Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 05:20 PM

7 posts, read 35,868 times

Advertisements

I have heard there is a theory on population increase in Whatcom County after the 2010 Olympics in Whistler, BC. Can someone please explain this theory?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:25 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
The theory is:
When the Olympics happen, many people will spend time visiting neighboring areas, including Whatcom County, discover how beautiful it is, and feel that they have no choice but to move there.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,834 times
Default Whatcom County Olympics 2010 Service Initiative

Your theory is correct, one thing that is happening right now within Bellingham, Whatcom County and throughout the Northwest is that the businesses within the area are preparing through marketing, higher service standards and other ways to take advantage of the 2010 Winter Olympics held in Vancouver, BC through the 2010 Service Initiative http://www.servinit.com

----------
Mike

http://www.lli5s.org
http://www.hamflap.com
http://www.etcwa.com

Old 09-30-2008, 07:10 AM

291 posts, read 948,060 times
Hmmm...not good. I guess that means the housing prices will go up. I am hoping to move to the PNW and I was hoping to find a reasonable market when I start looking (next June 2009). I guess I should not assume that will be the case though.

Hi IRA. Am I correct in assuming that this will drive the price of homes up?

wc@h

Old 09-30-2008, 02:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West coast at heart View Post
... Am I correct in assuming that this will drive the price of homes up?
Unfortunately, that happened in earnest several years ago, when the Vanc BC Oly announcement was made, values were already climbing and will continue.

You may find some rural spots that don't have employment and a too far for a commute that may stay affordable.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:54 AM

291 posts, read 948,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Unfortunately, that happened in earnest several years ago, when the Vanc BC Oly announcement was made, values were already climbing and will continue.

You may find some rural spots that don't have employment and a too far for a commute that may stay affordable.
That is unfortunate. Well maybe the drop in the housing market will help ease back on the rise until I am able to find a home. I don't mean any harm to people trying to sell their homes. I just don't want to go broke trying to move to the PNW.

Is it safe to say that the further away from the Canada border, the less likely the price effect will be a problem?

wc@h
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington