Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM

34 posts, read 164,778 times

Advertisements

Hello! As we are getting closer and closer to moving from California to Washington, I find myself researching more and more! Unfortunately, I have yet to find the answer to my next question (and everyone on this site is so friendly and knowledgable - thanks)!

*IF* Mt. Rainier were to erupt, I know no one can say with "certainty", but would the areas of Gig Harbor and Port Orchard be in harms way??

Thanks everyone for your time and knowledge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 03:12 PM

98 posts, read 442,830 times
Default eruption

Hello. I am not a scientist but if/when Mount Rainier blows again Gig Harbor and Port Orchard could possible receive some ash but any type of lava mud flow would empty through the rivers to the puget sound and the Narrows in South Puget Sound provides a buffer from that possiblility to Gig Harbor and Port Orchard. When Mount St Helens blew ash blew all over eastern WA and then to the atmosphere via the jet stream and if Rainier blows the jet stream will carry it away likely due east. If you were to relocate to Eatonville, Enumclaw, possibly Sumner and Puyallup there may be greater cause for concern from the flow. I think Seattle and Tacoma would be fine in the event of an eruption.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Have you read this current thread? Contains a vast amount of information and references:
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...-eruption.html

Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 AM

34 posts, read 164,778 times
Thumbs up Thank you.

Cabocurtis and Allforcats ~ Thank you both sooo much for your replies! I know that my concerns are a bit silly at times, but everyone on this forum has been so wonderful! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! Living in California, we have the earthquakes to be wary of, volcanoes have never before crossed my mind! I am so excited by your answers! Thanks again!

Old 09-23-2008, 04:45 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
You're very welcome, Vykki. There are lots of possible silly answers in life, but there's no such thing as a silly question. If we don't ask, how will we learn? Keep on thinking and having fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington