Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:08 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,336 times

Advertisements

I have to thank TommyG for making me laugh with the winter weather forecast of showers turning to rain to showers. I live in NorCal near Sacramento and we have a similar summer forecast (for the 6 months of summer we have here) that is hot turning to **** hot. So we never need to look at the weather forecast--it's just plain hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2006, 02:00 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Here's my advice: don't let anyone else tell you what a good climate would be for YOU.
I moved to Oregon from Arizona 17 years ago. In terms of my cognitive appraisal of Oregon, I prefer everything about it to Arizona. But the seasonal affect does get me down. Don't underestimate how much this can diminish your quality of life. I, myself, am quite torn. I love where I live, but I don't really FEEL good here. It's as if I have some horrendous vitamin defficiency, but it's really just the lack of bright sunshine.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:40 PM

11 posts, read 51,427 times
Talking Thank you to all respondents

My wife and I have elected to buy a home in Central Arizona where it's sunny and cooler and are about to close on a house. I still think there's an excellent chance that we'll move to Western Washington in the years to come if I can find the right kind of teaching position in a desirable location. I just love Gig Harbor and Kitsap Peninsula and I can only hope that these places don't become totally cost-prohibited. It seems that GH is already and I doubt that property values will ever go back down there. Again, I want to thank you all for giving me your "two cents." There are a bunch of great people on these forums and I'm glad I found this feature of the city-data site.
Regards,
Rastaman

Old 06-13-2006, 07:08 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times
That's a good choice, perhaps a bit too hot but there's always AC.

Gosh I could never live in WA. It's really nice overall but the overcast and rain all the time would make me miserable. I didn't even include the area in my list of potential areas I want to live.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:02 PM

21 posts, read 351,590 times
Angry Moved from NA CA to Everett, WA

I moved from sunny nor california to Everett, WA. I have seen the sun maybe a total of 10 days since my move here. The adjustment has been too hard for me and I will be moving back to California. I will be moving to Monterey, where at least I will have the sun and some life in me again. I have felt like a walking zombie the last 8 months! I physically feel ill and tired all the time. Never again!

Old 06-17-2006, 09:34 PM

331 posts, read 2,108,765 times
I have had the opposite effect. I moved here just under a year ago from ALWAYS SUNNY So Ca. and I love it up here. I live on the east side and I can't say it is always grey. We have days but then the sun peeks out and then goes away and comes back. We had 8 days with no rain and I was missing it. On the 9th day I was thrilled to wake to overcast wet skies!

Old 06-21-2006, 09:59 AM

18 posts, read 180,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookielady
Not all of washington is wet. Yakima is very dry and we have 300 days of sunshine.
How are the summers and winter snows?

Old 06-22-2006, 11:20 AM

148 posts, read 1,228,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415
It's as if I have some horrendous vitamin defficiency, but it's really just the lack of bright sunshine.
Interestingly enough, a lack of exposure to sunshine can lead to a Vitamin D deficiency.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:01 PM

11 posts, read 51,427 times
Talking Thanks again: Read all the comments

We've settled on Payson, AZ for now. It still gets near 100 on hot sunny days, but unlike the Phoenix area, it starts to rapidly cool down about 3:00pm and usually dips into the mid to upper 50's on summer nights. It's a beautiful place.

Tommy G: Your response was especially insightful and indicative of the quandry I find myself in. I love the beauty of the area in the summer and the presence of the oceanic beauty; however, I am very concerned about seasonal affective disorder (SAD) kicking in during the long, rainy winter.

Take care everyone,
Rastaman

Old 07-03-2006, 10:58 AM

273 posts, read 1,649,448 times
In case anybody is interested, there are various companies that sell light boxes and such for people who suffer from S.A.D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington