Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 08:05 PM

67 posts, read 208,781 times

Advertisements

Just my opinion but if I was a youngster I would find out what job pays the most with the least amount of college debt, that would probably steer me towrds the medical field. If they still hire 2 year RN's then that is what I would pick, also respitory tech made pretty darn good too, then save your coins and buy a foreclosure, buy low sell high and while youre at it be nice and you might meet that special one for you. Take in mind if you want the dating/marriage thing to work it takes alot of hard work and sacrifice and placing the other person's needs ahead of your own something I see not happening in the kids nowadays.

Just saying from an old fart's hindsight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 10:44 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
I bet you have a 206, right? And a BMW?

The biggest employers are the governments, hospital, and the college. Everything else is minimum wage. I bet if you lost your telecommute job, you'd be back to 206 in a heartbeat.

I see tourists like you and the other posters all the time. Easy to spot at Starmucks with your computers. Or living in the new mini-mansions that are so poorly built, a local wouldn't buy it at half the price.

I wish I could afford to move, tbh. This place has declined in the last 10 years. We're calling it Slumingham now. We got more bums per acre than Seattle. The city is kicking out three thriving businesses to create a legal shooting gallery and wino bar AT THE PORT.
Nice assumptions, guy. I have an 828 area code from rural Western North Carolina. I drive a thirteen year old Nissan Pathfinder and own a little old house in the middle of town that I can afford because I didn't over purchase and my wife and I can afford on one income, though it would be tight. If I lost my job, I'd probably be alright because I have marketable skills in today's economy and job market. Maybe I'd have to go to Seattle for a little while, but I'd likely be making good money because I spent the time, money and energy to get out of a dying career in furniture manufacturing and attained higher education for something in demand. But hopefully I wouldn't need to go to Seattle. At this point I think I'd be more interested in setting up shop here and starting my own business. I love where I live, the people we've met and the house we've been working on.

But what about you? You wish you could afford to move? Genuinely sorry to hear that. But maybe you could afford to if you pulled yourself up by your bootstraps and found a better job. I have little regard for people who think they're entitled to good pay in today's job market and would rather attack others who made the effort than put in the work to adjust to the times. You want sympathy? Go back to school, get advanced training, and get one of the jobs in town- or some town- that does pay well. Or, better yet, there's no excuse why you couldn't sell your house and move on. You could easily make enough in this market to profit and relocate to somewhere less expensive and more conservative. But lashing out at people for no reason or because of your situation just makes you look like a jealous snowflake.

All in all, I'm not sure what separates you from the "bums" you speak of. A roof? Your charming attitude? I'd think you'd have a little more sympathy for those who are on their luck considering you can't even afford to move out of town. Again, I'm honestly concerned about the lack of good jobs and high wage jobs in town. I'm also willing to lend a helping hand- even to people who give me the finger back. I'd be glad to buy your bus ticket out of town, for example.

Last edited by bartonizer; 05-04-2017 at 12:12 AM..

Old 05-04-2017, 01:48 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Quote:
Must be a different Bellingham than where I live.

The above viewpoints are from people who don't need to earn a living or live here, really. If you aren't independently wealthy or a bum, Bellingham has little to offer. But, if you're one of those, Bellingham is great. For the bums, we got legal pot, alcohol pouring out our faucets, and a welfare system to die for. If you're of an alternative lifestyle, you will fit right in, too. There are more alts here than in the Bay Area.

If you're a single hetro male, be sure to get the Date Contract signed and notarized.

For the wealthy, there's no end of amusement to the struggles of the white working class. Watch us struggle to make ends meet! Har Har! So amusing! When it gets boring, just rent out your house and move to Palm Springs! It's Paradise!
I work a regular middle class full-time job like most people. We sometimes live paycheck to paycheck but love it here regardless.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:11 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Take in mind if you want the dating/marriage thing to work it takes alot of hard work and sacrifice and placing the other person's needs ahead of your own something I see not happening in the kids nowadays.

This is a Bible principle - putting the other person's needs ahead of your own. No wonder it isn't seen in many people of any and all ages these days. Not many people apply true Bible principles. Instead of saying "well, that's what's gonna bring America down," I won't.

That's what's going to bring this entire system of things under Satanic control down. In Argentina, Mexico, U.S., Canada, Russia - you name it, it's falling. I didn't say it, God did. This whole notion of trusting in man is just that, a potion notion. It won't get you anywhere, unless that man is helping you to understand the Bible, God's Word.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 AM

67 posts, read 208,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Take in mind if you want the dating/marriage thing to work it takes alot of hard work and sacrifice and placing the other person's needs ahead of your own something I see not happening in the kids nowadays.

This is a Bible principle - putting the other person's needs ahead of your own. No wonder it isn't seen in many people of any and all ages these days. Not many people apply true Bible principles. Instead of saying "well, that's what's gonna bring America down," I won't.

That's what's going to bring this entire system of things under Satanic control down. In Argentina, Mexico, U.S., Canada, Russia - you name it, it's falling. I didn't say it, God did. This whole notion of trusting in man is just that, a potion notion. It won't get you anywhere, unless that man is helping you to understand the Bible, God's Word.
LOL I guess it was easy for you to see I was raised on the bible and those principles LOL One day after going to church and doing even more bible reading I realized if the world followed those rules this earth would be in so much better shape. But people dont want to hear that now instead they rather listen to rap and follow kids like the " cash me outside" kid with all her foul language etc. This is the new generation and yes I have wondered how long it was going to be before something horrific happened to us because we didnt follow teachings of the bible..

Old 05-04-2017, 10:28 AM

130 posts, read 322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
... Again, I'm honestly concerned about the lack of good jobs and high wage jobs in town.

I'm also willing to lend a helping hand- even to people who give me the finger back. I'd be glad to buy your bus ticket out of town, for example.
I'm 3rd generation on both sides of my family to be born here. You don't have a clue.

If you want to help, leave. The people who are pushing for legal crack houses and a welfare city are the transplants who will leave as soon as the city turns into a ghetto. Hey, just like all the other cities they fled from, huh.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:06 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Quote:
I'm 3rd generation on both sides of my family to be born here. You don't have a clue.

If you want to help, leave. The people who are pushing for legal crack houses and a welfare city are the transplants who will leave as soon as the city turns into a ghetto. Hey, just like all the other cities they fled from, huh.
That's great that you're third generation here. Would you like a trophy? You happen to have been born in an awesome place. Is it wrong for me to want to live here, too? Are you really mad at every non-native person who moved to Bellingham? Are you really mad at everyone for moving from the town they were born in?

You just want to vent about how things are changing for the (perceived) worse, and I get that. Typical curmudgeon. But you're commenting on a thread where other people have expressed why they're passionate about Bellingham and you've insulted them and condemned them for being here and investing in this place, the place you claim to care about so much. You have no idea who they are or who I am, and you just threw out weak assumptions and in doing so, revealed your own jealousy.

I understand some of your irritation about housing-we scraped together every penny we had to fight through bidding wars with all-cash Seattle and Vancouver investors to buy an 800 square foot house in the town we plan on staying in forever. But should I somehow feel guilty for doing so, and also for being satisfied with my investment in a city with so much potential?

Sorry, we're not going anywhere. After all, it was YOU who said that you wanted to move away but couldn't afford to. So which is it? Are you staying or going? And what have you personally done to make Bellingham great?

Last edited by bartonizer; 05-04-2017 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-04-2017, 11:57 AM

130 posts, read 322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I understand some of your irritation about housing-we scraped together every penny we had to fight through bidding wars with all-cash Seattle and Vancouver investors to buy an 800 square foot house in the town we plan on staying in forever. But should I somehow feel guilty for doing so, and also for being satisfied with my investment in a city with so much potential?

Sorry, we're not going anywhere. After all, it was YOU who said that you wanted to move away but couldn't afford to. So which is it? Are you staying or going? And what have you personally done to make Bellingham great?
Seriously? A bidding war for a Bellingham house? Dude, you got suckered. There's no way in hell I'd get into a bidding war for a Bellingham property. I'd do it for a place in Manhattan, but here?

My great grandparents came here after the Civil War to escape Reconstruction. You don't think we're a little prideful of OUR HOMETOWN? Don't you have a home town?

We're just a working class family watching our town become a ghetto. What happens is people like you move in driving property prices up and bringing in the leeches that always tend to follow you. It's like you're the ghetto builders.

By the way...your area code is a dead giveaway that you're a drifter and have zero connections to my town. Not that I care. We'll be here long after you've moved on.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:51 PM

617 posts, read 1,201,803 times
Quote:
Seriously? A bidding war for a Bellingham house? Dude, you got suckered. There's no way in hell I'd get into a bidding war for a Bellingham property. I'd do it for a place in Manhattan, but here?

My great grandparents came here after the Civil War to escape Reconstruction. You don't think we're a little prideful of OUR HOMETOWN? Don't you have a home town?

We're just a working class family watching our town become a ghetto. What happens is people like you move in driving property prices up and bringing in the leeches that always tend to follow you. It's like you're the ghetto builders.

By the way...your area code is a dead giveaway that you're a drifter and have zero connections to my town. Not that I care. We'll be here long after you've moved on.
I can't speak for Bartonizer, but if it's a forever kind of place, damn straight I'd get into a bidding war for it.

We all have our own definitions of what a hometown is.

Bellingham is not becoming a ghetto. Far from it. It has it's problem areas, but nothing compared to many other west coast cities. Most of the people moving to Bellingham are living here, paying taxes, and contributing to the economy. Sure, there is room for quite a bit of improvement. Housing, jobs, infrastructure, etc. But the same could be said for many places across the country.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:02 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
LOL I guess it was easy for you to see I was raised on the bible and those principles LOL One day after going to church and doing even more bible reading I realized if the world followed those rules this earth would be in so much better shape. But people dont want to hear that now instead they rather listen to rap and follow kids like the " cash me outside" kid with all her foul language etc. This is the new generation and yes I have wondered how long it was going to be before something horrific happened to us because we didnt follow teachings of the bible..

Right on, charleecrat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington