Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2007, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,142 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a sophomore in high school and an looking into colleges for me and my best friend. See, me and my best friend want to live together after high school and attend college together, but we both have different career paths in mind. I want to study writing/literature/English (something along those lines) and business-management (which Central Washington University offers perfectly) but my friend wants to get a degree in being a vet doctor. She only found WSU, which is close to home for the both of us.

I guess what I'm asking for advice in, is there a solution? Can we live together and go to different or the same school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 05:27 PM

331 posts, read 2,109,650 times
Those two schools are on opposite sides of the state. So I don't see it.

I would suggest going into the schools websites and finding out what they offer for each of you.

And just a bit of advice from this old gal... live your life for you and do what is best for you. Your friendship will endure if it is strong. You can live on opposite sides of this state and go back and forth on weekends to visit each other. Friends move on and have their own lives and families.. if you make a decision based on anything other than what is best for you... there are usually regrets.

Best of luck to you both!

Old 01-14-2007, 05:55 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
Those two schools are on opposite sides of the state. So I don't see it.

I would suggest going into the schools websites and finding out what they offer for each of you.

And just a bit of advice from this old gal... live your life for you and do what is best for you. Your friendship will endure if it is strong. You can live on opposite sides of this state and go back and forth on weekends to visit each other. Friends move on and have their own lives and families.. if you make a decision based on anything other than what is best for you... there are usually regrets.

Best of luck to you both!
Yes, I would have to agree with this statement. Take it from someone who is working on their doctorate degree, I've known a few people in my 6 years so far in college. You will very likely change your mind. I went through about a dozen majors and it took me 2.5 years before I officially decided on one. I know people that got degrees and still didn't know what they wanted to do. You are only a sophmore in high school, so I wouldn't be stressing too much about college yet. That said, I am a WSU alumnus, so I will shamelessly plug my school and say you won't regret going to that school if you chose to do so. Believe me, a lot can happen between now and when you are ready for college, don't worry too much, just go out and enjoy yourself.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,142 times
Thank you both for your advice.

I understand its a bit early, but my teachers at school are stressing us to research colleges and come up with idea now. I was only playing with one idea about CWU and WSU.

With furthur research, I did find that CWU has a pre-vet program, which is what my best friend was looking for. (It also is perfect for my own studies)

I know friendships don't last, but for the time being, me and her really want to be roommates in a year and a half.

That said, it isn't that far away. My sophomore year is almost over already and then it's another year or so after that, so really college is approaching very fast.

But thank you for your advice!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber-amy-ames View Post
...My sophomore year is almost over already and then it's another year or so after that, so really college is approaching very fast.

But thank you for your advice!
Yikes!!! Sophmore yr!! Be sure to test for Running Start, (jr and sr yr) as it saves 2 yrs tuition! That is a good deal for all, especially your local public school who still gets the $$, tho has to contribute a few cents to the college, you can stay active in HS if it is important, (one of my kids did that, the other focused more on Jr College) Both were very apprehensive, both did very well, and were tutors during running start to adult students (good training) Was good for improving the transition to the U. The stats show ~80% of Jr college transfers complete U, while less than 50% of Freshman entering U complete. Both of mine graduated U with honors (no thx to me, since we home schooled...in spite of me )

One went to WSU and absolutely had a very disappointing education experience. I thought he was bluffing till 3 WSU profs were guest speakers at a business roundtable event I attended. He was correct He felt he wasted his $$ at WSU and certainly his time, but that will be very dependent on your major and the social engineering bent or commitment of your profs. My other kid went to WWU an had a great educational experience, class sizes are impressively low at WWU and CWU. Some are in it for the education and some for the experience. I have hired several WSU grads for my previous employer, some were quite good. I had lots of co-workers who were WSU alumn and pleased enough to send their own kids (most even paid for it..., not too responsible to your kid... IMHO ) Mine ended up $12k in loans at 2.9%. (good incentive to get a job ) They will each get help with their first houses (since we owe them for each building homes as homeschool projects), but no $$ for school, too bad... those were the rules...I'm back in college myself, so they are holding me accountable to not screw up the family GPA .... only one semester left.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 AM

269 posts, read 1,243,774 times
As former WSU faculty member ... to a considerable degree, what you get out of college depends on what you put into it, but academic excellence isn't really WSU's strong point. I was pretty appalled at the reaction (and the papers) I got when I assigned a full-blown term paper in a 400-level course.

The vet school is fine, but admission to vet schools is terrifically competitive.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:21 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabm67 View Post
As former WSU faculty member ... to a considerable degree, what you get out of college depends on what you put into it, but academic excellence isn't really WSU's strong point. I was pretty appalled at the reaction (and the papers) I got when I assigned a full-blown term paper in a 400-level course.

The vet school is fine, but admission to vet schools is terrifically competitive.
I have to agree with both points made here. College, no matter where you go, is what you make it. I transferred to WSU with an AA and decided to go to the dorm in my junior year so I could meet some people and it was the best thing I ever did. I made several life-long friendships with people I met my first year in the dorm. Going to sporting events, especially football games are a great past-time at WSU and are a lot of fun. I have a lot of fond memories at that school and of my profs. I feel it is very personable compared to most other big state schools (like UW), but this will depend on your major.

As far as vet school goes, they have one of the best programs in the country, if not internationally. The competition is fierce. I don't want to discourage anyone, but it is hard and it shows in the dropout rate for pre-vets that change to a different major. Real vet school is, at best, 6 years away from now for you. In undergrad you will figure out what you like and your interests. Also, I agree that you should be looking into running start. It will really save you some grief if you take care of your core classes early. They aren't as difficult as you would think. You could be 1-2 years ahead and be able to start focusing on your major right away when you get to a university, and this could save you 20,000 or more. Just something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington