Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Californians beneficial to Washington?
Yes 12 35.29%
No 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,895,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
This person I was replying to said there were no good paying jobs in WA. I countered that the tech market was booming, and then he said something about welders not making enough money. So I was just countering that I wasn't talking about welding jobs, I was talking about tech jobs, and the tech jobs that my husband and I get calls for are in the $100K range.

So obviously there are still good paying jobs here, is the point I was trying to make.

V. =)
I see. So, when you say "if you can't live on 100K then the problem isn't the job market" you are inferring that, since welders don't make $100K a year, they are in the wrong profession? Doesn't Washington need welders as much as tech jobs? Should welders simply accept that they are in an inferior, servile position and be content living in a trailer? Or what?

Maybe I DON'T see, I should say. Perhaps I misunderstand your comment. It strikes me as pretty arrogant. Correct me if I am missing your point. I make even less than a welder. Far less. But I bought property a LONG time ago so I have a nice place (which taxes for I can't afford). I have multiple college degrees and am a combat disabled war veteran. I raised four kids here, 3 of whom are in construction trades. They also do not ever have a prayer of making $100K a year or ever affording real estate in Western Wash. unless I leave my equity to just one or two of them — because split 4 ways it won't buy snot. Should those of us who work with our hands just move away? Who will clean the toilets?

Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,852,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I see. So, when you say "if you can't live on 100K then the problem isn't the job market" you are inferring that, since welders don't make $100K a year, they are in the wrong profession? Doesn't Washington need welders as much as tech jobs? Should welders simply accept that they are in an inferior, servile position and be content living in a trailer? Or what?

Maybe I DON'T see, I should say. Perhaps I misunderstand your comment. It strikes me as pretty arrogant. Correct me if I am missing your point. I make even less than a welder. Far less. But I bought property a LONG time ago so I have a nice place (which taxes for I can't afford). I have multiple college degrees and am a combat disabled war veteran. I raised four kids here, 3 of whom are in construction trades. They also do not ever have a prayer of making $100K a year or ever affording real estate in Western Wash. unless I leave my equity to just one or two of them — because split 4 ways it won't buy snot. Should those of us who work with our hands just move away? Who will clean the toilets?
No, all I was pointing out was that the person I responded to said there were no decent paying jobs in WA, and I was countering that in my experience there are several decent paying jobs in WA in the tech industry. That was the only point I was trying to make, and it was misconstrued by people who obviously hadn't read the full thread.

I was just pointing out that the original post I was responding to was totally misleading.

V. =)

Old 07-25-2008, 07:47 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,895,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
No, all I was pointing out was that the person I responded to said there were no decent paying jobs in WA, and I was countering that in my experience there are several decent paying jobs in WA in the tech industry. That was the only point I was trying to make, and it was misconstrued by people who obviously hadn't read the full thread.

I was just pointing out that the original post I was responding to was totally misleading.

V. =)
I see. OK. And I agree that there are decent paying jobs available in Washington. I didn't, however, feel that that post you refer to was so misleading. I observed his point as being that, for all Washington is an advancing, active, economy — it is hard for many to keep apace.

It is true that tech-type fields, computer-related and bio-tech and such, are on a roll here. And that ties into the topic of this thread. Those fields carry much the same lifestyle and attitude as the California culture being bandied about here. The earnings in those fields, like the money leveraged from California's tech and real estate booms, are setting the new benchmarks for NW lifestyle. I am more educated than the typical tech workforce — to say nothing of my military and civic contributions to our country. But I willingly choose to work with dirt under my nails — which earns me about 30% of what the tech jobs you refer to pay. I prefer my work and accept the realities. My three sons all work the same as I. We build and repair the kinds of homes that folks like you and your husband can afford from tech field earnings. My sons can't afford to buy what we build. And when we find ourselves being flipped off by California (and tech) money, we get some attitude up. It's an old story. But I think those more well off financially would also be well off to consider that the differences between our work/lifestyle choices don't simply come down to the 'intelligensia elite' vs. 'the ignorant, unwashed, plebian worker-bee masses'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington