Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 16,047 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I have lived in Washington my whole life in spanaway area. I love snow, but in Spanaway we do not get enough snow for my liking. I was wondering if there is any place in Washington that has quite a lot of anual snow. I do not wish to move out of Washington, so i am hoping that I can find a snowy town/city here. I understand it snows a lot in Eastern Washington, but that is too hot for me and brown. Is Baring or Index a good choice? I want a place where it snows so much it gets annoying. Thanks for everyones help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 07:39 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niack View Post

I want a place where it snows so much it gets annoying.
I love you!!!! I love snow too!!
According to this past winter's reports on the local 5:00 news, any place near a pass, in a pass, or at 1,000 ft was able to get really annoying snow!!! Hahahahaha!!
I think, Niack, it depends on the elevation. In my 20 years here, that's been my conclusion. Maybe you could grab a topographical map and figure out how you could work and still live at elevation? Cle Elum and Roslyn come to mind as my favorite snow-laden places, but there's little else there besides farms and profound beauty. So how would you manage work?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 16,047 times
Thanks for the help! It is so depressing for a snow lover to live in a place like Spanaway. This past year only like 1/2 day of snow and no snow closures! Makes me want to cry! That is true about Cle Elum and such. I was hoping for a city/town in Western Washington, where more jobs are.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Well actually, in Bellevue, Redmond, even more in Issaquah there's snow almost every year. Not a heck of a lot, but there are also lots of jobs, esp in Bellevue/Redmond.
How about working in Seattle/Bothell/Redmond, and driving up to Arlington on the weekends? This year, because it snowed for so long and so late, everything was closed up in Carnation in April!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
North Bend gets more snow that Spanaway or Seattle, and certainly Index would.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:09 PM

30 posts, read 272,349 times
Quote:

LEAVENWORTH!!! Snows so much I left! Average 90 inches per year. Usually has significant snow depth by Thanksgiving and usually lasts into March.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:12 AM

5 posts, read 24,805 times
Any place with high elevation and you're at home!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:13 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
You're probably not going to find anyplace like that in western WA, the settled area is just to low. There are plenty of places that get snow every winter, but unless you consider a few times a year that still melts off in a couple of days annoying, I don't think you'll find it.

Anywhere in the foothills above about 800 feet will get snow several times a year, but it's not going to stick around very long at those elevations. We're at about 850 feet and got several inches of snow several times, but other than that really long cold spell in February it never lasts more than a couple of days.

Go to index. wa - Google Maps and click the Terrain button, you'll be able to see the elevations there. Index and Baring are in the bottom of the valley, around 800-1000 feet. You'll see plenty of snow up in the mountains but they aren't going to get a lot that sticks very long in town. Even so, it would be a lot more beautiful place to live than Spanaway.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:37 PM

68 posts, read 338,480 times
A good chunk of Eastern WA is brown for much of the year, but you might want to visit the Spokane area at some point. It's not like the more desert climate of the center of the state. They get something like 25-30 inches of precipitation a year (not a whole lot less than Seattle), and about 4 feet of snow per year. It does get fairly hot compared to Western WA, but it's quite green there.

Also, even small differences in elevation make a pretty big difference. The hills in and above Issaquah, Renton, Kent, Auburn, Sumner, Puyallup, etc all get noticeably more snow than their respective valleys. Bellingham is another spot that tends to get more than the average for the state.

If you just want to SEE snow, then from Spanaway take highway 7 (Mountain Highway) partway towards the park. You're not that far from places like Ashford that get a bit more snow. Buy a season pass to the park, and you can just keep driving until you see white.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,668 times
Default Where to go in Washington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochoco View Post
LEAVENWORTH!!! Snows so much I left! Average 90 inches per year. Usually has significant snow depth by Thanksgiving and usually lasts into March.

I want to relocate to Washington State. I would like to find a small town where is snows, has a change of color on the trees, and decent summers. I also need to be sort of near a town large enough to offer employment for my husband ( no more than an hour away). Property would be prefered, we have four kids and pets, horses would add to this dream. Great schools are a plus. ???? Please feel free to refer me to other open forums for info, thanks. I've got to get out of this humid place they call Florida.

-Apryl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington