Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 07:27 AM

7 posts, read 23,344 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if there are any forum members who have personal experience with a rainwater system for POTABLE water usage in a residential setting? And as a primary system, not as a back up to a well? If so, I'd love to speak with you and get your take and overall impression with these systems. In the past, they had a reputation as being very granola, hippie-dippie kind of thing. I think some of the new designs are quite sanitary from my understanding but wanted some 1st hand experience.

This Hirst decision is making a big mess; I want to do my due dilegence as there is some land available that I have my eye on.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 09:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,758 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Don't count on Rainwater meeting the requirements of FT water service (tho can be used fine, just that WA counties are not gonna approve it as a primary source.)

My WA Counties require a Water Service provision notice from county Water Purveyor B4 the county will even discuss residential use. (Same with septic) it is a 'pre-step', so you will not get started in the permit process until these boxes are checked. (By the building Dept)...

legally, WA has very lax / beneficial use of Rainwater Collection and reuse. (many people do not know that rainwater from their property is NOT legally their available water)

Not clear that WA ECY will allow primary / potable (Unlikely, tho possible) I have been investigating adding 20,000 underground tanks to a couple properties in WA. (and in TX)
Rainwater Collection in Washington State | Water Resources Program | Washington State Department of Ecology
Rainwater Collection to Augment Water Supply | Water Resources Program | Washington State Department of Ecology

Old 08-12-2017, 10:06 AM

7 posts, read 23,344 times
Looks like that link is out of date though:

Exempt Well/Water Information | Whatcom County, WA - Official Website

A. Prior to issuance of a building permit or other project permits, the applicant must provide Whatcom County planning and development services evidence of adequate water supply as documented by a water availability notification signed by the director, except as described in subsection B. The water availability notification shall document a supply of potable water adequate to serve a land use associated with a project permit in terms of quality, quantity, and legal availability. The applicant must provide evidence of legal availability in the form of:

1. A water right permit from the Department of Ecology, or
2. A letter from an approved public water purveyor with sufficient water rights, stating the ability to provide water, or
3. Documentation that water can be supplied by a rainwater catchment system approved by the Whatcom County Health Department, per Department of Ecology Policy 1017.

It seems to me that Whatcom county is allowing the use of rainwater harvesting according to the county, assuming it meets the County Health Department.

Anecdotally, I've heard that the number of permits the county is issuing for primary rainwater collection is increasing. Through the grapevine, they got 12 applications last month. Someones putting these in.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:06 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,363,794 times
Here's a link to a video by a YouTuber couple that put in a rainwater harvesting system in Arizona:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETWQbtwO8eE. They've got multiple other videos on the same subject and links to other YouTubers doing the same thing, plus many other related videos.

Looks like the Hirst decision may be responsible for getting rainwater harvesting moving along.

Last edited by Angry-Koala; 08-12-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 07:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,758 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Whatcom County is only one of 39 WA jurisdictions. I would expect them to be one of the most lenient. but. They may not go for it, but a properly designed and maintained system will certainly work. I'm glad I have my own dozer and excavator. For digging a 20,000 gal hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington