Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,347 times

Advertisements

Hi there

My husband and I are looking to move to Washington from San Antonio, hopefully somewhere around Tacoma/Seattle. We want to rent (a house would be preferable) but we also want somewhere safe.

This is our first big move and I guess what I'm asking is, where would you recommend a married couple with no kids who don't have a ton of money to spend and only one confirmed job move to?

I've been worried about the negative reports in Tacoma. A friend suggested looking in the Lacey, Puyallup, and Spanaway(sp?), but I don't want to be too far away from the Seattle area. (We're in dire need of things to do!)

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 12:19 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
The North end of Tacoma is very nice, such as the Ruston, Old Town, and Proctor neighborhoods, and there's plenty of stuff to do there.
Most of Seattle is fairly safe, with a few exceptions.
In the Seattle zip codes, you get the most bang for your buck in the 98178 zip code. That's a 20 minute drive from downtown Seattle or downtown Bellevue, and less than 5 minutes to downtown Renton. Renton is another place you might want to consider. Not good school district, but you don't have kids, and an an increasingly fun downtown with less expensive housing.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
Some of them are overgeneralizations. Tacoma has some nice areas, like Ira notes, and others are horrible. And plenty in between - Tacoma is a relatively big, diverse city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriana View Post
I've been worried about the negative reports in Tacoma.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:01 PM

161 posts, read 559,924 times
Tacoma is not that bad. Even the smell isn't that bad anymore. Its not like Watts, areas of Compton or the parts of the Bronx. There are some really nice areas of Tacoma. They have a museum, a nice zoo and its not that far from Seattle. Puyallup is really nice,but not much to do except when fair time hits. Good luck in your search. Its got to be a daunting task to relocate to another state.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,271 times
Default education and research

guys hi i m smith and i m doing research on writing techniques and tips for essays writing or term paper i need stuff if you guys wanna share with me so plz and i also gonna help you out regards essays and tips techniques
u can mail me any time plz i need stuff
http://www.custom-term-papers.net/

Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 13,440 times
Cool. Another Texas transplant! Me and My girlfriend just moved to Seattle from Houston about a month ago. So far we love it!

We chose Kirkland which is a city about 15 miles northeast of Seattle. It's next to Bellevue, Redmond and Juanita. It's not a bad area, although when our lease is up we may find something closer to Seattle, something that has a more neighborhood feel.

We haven't been here long enough for me to give you any great insights or suggestions. I would suggest Ballard, Fremont or Wallingford as i've heard good things about them. Also search on Craigslist. Also, the stadium district in Tacoma i've heard has some old duplexes etc you can rent.

We ended up choosing one of the larger apartments just because it was easier to find when searching from Houston. Rent in my area at least is not too outrageous. We live in a 2 bedroom apt and it's 1300 a month. If the same apt was in Houston, it would probably be around $1000 a month or so, (although my apt in Houston was only $625)....

Anyway, hope this helps. And welcome to Seattle/Tacoma when you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington