5 houses from the house...I wish I could take my 7 year old grandson with me when I move, but I cant.
I had lived in Southern Oregon for a year, and yes, was made to feel unwelcome at the beginning, but when people got to kow me, they found out I'm not the typical person from CA, and were sad when I chose to move back (I moved back for love...stupid me, it didnt last)
My friend is a Christain, I am Pagan, she's young and spirited, I am old, overweight (yes, I died my grey hair brown too, tho am letting the grey take over now) All I really want is to make and sell my beaded jewelry, (no it's NOT turqouise!!) have a quiet life, have a garden (tho unfortunately not possible in apt living) take the bus or walk (truck engine blew in Dec, signed it over to daughter)
Seeing all the positives/negatives in these posts has me wondering if we really should aim for B-ham or elsewheres...she'll fit in, but dont think the locals will accept me...
Not looking forwards to another day of blistering 108 temps with humidity, and loving rain and snow and an actual change of seasons would be very refreshing....
Oh, and btw, Charleecrat, tell your hubby there are no more grunions on the beaches When I was married and lived in Ventura Co, we saw the rapid decline of the silvery ones...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 AM

473 posts, read 1,698,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraGunn View Post
I am glad I've spent nearly 3 hours reading all the posts here on B-ham! A friend who's just turned 18 has wanted to move there for a couple of years. She knows nobody there, and has asked me to move up there with her. I'm 56, and look at her as another daughter, amd being sick of where I'm at, plus having no commitments to anyone but myself now, I've agreed. My own daughter is happy living here, is engaged, so she's content to be here. The only reason I'm here was for her, and now she's engaged, I feel I can finally move on to where I want to live..in the mountainous areas of the Pacific Northwest. I've work full time for a nation-wide retail store, and I barely make $22,000 a year, and am not even close to retirement, even if I could afford to ever do so. Unlike most of the people I know, I rent, and I will never afford a house, so buying in the B-ham area isnt an option for me. Yes, I am one of "those People"...a Californian...I live in Central CA, where daily shootings/drive-bys occur, where in a recent move someone broke into the rental house we were leaving, and stole a few thousand dollars of stuff, where one day as I was driving to work, there was a guy sitting under a tree "shooting up", and that was about 5 houses from the house...I wish I could take my 7 year old grandson with me when I move, but I cant.
I had lived in Southern Oregon for a year, and yes, was made to feel unwelcome at the beginning, but when people got to kow me, they found out I'm not the typical person from CA, and were sad when I chose to move back (I moved back for love...stupid me, it didnt last)
My friend is a Christain, I am Pagan, she's young and spirited, I am old, overweight (yes, I died my grey hair brown too, tho am letting the grey take over now) All I really want is to make and sell my beaded jewelry, (no it's NOT turqouise!!) have a quiet life, have a garden (tho unfortunately not possible in apt living) take the bus or walk (truck engine blew in Dec, signed it over to daughter)
Seeing all the positives/negatives in these posts has me wondering if we really should aim for B-ham or elsewheres...she'll fit in, but dont think the locals will accept me...
Not looking forwards to another day of blistering 108 temps with humidity, and loving rain and snow and an actual change of seasons would be very refreshing....
Oh, and btw, Charleecrat, tell your hubby there are no more grunions on the beaches When I was married and lived in Ventura Co, we saw the rapid decline of the silvery ones...
Like yourself I'm in California born and raised so I have seen the changes going from better to worst. It has got to be to crowded here and expensive. The worst thing that bothers me here is the traffic and the fact there are just too many people here making it so we pay the most for living expenses from food, gasoline, clothes any products over the rest of the US.
I was considering Washington up by the border in Canada. There is a small town called Custer. Very low in population and rural. However the downside of the whole state of Washington is the property taxes if you are buying a house. Upside is that there is no state income tax so maybe that's the trade off as here in CA property taxes go up but in very small increments whereas in Washington there doesn't seem to be a limit but property taxes can go up in very large amounts each year.
From this latest downtrend in real estate I have seen the value of my house go down 75% so now I owe more on house than the house can be sold for.
Kind of stuck now and not in the position of retirement yet. Don't know what's going to happen so far if in doubt nothing.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 AM

615 posts, read 1,070,784 times
Quote:
The anti-growth attitude of our local government caused a massive price increase of real estate and cost of living
I thought it was the growth that caused all the problems?

Population growth has destroyed California and the Northeast and is now destroying Washington.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
I thought it was the growth that caused all the problems?

Population growth has destroyed California and the Northeast and is now destroying Washington.
You are correct about California the growth has got out of hand with overpopulation problem and gridlocked freeways. Where have all of these people come from? It is like the quality of life has gone down hill like too many fish in the tank with no room, less resources, more unemployment, more pollution and we pay the highest prices for everything. The fishtank has shrunk with too many fish in the sea. It's only getting worse and more expensive.

I would stay in the rural areas of Washington not Seattle, Tacoma or anything resembling a city.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:25 PM

353 posts, read 931,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
You are correct about California the growth has got out of hand with overpopulation problem and gridlocked freeways. Where have all of these people come from? It is like the quality of life has gone down hill like too many fish in the tank with no room, less resources, more unemployment, more pollution and we pay the highest prices for everything.
No big wars, no mass epidemics, less infant mortality, and longer lifespans equal more and more people - everywhere.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtom View Post
No big wars, no mass epidemics, less infant mortality, and longer lifespans equal more and more people - everywhere.
This is true

Too many people and too little space.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:46 PM

615 posts, read 1,070,784 times
And too much immigration. I wish we would cut legal immigration down to match the mortality rate.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
And too much immigration. I wish we would cut legal immigration down to match the mortality rate.
Either that or a civil war. The war going on now hasn't affected the population here that's for sure.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtom View Post
New World Order is needed

Old 10-10-2010, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,186 times
I am wondering why are so many people interested in Custer??? I'm amazed at how many times it has been honorably mentioned. Kudos for the advertising staff in the tiny township of Custer...because most people in and around Bellingham don't even know if Custer is a town, or if it had one where it would be. Custer is a rural area with a country store and a tavern. I mean rural rural, not like suburb rural. Is it even on the map? lol. Just sayin....

There is a lot of property crime out there...which is ridiculous and unfortunate....but I wouldn't mind some acreage out there regardless. Who doesn't want 5-10 acres to play on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington