Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 04:24 AM

67 posts, read 208,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Seattle continues to spread outward as more people find it difficult to purchase homes and suffer the daily commute. Bellingham will see a lot of these transplants, and as they move here, the economy will also change. Once a few tech companies relocate, this place will transform. Bellingham already has the bones for this -- a hospital and good medical network, airport and train access, numerous hotels, developing waterfront, proximity to Seattle and Vancouver, etc... We also have stunning views, a nearby mtn for winter sports, the bay and lakes for water sports, several gorgeous parks, great access to nature or farms, coffee shops, breweries, independent stores of all types, a fairly educated population, a university, a ferry to Alaska, etc... stuff that high tech hipsters find valuable. People are snatching up homes because we offer great quality of life and will be THE place to be. What may be unaffordable to some is considered smart investment to others.
I agree, I was told Bellingham has everything Seattle has to offer without all the traffic and congestion. Im still in sticker shock over house prices up here compared to the south like Dallas but compared to Seattle Bellingham looks like a bargain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,521 times
20 years ago I bought 6 acres for $12.000 put home ,shop and outbuildings snow they say it's worth 290,000 , city water, septic, private well , and nooooo neighbors that you can see because you're in the forest. Adding on to my shop this week my completed shop will be 60' x 52' 3 bays and hoist in shop.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:07 PM

67 posts, read 208,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kidd View Post
20 years ago I bought 6 acres for $12.000 put home ,shop and outbuildings snow they say it's worth 290,000 , city water, septic, private well , and nooooo neighbors that you can see because you're in the forest. Adding on to my shop this week my completed shop will be 60' x 52' 3 bays and hoist in shop.
ill give ya 150 for it cash lol

Old 06-09-2017, 02:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kidd View Post
That price isn't much, in the city limits of B'ham, for what you have on the property. Where are you located?

Old 06-09-2017, 03:13 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
[/quote]We did the single income thing for 25 yrs, and still live o the same $40/ month spending money, and drive a $35 car that gets 50 mpg (on grease, No OPEC or dinosaurs required), still buy my tires for $5 ea at the junk yard[/quote]

$40/ month spending money, seriously ???? And a $35 car - do you mean $3500????

Old 06-11-2017, 06:57 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Seattle continues to spread outward as more people find it difficult to purchase homes and suffer the daily commute. Bellingham will see a lot of these transplants, and as they move here, the economy will also change. Once a few tech companies relocate, this place will transform. Bellingham already has the bones for this -- a hospital and good medical network, airport and train access, numerous hotels, developing waterfront, proximity to Seattle and Vancouver, etc... We also have stunning views, a nearby mtn for winter sports, the bay and lakes for water sports, several gorgeous parks, great access to nature or farms, coffee shops, breweries, independent stores of all types, a fairly educated population, a university, a ferry to Alaska, etc... stuff that high tech hipsters find valuable. People are snatching up homes because we offer great quality of life and will be THE place to be. What may be unaffordable to some is considered smart investment to others.
And, then the quality of life will go away. As a native and fifth generation local, I do not want more people moving here. Of course, you weren't here over the past decades so you cannot appreciate what this area used to be like.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 PM

735 posts, read 871,684 times
Lived in Bellingham years ago, moved away, moved back and I have to say I like the new Bellingham. Will it eventually have too many people move here, maybe, but we're no where near that point.

Bham has a bigger brand new Costco, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods (their ready to eat food is amazing), gentrification has improved neighborhoods that use to be a bit seedy and it's great to see all the other new local businesses popping up. Young men and women making a go at it, employing a bunch of eager hardworking people. I was talking to one developer that was building multifamily homes in Lynden and was told that all the units are already rented even before construction was finished! We have housing issues, but slowly we're closing the gap.

Could this be one of our infamous boom bust cycles, sure, but for now I like living in a place that others want to move to. It's better then living in a place that is depressed and loosing residents.

For out of staters I always point out the gloomy winter weather, but if people are accustomed to Western WA weather, Bellingham is a great option as long as you remember there are always some negatives with the positives, no place is perfect. For those who find the negatives outweigh the positives, move, life is too short to be miserable.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:38 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Lived in Bellingham years ago, moved away, moved back and I have to say I like the new Bellingham. Will it eventually have too many people move here, maybe, but we're no where near that point.

Bham has a bigger brand new Costco, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods (their ready to eat food is amazing), gentrification has improved neighborhoods that use to be a bit seedy and it's great to see all the other new local businesses popping up. Young men and women making a go at it, employing a bunch of eager hardworking people. I was talking to one developer that was building multifamily homes in Lynden and was told that all the units are already rented even before construction was finished! We have housing issues, but slowly we're closing the gap.

Could this be one of our infamous boom bust cycles, sure, but for now I like living in a place that others want to move to. It's better then living in a place that is depressed and loosing residents.

For out of staters I always point out the gloomy winter weather, but if people are accustomed to Western WA weather, Bellingham is a great option as long as you remember there are always some negatives with the positives, no place is perfect. For those who find the negatives outweigh the positives, move, life is too short to be miserable.
RE; still lots of room before reaching "too many people"--correct. There are still 1-acre parcels of land in town, still lots of undeveloped land, though that will be disappearing soon enough, I imagine. But for now, there's still plenty of room.

As for Whole Foods' hot bar/prepared foods, the soups are full of starches and fillers (some have the thickness of heavy gravy), and in addition, some are sweetened with sugar. The quality of some of their standard main dishes, like macaroni, has gone way downhill, and no longer looks edible. The small selection of Thai is nice. But be aware that they don't prepare those hot bar items themselves. They buy all of that from a regional supplier, and it's trucked in. In my town, every store carries some of the same salads and soups they have, bought from the same supplier.

Their rotisserie chickens jumped in price by about $2.00 in one year, recently, as they switched suppliers. I suspect they found a cheaper supplier, abut are charging more, to increase their profit margin.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:54 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
RE; still lots of room before reaching "too many people"--correct. There are still 1-acre parcels of land in town, still lots of undeveloped land, though that will be disappearing soon enough, I imagine. But for now, there's still plenty of room.

As for Whole Foods' hot bar/prepared foods, the soups are full of starches and fillers (some have the thickness of heavy gravy), and in addition, some are sweetened with sugar. The quality of some of their standard main dishes, like macaroni, has gone way downhill, and no longer looks edible. The small selection of Thai is nice. But be aware that they don't prepare those hot bar items themselves. They buy all of that from a regional supplier, and it's trucked in. In my town, every store carries some of the same salads and soups they have, bought from the same supplier.

Their rotisserie chickens jumped in price by about $2.00 in one year, recently, as they switched suppliers. I suspect they found a cheaper supplier, abut are charging more, to increase their profit margin.
Sorry, I think there are too many people. If I have to wait one light at an intersection, that is too much traffic caused by too many people. A number of them are elderly retirees who really should not be driving. I have lived here my entire life and do not like the "new" Bellingham. I can remember when so have those memories while most of you do not.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:41 PM

362 posts, read 589,652 times
people lost interest in this thread it seems

well im white and native mainly white liberal somewhat but been voting republican
this whole country is going to hell i think

belligham seems ok in ways but too many mindless liberals maybe

seattle is a joke i guess

if i say its great the scum will move in-so in a way why discuss anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington