Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2024, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 633 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I know I'm going I-5 So through Oregon,Boise etc. But isnt there a way to go-to Alamogordo without going thru Albuquerque?
It just seems out of the way to me,we will be in an RV, I just want the easier trip,it's our first big trip.
Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 06:22 PM

14,624 posts, read 12,292,841 times
Hi there... not sure where ALL the confusion is, but I-5 doesn't go through Boise, and if you're going TO Alamogordo, I would ask the New Mexico forum for the details on that segment of the trip.

Old 05-18-2024, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 633 times
Sorry,I meant we will do I-5 to Oregon,then whatever freeway to Boise,and then Moab area. My question is once I leave Moab, but I will check in the NM forum. Thank you

Old 05-18-2024, 08:24 PM

220 posts, read 158,280 times
A map might tell you everything you need to know.

Old 05-18-2024, 10:05 PM

5,514 posts, read 7,815,578 times
Highway 191 which will go diagonally across Utah from Provo to Moab is pretty narrow and curvy and somewhat dangerous. Might not be what you want to do as a first-time trip in an RV. That is the shortcut route if you want to get off the freeways.

There isn't going to be a direct route if you stick to interstate highways.

If it were me, I'd just google map it which will take you via 191 and then drive carefully on that section between Provo and Moab.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:32 PM

3,575 posts, read 2,901,727 times
I've done a trip from Seattle to Tucson a few times. There are the major highways that travel through the SW and lot's of smaller, scenic short cuts. If you're hoping for less stress and quicker travel time, stick to the big interstates, the back highways are awesome but only if your willing to take it slow.

Just looked at the map, I-5 down to LA then I-10 to Alamogordo.

Old Today, 09:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,800 posts, read 58,350,670 times
If you want to avoid ABQ, then head from Moab to Silver City, then to Las Cruces (LC) or T&C (Truth and Consequences). No need to go though ABQ.

Enjoy the journey, don't rush, lots to see and do. Add Natural Bridges and Bears Ears + Monument Valley and Petrified Forest. Cats Walk is a very nice NM state park on the way to SC (silver city).- All the above + much more on / near your direct route. Use Scenic Byway and Only in your State + Roadside America as travel guides (also free campgrounds USA and Army Corp campgrounds)

Take your time (and book ahead for Ruidoso camping spots during summer season.)

Old Today, 09:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,800 posts, read 58,350,670 times
Make it a "loop" trip, and hit Roswell and Carlsbad to avoid ABQ on the outbound trip ! Or.... Stay for the Balloon Fiesta and fall Aspen colors. We often leave our RV somewhere far away for a few months, then fly back to PNW to mow the lawn/ pick wild berries / catch salmon and steelhead.... Then fly back to RV, all stocked up with PNW goods. Tucson has $3/ day airport parking. Or rent a storage area near an airport and Uber to airport, (did that yesterday to fly back to WA for a few days).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington