Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 01:36 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,295,373 times

Advertisements

Please convert your currency in Canada before coming to the US. We like having Canadians coming down and visiting and all, but damn....please have some common courtesy. When I go to Canada I don't expect Canadian stores to take US money and therefore exchange currency before I get to Canada.

Apparently people think the stale quote for the Canadian exchange rate that they see in the newspaper is what they should get. WRONG. The prices for the currencies are constantly changing. So sorry but you are not going to get 1.04 for your looney. Retailers here have to take a risk with Canadian funds especially when we sell it to the banks for much cheaper. So guess what, don't throw a temper tantrum if you don't get the overstated quote you see on tv.

This past weekend in Ferndale,Blaine, Birch Bay, Bellingham I have seen some of the worst that Canadians can dish out. At one store I went to they didn't take Canadian. Some Canadians that came through didn't like that and made it known with expletives and threats. Double you tee eff. This is America...not Canada. WE DONT HAVE TO TAKE CANADIAN.

Another store I went to had a Canadian family that didn't like the exchange rate (they were given 93 cents while the banks here buy back at 92 cents) so they made the cashier refund every single one of their purchases holding back the line. Another Canadian in line who wasn't even part of the fiasco started insulting others in the line telling them how crooked Americans were.

Bottom line....have fun and be courteous to your hosts. Don't like the exchange rate? Exchange it in Canada or use a credit card. And don't expect everyone to take Canadian.

And please don't disrespect people.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:20 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,709,386 times
Wow, did you have a bad weekend?

Here's a better idea: forget exchanging money. Debit US cash in the US either at ATM machines or direct debit at the retailer. Changing currency is a ripoff everywhere. It is to be avoided.

My debit card has worked all over the world. Canadians should be able to use their debit and credit cards in America easily.

(maybe you should post this in the Canada forum?)

Old 07-08-2008, 08:29 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,295,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Wow, did you have a bad weekend?

Here's a better idea: forget exchanging money. Debit US cash in the US either at ATM machines or direct debit at the retailer. Changing currency is a ripoff everywhere. It is to be avoided.

My debit card has worked all over the world. Canadians should be able to use their debit and credit cards in America easily.

(maybe you should post this in the Canada forum?)

a series of bad weekends.

debit is even worse. Their debit cards aren't like ours which is carried through Visa or MC. They use interac which US retailers can't use (with the exception of a few major retailers) and yes, I have seen them complain that we don't take them.

And I posted this here because I am sure when Canadians are coming to WA to visit, they may want to peruse through the WA forums to see where to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington