Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2019, 09:30 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times

Advertisements

I have certainly not created any alternate accounts. I have received a number of private messages and comments in support of my opinions on Bellingham from others that have tired of the same issues and have moved or are planning to move. It wouldn't surprise me if someone finds this thread every so often and posts in it that they are or have moved away and why. Note that I am BUILDING where I am moving to, so that means I don't wave a wand and up pops a house. I figure I've got a year to go, and I'm counting every day.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 10-01-2019 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 09:34 AM

499 posts, read 471,216 times
My post was not directed to you, rkcarguy, and I think your position has been consistent through hundreds of posts on this thread without needing alter egos to advance it.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:18 PM

89 posts, read 186,203 times
Wow, this is one of the weirdest, longest-lived threads I've seen!

I don't really see how the main posters can keep this 'Bellingham Good/Bellingham Bad' narrative going since, what, 2007?

Truly impressive!

That said, also pretty useless. I started at the beginning, but eventually skipped ahead to the last few pages...and it's still the same.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:28 PM

1,195 posts, read 986,160 times
I can't get over the bad construction of houses in the area. If that were better I would not complain of other issues.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:19 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I can't get over the bad construction of houses in the area. If that were better I would not complain of other issues.
What are the construction issues?

Old 10-06-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What are the construction issues?
Most issues boil down to a cheap quality of materials used on the homes in this area. There are exceptions, but boy do they have a price tag.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:39 AM

499 posts, read 471,216 times
kynight,

I would broaden this observation to include many homes built From the 1980s going forward, and definitely not just in Bellingham. Since the western states have a lot of construction based on population growth over the past 40 years, there is a higher percentage of these homes in the West. We have owned investment properties in California, Arizona and Washington made during this time period and have seen it fairly often. Mass-produced houses and condos in the modern age, built with higher labor and materials costs, fewer true craftsmen, and an eye towards profits and the bottom line, are just not as sturdy and well built as homes from an earlier era. On the positive side, newer homes do not have asbestos, lead paint and pipes and other environmental hazards.

My point is that plenty of other cities have experienced a drop in construction quality. Newer homes just don't compared to the quality of older homes.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,553 times
Just moved to an apartment in town for the time being. Looking around the area to buy a home. Looked at several different options. My take these days is 300k gets you a minimalist condo. 430k gets you a condo/townhome in the north meridian area...Cookie cutter with the bad weekend traffic. 500 k either gets you an debilitated older house that needs work or a new construction home with NO upgrades with builders stubborn on price. 650+k can you a new build on king mountain with ally access and getting snowed in a threat (city does not pave allies.) Plus walking in their houses I can hear the floors creek...NOT a good first impression and definitely not acceptable for a premium price... 600k town-homes on Astor street....small bedrooms. I suspect the homeless population around the lighthouse mission as well as the mercury poisoning in the waterfront keeping buyers away.

Never wanted to move somewhere where there were so many red flags....Tried to look in Blaine and Ferndale. Don't like the idea of having to drive 30 minutes just to do things in Bellingham. You may as well as live in Vancouver, Washington for Portland if you want to do that. Blaine had nice pocket developments but can feel really rural really fast.

I still resume looking because i have family and friends in the area and would not mind settling here. I do find Bellingham is your typical city with homeless problems because they are realistically priced out of options. Nothing new for the west coast..but i guess alarming because really there isn't to many places left. For the people who don't like Bellingham after the appreciation of property but are stuck here...Can you blame them for staying? Even if you sell for 500K and the realtors and Washington state exit taxes take about 8.5% total...They walk away from a 500k home would about 465K. How many places on the west coast are your going to go where they gets you anything significant more so then what you left?

Old 10-10-2019, 02:27 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthomesearch View Post
Just moved to an apartment in town for the time being. Looking around the area to buy a home. Looked at several different options. My take these days is 300k gets you a minimalist condo. 430k gets you a condo/townhome in the north meridian area...Cookie cutter with the bad weekend traffic. 500 k either gets you an debilitated older house that needs work or a new construction home with NO upgrades with builders stubborn on price. 650+k can you a new build on king mountain with ally access and getting snowed in a threat (city does not pave allies.) Plus walking in their houses I can hear the floors creek...NOT a good first impression and definitely not acceptable for a premium price... 600k town-homes on Astor street....small bedrooms. I suspect the homeless population around the lighthouse mission as well as the mercury poisoning in the waterfront keeping buyers away.

Never wanted to move somewhere where there were so many red flags....Tried to look in Blaine and Ferndale. Don't like the idea of having to drive 30 minutes just to do things in Bellingham. You may as well as live in Vancouver, Washington for Portland if you want to do that. Blaine had nice pocket developments but can feel really rural really fast.

I still resume looking because i have family and friends in the area and would not mind settling here. I do find Bellingham is your typical city with homeless problems because they are realistically priced out of options. Nothing new for the west coast..but i guess alarming because really there isn't to many places left. For the people who don't like Bellingham after the appreciation of property but are stuck here...Can you blame them for staying? Even if you sell for 500K and the realtors and Washington state exit taxes take about 8.5% total...They walk away from a 500k home would about 465K. How many places on the west coast are your going to go where they gets you anything significant more so then what you left?

Most of the people, many of my friends and co-workers included, that have left, leave the state. Some that purchased their homes here a decade+ ago have been able to realize enough equity to cash out their home purchase in the state they moved to and now have much better lives than they did struggling here. Aside from that, if staying within the state, it becomes all about the ratio's of income to cost of living. Bellingham's housing cost to family income ratio is a complete failure and along the same lines as San Francisco with the average home price being in the area of 9 times the average family income. The result is that you need to have at least $150-200K down, or be making $150K+ a year to afford the average listed home. That's only the top 12% of the income earners here in Bellingham.
I really like the Vancouver, WA area, would have moved there some time ago had it not been for family here.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
kynight,

I would broaden this observation to include many homes built From the 1980s going forward, and definitely not just in Bellingham. Since the western states have a lot of construction based on population growth over the past 40 years, there is a higher percentage of these homes in the West. We have owned investment properties in California, Arizona and Washington made during this time period and have seen it fairly often. Mass-produced houses and condos in the modern age, built with higher labor and materials costs, fewer true craftsmen, and an eye towards profits and the bottom line, are just not as sturdy and well built as homes from an earlier era. On the positive side, newer homes do not have asbestos, lead paint and pipes and other environmental hazards.

My point is that plenty of other cities have experienced a drop in construction quality. Newer homes just don't compared to the quality of older homes.
That's true. The newest the homes I've lived in the more poor the quality. I lived in apartment buildings from the 20s that are more solid than a half million dollar house built in 2001. Creaking floors are an obvious sign. The bare minimum of nails are used. Quality parts dramatically increase the cost to build, which is why the only houses I seem to like are ones with over a million dollar price tag, what would be affordable in more rural parts of the country where the development is less than a corporate boom and more of an established community where people plan to live for a generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington