Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 03:34 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Again, Bellingham is kryptonite for conservatives. And people get in bidding wars all the time over houses in the middle of Bellingham, so obviously many people are okay without garages. Yes, I could buy a palatial new build in BFE NC (though NOT in Asheville, which is much like Bham) or several other NC cities. But desirable towns come at a cost, especially in the west. Further, much of the housing in Western NC is mill town housing. There's more brick there, yes. But it's not that great, either. The ironic thing is that several curmudgeons on these threads wish for the industrial past- when much of the housing stock locally was built. And yet they complain about how things are now, when anyone who's been around has seen a vast improvement over the last ten years. In other words, it was crappy before, when it was a polluted back alley. I can assure you the people paying $300-$400k now aren't the ones who let things slide into blight, they're the ones making the neighborhoods much nicer.

As to your comments, I find it bizarre how worried you are about the homeless, and considering the fact that many of them live in RVs and you yourself have lived in an RV- how little compassion you have for them. It's also quite comical for you to refer to Bellighamsters as "soft" when you a) live in fear of streets and neighborhoods where tons of people walk, bike, and push strollers down all day, and b) previously lived in a town in NC that puts the average citizen in MUCH higher risk of violent crime and is full of huge blighted, old, shady areas and seriously bad neighborhoods. And, looking at your old posts, you lived in NEWARK, for God's sake. So give me a break when you talk about dangerous areas. There's absolutely no comparison whatsoever.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about, and constantly contradict yourself. The "homeless roaming the streets" stuff is total nonsense. And it's not getting worse, it's improving. Even RK agrees with that. Again, something about connecting streets, sidewalks and any urban attributes whatsoever (like zoning that puts shops and restaurants in neighborhoods rather than faraway strip malls) seems to scare conservatives away. Many other people, however, find it desirable. You want zero pedestrian traffic? Move to a suburb, or plenty of neighborhoods in Bellingham off the beaten path. Or anywhere else in the county. But to say the middle of Bellingham is undesirable is silly, especially when YOU apparently want to be there, as well.
Bellingham definitely has more homeless for its size than Newark. This is expected in a larger dense city of minorities but this west coast white homelessness is on a whole different level. I still have my RV but I always kept it in the same spot near a creek and nature with a driveway and water source... but here they travel from mcdz to the mall to walmart to a park to big lots and railroad ave. One guy from cali tried to sell me drugs when I first arrived here with a uhaul trailer - that was my welcome to Bellingham. He was walking around the parking lot with a plate of strange food. Another RV drives around with a broken Home Depot sign in his window which obviously came from the broken sign on Meridian. When I go to a park or the waterfront, I just never know what one may say or do. You definitely don't want to wear expensive jewelry. I would walk the Nooksack creek if it weren't for the gangs of homeless that camp around there with the beavers. When I really want a good outing I go to Canada. The bellis fair mall is losing merchants, I counted over 20 that are closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 01:35 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
"Folks, by the way Bellingham has a lot of real estate agents as there are no jobs there so it’s easy to finish the course and become a real estate agent. And lie to people how great the town is, nonsense. People are allowed to express their own opinions based on experience they had, a real one. "

Thank you. My family and friends refer to these as "land maggots" which come in two species:

-Realtors.

-Housing market manipulators. "Bellingham is so great rah rah rah cheer cheer cheer", housing prices increase another 30%, profits are taken, and they move to the next town and repeat.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 09-03-2019 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-03-2019, 02:01 PM

Bellis Fair is suffering from a double punch of online competition and sky-high space rents. It's been awhile, but did you know when Big-5 moved out of the mall they were paying ~$24,000/month for their space? Their new location is like 1/3rd of that.
I also noticed that the car club and motorcycle school stopped using their lot because I heard they had raised their rates tenfold (friend in the club said they wanted $5K per weekend!), but recently saw the motorcycle school back in action so maybe things have changed recently?

Old 09-03-2019, 03:25 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftforgood View Post
People who plan to move to Bellingham and people who are living in Bellingham, do not listen to an advice of a paid real estate agents and their lies. They need you because of your money and they will lie to you in every possible way. Bultonizer is most likely one of them.

Bellingham is not a good place to be. Aside it’s an ugly town, with worst climate, there is more to it and Bellingham doesn’t want you to know about it. People are hiding it and keeping it under the table. I saw a lot of it while being there, as I had access to some of the … documentation I cannot disclose here, on a public forum. Trust me, you don’t want to live there if you have other choices.
Check this article about mercury spill that happened long time ago and it’s still there, they didn’t have money to do a complete cleanup…”they made it to be as safe as they could for the money they had..” which basically means good luck, you are on your own. Mercury is a liquid metallic element and most of its compounds are extremely toxic. Mercury can be absorbed through the skin and mucous membranes and mercury vapors can be inhaled. High levels of mercury exposure can harm the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs, and immune system of people of all ages. Think cancer.

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/new...e22215078.html

From one official, regarding mercury cleanup:
"You want to do a $10 cleanup, but you only have eight bucks," McAuley said. "I would say it's reasonable, with the caveat that it's not perfect. ... I think at the end of the day it will be as safe as we can make it for the money we have available. You bury it and try to sequester it and keep people from digging it."

Bellingham Politics and Economics: Cancer Rates in Whatcom County

“St. Joseph's annual cancer reports are informative. There are those subjects that few want to talk about in Whatcom County. Our high cancer rate is one of them. Cancer rates in Washington State are significant. Regrettably, Whatcom County helps lead the way in such significance. This isn't a subject that gets much play here. The "new" Bellingham of ex-urbans, WWU parents and students, and the professional classes really don't want to discuss the fact that they are quite possibly raising or sending their children to the cancer capital of the West Coast. As you might imagine, neither the "development class" or their political supporters want this information well-known.”

“What are some of the possible causes of toxic pollution in Whatcom County? Take your pick:
-pollutants in the water supply
-oil refinery effluent from two refineries
-agricultural pesticides
-at least two "treated wood" facilities
-an ex- pulp plant town (mercury)
-an ex-chlor-alklai factory town
-a reputedly sordid history of toxics disposal with
-small scale toxic landfills reputedly dotted around the county
-an ex naval ship building town (WWII mine-sweepers)
-an ex-coal mining town
-heavy diesel soot from the thousands of big rigs running supplies (e.g. lumber) from B.C. to CA on I-5
-native population with terribly low Vitamin D levels in their blood
-lots of smoke particulate in the winter from families who burn for heat

In truth, Whatcom County and Bellingham have a toxic history that they have been trying to unwind, cover-up, or cover over for quite a while.”
Attached are pics of Bellingham they don't want you to see, two blocks from downtown (if you can call it downtown..)

Good luck and all the best!
Oh wow, pictures of a few industrial areas, alleys, and areas under construction really negates my claim that the area is gorgeous. Again, nice try if you're trying to scare people away, trolly.

I don't think anyone is hiding the fact that Bellingham has an industrial past and is cleaning everything up and transforming the place into an outdoor destination. But negative posters here can't decide what they want- a desire to return to the industrial past, or a desire to shame newcomers for being excited about the newer version of Bellingham? Or is it resentment towards people who can afford to live here? Again, pick a lane.

This thread is a joke, and should be viewed as such by anyone visiting.

Last edited by bartonizer; 09-03-2019 at 04:22 PM..

Old 09-03-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
"Folks, by the way Bellingham has a lot of real estate agents as there are no jobs there so it’s easy to finish the course and become a real estate agent. And lie to people how great the town is, nonsense. People are allowed to express their own opinions based on experience they had, a real one. "

Thank you. My family and friends refer to these as "land maggots" which come in two species:

-Realtors.

-Housing market manipulators. "Bellingham is so great rah rah rah cheer cheer cheer", housing prices increase another 30%, profits are taken, and they move to the next town and repeat.
You're just trying to scare people away with the same things that are happening in just about every city in the west. I'm trying to avoid insults, but give me a break- this is like arguing with a fifth grader. This is ridiculous, you clearly lack any and all perspective. We love living here, it is exactly what we were looking for, and our house has appreciated significantly in value as the area has improved. Again, it's not rocket science as to why I like it here. And again, speaking of my friends who ARE rocket scientists- they're well-traveled and love it here, as well.

A lot of are here very intentionally, and don't be dense-I'm not suggesting that people become realtors. I'm saying that, among many other people who do find Bellingham to be appealing- they are professionals in their field that can give you relevant market data about the area.

You call me a "land maggot" for investing in and being proud of where I live? But you all are somehow making this a better place? Seriously? Grow up, and take your passive aggressiveness and resentment elsewhere.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
You call me a "land maggot" for investing in and being proud of where I live?
It's a question. Are you planning to cash in your home appreciation soon and move onto the next? Are you a realtor cheer-squad for Bellingham?

Old 09-03-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
It's a question. Are you planning to cash in your home appreciation soon and move onto the next? Are you a realtor cheer-squad for Bellingham?
I have nothing to do with realtors, whatsoever, though I may need to talk to one about finding a house for in-laws who are hoping to relocate here. We're in the middle of a bunch of projects to improve our house, and I plan on staying here until at least retirement and beyond. Why would you even accuse me of that, especially considering my posts? Or do you only read parts of my posts, since you don't ever concede any points or address many of the things I've brought up? Are you really amazed that we love it here? Or are only you allowed to decide if it's likable or not since you consider yourself local royalty?

I think YOU'RE the one who needs to answer a few questions? YOU'RE the one moving, after all. Do you own a house? If so, what part of town? Are you planning on using the money you'll make when selling you're house here to purchase a new house, or will you reject the profit and give it to charity? If not, maybe it helps explain your resentment towards people who like Bellingham. My suspicion is that you're a renter who never got in the market when it was more affordable, hate people who did, and like to focus your frustrations at newcomers. It sounds like you've created an imaginary boogeyman, but in reality you're the one with the awful attitude towards the town.

Last edited by bartonizer; 09-03-2019 at 04:34 PM..

Old 09-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Bellis Fair is suffering from a double punch of online competition and sky-high space rents. It's been awhile, but did you know when Big-5 moved out of the mall they were paying ~$24,000/month for their space? Their new location is like 1/3rd of that.
I also noticed that the car club and motorcycle school stopped using their lot because I heard they had raised their rates tenfold (friend in the club said they wanted $5K per weekend!), but recently saw the motorcycle school back in action so maybe things have changed recently?
Are you really using lease and occupancy rates of the regional mall as a metric of appeal the area? It seems you and kynight have somehow managed to miss the massive downward decline of retail shopping and death of shopping malls that is near daily national news and occurring in every.single.other.part.of.the.country?

I fail to understand why you guys keep mentioning national issues and acting like they are unique to this area, and that they should scare people away. Do you understand what trends are? Do you pay attention to what goes on elsewhere?

You may have a rough time living in a new place- especially if it's a comparable size. You'll see that things you complain about here are everywhere- and much worse, in some cases. And you'll likely run into people like yourself who can't stand new people in town. Again, best of luck on your relocation.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I have nothing to do with realtors, whatsoever, though I may need to talk to one about finding a house for in-laws who are hoping to relocate here. We're in the middle of a bunch of projects to improve our house, and I plan on staying here until at least retirement and beyond. Why would you even accuse me of that, especially considering my posts? Or do you only read parts of my posts, since you don't ever concede any points or address many of the things I've brought up? Are you really amazed that we love it here? Or are only you allowed to decide if it's likable or not since you consider yourself local royalty?

I think YOU'RE the one who needs to answer a few questions? YOU'RE the one moving, after all. Do you own a house? If so, what part of town? Are you planning on using the money you'll make when selling you're house here to purchase a new house, or will you reject the profit and give it to charity? If not, maybe it helps explain your resentment towards people who like Bellingham. My suspicion is that you're a renter who never got in the market when it was more affordable, hate people who did, and like to focus your frustrations at newcomers. It sounds like you've created an imaginary boogeyman, but in reality you're the one with the awful attitude towards the town.

At least you answered the question, although several of us are wondering if it's an honest answer. Its not the first time we've had realtors on here posing as residents promoting the area for their own gain/commissions.

I have a unique situation at this time which is really none of anyone's business. All I'll offer is I am building in the place I am moving to. I've been working on it for awhile, I know all the neighbors now, and it's a nice fit.

You seem to miss my point. I see and interact first hand with many people that have moved here and DON'T LIKE IT, but they didn't know the truth because they read all this "the glass is full" drivel online. I have no issue with those that like it here and more power to them, I do have an issue with those that misrepresent it.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 09-04-2019 at 11:17 AM..

Old 09-04-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
At least you answered the question, although several of us are wondering if it's an honest answer. Its not the first time we've had realtors on here posing as residents promoting the area for their own gain/commissions.

I have a unique situation at this time which is really none of anyone's business. All I'll offer is I am building in the place I am moving to. I've been working on it for awhile, I know all the neighbors now, and it's a nice fit.

You seem to miss my point. I see and interact first hand with many people that have moved here and DON'T LIKE IT, but they didn't know the truth because they read all this "the glass is full" drivel online. I have no issue with those that like it here and more power to them, I do have an issue with those that misrepresent it.
Go back and look at my history. I've told my story numerous times in the four years that I've been posting on this particular thread. "Several of us are wondering"? Who, you and four other conservative grumps who are mad that they didn't purchase houses here before the boom, or hate that the town is known as a progressive place to live and tourist destination?

You won't give your own details but demand them from me, and even have the audacity to refer to me as a "land maggot" for researching the city, moving here, loving it, and buying a house.

But to recap, you've never lived anywhere else, and started a thread twelve years ago to gripe about changes occurring to your undiscovered hometown, and about challenges that most cities-especially those that are desirable- face on a regular basis. You apparently DID love it in the past, but now find it unfathomable that people from other places want to move here, and even think that everyone who likes or defends Bellingham is in on some conspiracy to promote it for their own personal gain.

You've threatened to leave a million times, but for whatever reason you're trapped here or just can't muster up what it takes to make it happen. I'm skeptical, but glad that you're going to finally move to some secret, unnamed nirvana-like combination of low prices, low crime, and amenities comparable to Bellingham that you, and you alone know about.

I'm tempted to just call you a loser and move on. But I feel for you. I've been stuck before, and sometimes it doesn't matter how cool a place is; you just need a change of scenery. Twelve years ago, I was stuck. I sold my house, crammed everything into a 16' box truck and moved to CO. I busted my tail, went to grad school, got a great job and a great wife, and eventually decided to move to WA. We settled on Bellingham and couldn't be happier.

Regarding your "points"- I've addressed yours numerous times, it's YOU who won't touch or respond to anything I say. YOU'RE the one misrepresenting things by not including any context or comparisons to anywhere else. As I've done numerous times, I've discussed the housing prices, which skyrocketed in the 2000's, settled down after the recession, and skyrocketed again in the recovery. I also agree that there aren't enough high paying jobs here, and the income to mortgage ratio is too high, as is often the case in this type of small destination city. There are more homeless and more traffic than there used to be. But you seem to think that that all of these things are one big scam, which makes zero sense. Again, they're all results of this being a very desirable place to live, warts and all.

But your argument is like saying that a Ferrari is a terrible car because it's expensive. Bellingham is geographically blessed as the only place where the Cascades meet the sea, and everyone can see where it is located on a map, or look up pictures, or come visit. At some point the city was inevitably going to get pricey. So while I appreciate your decade+ public service announcement, I strongly disagree that people invested in Bellingham are conspiring to hide "secrets" about this place. People love it here, though it's not for everyone, obviously. Anyone considering a move here or anywhere else in the NW should assess their own job and financial situation before making a move, and they should certainly also look up real estate and rental prices in the area prior to taking the leap. Is it hard to find a place to live? Yes, it is. People are in bidding wars on homes, rentals are mostly geared at students and there are almost no vacancies. Does that mean it's a terrible place to live? Heck no, again it's the opposite, and having trouble finding an available place to rent or buy is not the same thing as not liking the city.

Most everyone we meet loves it here with the exception of a couple curmudgeons online and in person who either a) preferred Bellingham when it was much more run down and seedy, b) long for the industrial past and legendary smell of fish processing plants and pulp mills, or c) (like yourself) are natives (or just people who have been here a little longer) and are soooooo mad at Bellingham for being discovered and turning into a mini-Portland or mini-Seattle that they lash out with nonsensical arguments and view newer residents as the boogeyman. Yes, there are some homeless, but that doesn't mean that the city is scary or going downhill in the slightest. There are all kinds of restaurants, breweries, businesses, condos, etc. popping up, as you've complained about numerous times. There are more civic events, more discussion groups about local pride, and more community causes and activities than I've ever seen in a city this size. Trust me from experience, these things do not happen in places where there's no demand or people don't want to be.

But twelve years you've been doing this. Twelve years, and here you are, apparently having decided that moving away was too big of a challenge and instead deciding to appoint yourself as the local decider of whether or not anyone is allowed to like living here or not. Twelve years of frustration, and continuing with your contradictory angles and crappy attitude, for what reason? Again, it appears that the area has clearly worn out its welcome for you and you're now just resentful. And I get that. But it's certainly not a case for the majority of people here, and hating people or insulting them for liking it here is lame. Let it go and move. And at some point, close this thread. It just comes across as sour grapes, not an actual assessment of Bellingham.

Last edited by bartonizer; 09-04-2019 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington