Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:33 PM

13 posts, read 85,023 times

Advertisements

first of all, to those considering Bellingham and Blaine from Socal, they couldnt be more different. Blaine is lame. Bellingham is just an environmentalist/hippie college town. The ONLY area I would advise you to check out is the Eastside. Bellevue and Kirkland etc. They are clean safe and quiet, yet close to the action in Seattle and theres plenty of green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2006, 06:03 PM

148 posts, read 1,228,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domesengr
Hi, I live in the foothills of central California. My family and I are planning on moving to the Olympia area within the next 6 months. We are looking for affordable (yet nice) housing on 1 to 5 acres of land, good schools, friendly people, shopping within 15 minutes, and lots of greenery. My husband is focusing his job search in Olympia and Tumwater and can handle a commute of up to 45 minutes. We found a home in Montesano that sounds very appealing. Does anyone have any feedback on the Montesano area? Or perhaps a suggestion of a better area... Thanks!
Beautiful city, but also the most overpriced in the county. Best schools in the area. Try looking in Cosmopolis as well, or for the nicest homes (on less land), the Aberdeen hills. Very similar atmospheres.

BTW, I moved to the WA coast last year from Nor Cal. Best thing I could have ever done for my family and I.

Last edited by Marka; 04-21-2006 at 12:43 AM..

Old 04-21-2006, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,436 times
I live in Nooksack Washington

Old 04-21-2006, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,436 times
Bellingham is a beautiful, laid back (what's wrong with hippies anyway?) scenic city.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,214 times
Default Sequim

We've been looking into the pennisula area. I haven't seen one post about this area, what's wrong with it? When we were there a few years ago, we fell in love with Sequim, Port Townsend, Port Angeles and the Ho rain forrest. Supposibly, the weather there is the closest to So Cal of all of WA. Being from So Cal, we were drawn to the small town atmosphere of this area for a change in retirement. Got to get out of So Cal! We have relatives in Snohomish and Camano Isd.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:58 AM

653 posts, read 1,802,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw1283
Bellingham is just an environmentalist/hippie college town. The ONLY area I would advise you to check out is the Eastside. Bellevue and Kirkland etc.
Boy, you sure told us who you are with that one.

Bellevue and Kirkland are going to be more upscale urban. (and Republican) Traffic is unbearable to downtown Seattle.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 13,119 times
bellingham represent

Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by routaibt
We've been looking into the pennisula area. I haven't seen one post about this area, what's wrong with it? When we were there a few years ago, we fell in love with Sequim, Port Townsend, Port Angeles and the Ho rain forrest.
I've never been to Sequim, though I have heard bad things about it. Though I must say that the bad things I heard were from Seattleites who would define abject torture as anyplace farther than 500 yards from a Starbuck's. It may be a fine place for all I know.

I love Port Townsend and Port Angeles both. Probably my favorite towns in all of Washington State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by routaibt
Supposibly, the weather there is the closest to So Cal of all of WA. Being from So Cal, we were drawn to the small town atmosphere of this area for a change in retirement. Got to get out of So Cal! We have relatives in Snohomish and Camano Isd.
You'll definitely get the smalltown atmosphere, though whoever told you that the weather was like Southern California must have been smoking something. Nowhere on the coast of Washington ever gets terribly cold or very hot, but if you move to Sequim, be prepared for rain, rain, rain, and then some more rain. That part of the state gets more days of rain than any part of the U.S. Myself, I love it, but coming from So. California it might be a bit of a shock for you.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:08 AM

149 posts, read 1,022,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw1283
first of all, to those considering Bellingham and Blaine from Socal, they couldnt be more different. Blaine is lame. Bellingham is just an environmentalist/hippie college town. The ONLY area I would advise you to check out is the Eastside. Bellevue and Kirkland etc. They are clean safe and quiet, yet close to the action in Seattle and theres plenty of green.
Ha ha, that's funny. I lived in Bellingham 20 years and sure met a lot of conservative Republicans there. I guess I could generalize too and say Bellevue and Kirkland is nothing but a bunch of rich yuppie snobs.

Western Washington has it's good and bad. I would say the good was:
schools, lots of outdoor activities, friendly family oriented people, gardening

The bad was:
Traffic ( yes the people are friendlier, but it's STILL traffic), 4-5 months of low dark cloud-cover and rain, over priced housing, competitive job market, allergies ( if you are allergic to mold or grasses, don't move there)

I did see my share of families move to Washington, love it at first, then the weather eventually gets to them and they leave. If you are prone to depression, the dark winters can get to you. There is a high suicide rate in Seattle.
My ideal would be to live in Washington in the summer, then live some place else from November to March. Gotta win that Lotto first tho!

Old 05-27-2006, 06:34 PM

12 posts, read 97,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S.
I've never been to Sequim, though I have heard bad things about it. Though I must say that the bad things I heard were from Seattleites who would define abject torture as anyplace farther than 500 yards from a Starbuck's. It may be a fine place for all I know.

I love Port Townsend and Port Angeles both. Probably my favorite towns in all of Washington State.

You'll definitely get the smalltown atmosphere, though whoever told you that the weather was like Southern California must have been smoking something. Nowhere on the coast of Washington ever gets terribly cold or very hot, but if you move to Sequim, be prepared for rain, rain, rain, and then some more rain. That part of the state gets more days of rain than any part of the U.S. Myself, I love it, but coming from So. California it might be a bit of a shock for you.
I understood that Sequim get approx. 13 inches of rain a year. We are also looking at maybe moving there from FL.
Mary P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington