Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 57,514 times

Advertisements

My family (man, woman, 3 kids) are looking at opportunities in Yakima or Walla Walla. We now live in Bismarck ND. If we're looking for a place with good people, good schools, decent community, where do you recommend we focus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 03:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
I'd lean towards Walla Walla as a personal preference, but jobs might be a little tougher to find. If you need close proximity to the urban jungle, (traffic jams), Yakima is pretty accessible to the west side (also if you need some rain, or a trip to the coast). I feel *** has more problems with minorities, gangs and crime. Unfortunately the previous US 'amnesty' program added to Yakima's population, and the parents were responsible and grateful, yet the following generation is not so inclined. *** is also close to 'Cascades' (Mt. Rainier and Mt. St Helens (good & bad...)

Walla Walla prettier, a bit more laid back, and your recreation will be to the rivers or Blue Mountains. Both are great. It is a bit more remote, but a great little city, and some nice small towns nearby. Tri-Cities has pretty good employment and would be accessible, Spokane is easy to get to for a major city. Portland is pretty ez too, and no sales tax (~4hrs).

Might check for gov jobs @ USjobs.com The prison in W_W or colleges or Hydro Dams / Wind farms could be good spots for employment. I like Waitsburg. (~12 miles east of W-W). I'd research the schools, but will guess W-W will be rated higher and offer more choices. Everyone I've known who lived in Yakima have left for various reasons, they don't recommend it. Most folks seem to rave about Walla Walla. (just my $.02, haven't lived there, but go for seminars / events)

Good luck

Old 01-18-2007, 10:52 AM

Default thanks for the info

this is useful info for me. Thanks for responding.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:11 AM

550 posts, read 3,265,644 times
I'm with janb. I would lean more towards Walla Walla, too. Here's a great article about that area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walla_Walla,_Washington

"Considered by many wine scholars and journals to be "the next Napa", Walla Walla has experienced an explosion in its wine industry over the last decade. Producing some of the finest American wines, Walla Walla is quickly becoming a destination for wine connoisseurs the world over. Many of the wineries have received top scores from respected wine publications such as Wine Spectator, Wine Advocate and Wine and Spirits magazines. L'Ecole 41, Woodward Canyon and Leonetti Cellars were the pioneers starting in the 1970s and 1980s. They have been joined by many noteworthy producers like Walla Walla Vintners, Cayuse Vineyards, Spring Valley Vineyards, Waterbrook Winery, Forgeron Cellars, Tamarack Cellars, Seven Hills Winery, and Pepper Bridge Winery as well as dozens more smaller wineries. Although most of the early recognition went to the wines made from Merlot and Cabernet, Syrah is fast becoming a star varietal in this appellation. One challenge to growing grapes in WW Valley is the risk of a killing freeze during the winter. They average one every 6 or 7 years and the last one, in 2004, destroyed about 75% of the wine grape crop in the valley."

Anyway...I just like the area. And I may be a bit partial because I'm NOT fond of Yakima. We refer to Yakima as the armpit of WA, in my family.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:34 PM

Default armpit? Ouch!

Very interesting. I've lived in places that have a bad reputation (NJ, Durham NC, Bismarck ND) and found that the place usually has some redeeming qualities. Can you give some examples of the problems with Yakima? Is crime everywhere, or like someone said about Walla Walla, pretty much confined to certain parts of town? Is Yakima really bad, or is Walla Walla just so much better?

thanks for your input. We're visiting both cities in a couple of weeks, but its great to be forewarned.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzb99 View Post
Very interesting. I've lived in places that have a bad reputation (NJ, Durham NC, Bismarck ND) and found that the place usually has some redeeming qualities. Can you give some examples of the problems with Yakima? Is crime everywhere, or like someone said about Walla Walla, pretty much confined to certain parts of town? Is Yakima really bad, or is Walla Walla just so much better?

thanks for your input. We're visiting both cities in a couple of weeks, but its great to be forewarned.

These places are somewhat smaller than you mentioned, you can see from one end to the other from about anywhere in town. Yakima is bigger, and it has some nice areas, but... definately a different feel in each. I haven't lived in either, and there are some posts from folks who have (do some searching, as they commented within the last couple weeks). I feel the Colleges and the SDA roots of Walla Walla give it a quality that Yakima cannot achieve. (IMHO...)

Old 02-07-2007, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 15,188 times
I have lived in both Yakima as well as Walla Walla for years. Both have their pros and cons. I personally prefer Yakima, it has more to do and see, is much more diverse, better outdoor life IMO, and a nice proximity to the West side.
Yes alot of people do move away from Yakima after growing up, whether to attend college or just see the world.. but it seems the majority come back.

Honestly it is not nearly as bad as people seem to portray it, it has an exagerated bad rep. Let me put it this way I have lived all over parts of Yakima (including the worst areas) for about 25 years and never had a single problem, not even a broken window, nor have a seen first hand gang violence. Yet first two weeks in a rather nice Walla Walla neighborhood and car got broken into. If any city deserves the 'armpit of washington' designation I think Tacoma should get that..damn that place is worse than Phoenix..

However I'm not trying to be one of the few that root for Yakima, its not for everyone...Walla Walla I think would win for overall quality of life, just a little too slow-paced for me.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:26 AM

550 posts, read 3,265,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftonemonkey View Post
If any city deserves the 'armpit of washington' designation I think Tacoma should get that..damn that place is worse than Phoenix..

I won't disagree with you about Tacoma. Mainly, because I'm not a huge fan of it, either. But I think your experiences in Yakima are interesting.

And I didn't know ANYTHING could be considered worse than Phoenix. YIKES!! Okay, I'm only teasing here people, no need to flame. I'm currently in the Phoenix area and can't wait to get back to normal people in WA.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:31 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,965 times
Yakima it has the miner burger and walla walla has great onions.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:17 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzb99 View Post
My family (man, woman, 3 kids) are looking at opportunities in Yakima or Walla Walla. We now live in Bismarck ND. If we're looking for a place with good people, good schools, decent community, where do you recommend we focus?
Walla Walla, it has far less crime than Yakima does and it's close to the Blue Mountains, it's also alot less deserty in Walla Walla than it is in Yakima.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington