Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:55 AM

57 posts, read 198,930 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone

Yes yet another "is it for me" question ... but please give me your feedback positive or negative - I appreciate it.
I have researched and read all I can about Bellingham and am really liking what I've read/seen so far. I know the only accurate way to get a good/bad feeling from a place is to go visit but I am still going to put this out there ....

I am originally from the upper midwest - so cold does not bother me. I am wondering though if Bellingham gets alot of ice in the winter as well as the cold temps? Also, does anyone know if the job market is good for nurses in Bellingham and/or surrounding towns?

Thanks everyone!
g7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Hi goose. Welcome to your adventure!

In all your research, I guess you haven't yet gotten to researching the climate. This is the maritime Pacific Northwest -- there's almost no ice, not much snow, hardly any cold or wind, and a completely different climate from the upper midwest. Donate to charity your earmuffs, scarves and gloves.

You might want to check City-Data.com's statistics page which provides climate info along with every other kind of stat available:
//www.city-data.com/city/Bellin...ashington.html

For the job market, here's the Bellingham Herald so you can check the classifieds:
The Bellingham Herald: Your Local News Source for Bellingham, Lynden, Ferndale and Whatcom County Washington

If you "Search" (upper right of each City-Data page) you'll find many threads about Bellingham on the WA forum. Here are a few that might provide some info for you from locals:
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...m-good-me.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ellingham.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...gly-truth.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...gham-area.html

Old 11-14-2008, 03:24 PM

9 posts, read 21,262 times
what I did not know about Bellingham was very high property taxes. Make sure you read other threads and find out if you can afford it. You can really find good advice in this forum! Thank you all who care enough to take time to educate the rest of us!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:53 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niemernyt View Post
what I did not know about Bellingham was very high property taxes.
Niemernyt makes a very good point about property taxes. WA has no state individual income tax; no city in WA has a city individual income tax. So the state and municipalities have to get funding in other ways, including sales tax and property tax.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:02 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Property taxes are a function of sales prices. They just increased because the selling prices of houses has (until recently) soared.

Bellingham's winter is very similiar to May in n. Wisconsin.

My advice is to visit before a move, as most of the difference will be sociological, in my opinion.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:09 PM

57 posts, read 198,930 times
Default sociological?

Geechie

How do you mean sociological? Are people more friendly etc in one place vs the other?

g7

Old 11-15-2008, 02:15 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Based on my experience of 1/4 century (plus) in n. Wisconsin, plus 4 years as a part-time resident of Bellingham, plus 1/4 century in the coastal South (needed info as preception is based on background, I believe) I'd have to say Bellingham has a more 'boomtown" mentality to it, vs upper Midwest.

People aren't as friendly, service in stores is poorer, and the newest trends are more evident and in your face. I sum it up with the expression that "Bellingham is 20 years ahead of the Midwest, and that's not a good thing."

On the positive side, public services, like schools, are still fairly good, and crime is nothing like you find in the boomtown cities of the South.

As for outdoor resources, that's the real draw, in my opinion.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:39 PM

362 posts, read 589,154 times
maybe one week of ice and 2 weeks of snow or less

its hard to walk in the ice and it sucks

Old 11-22-2008, 04:12 PM

43 posts, read 161,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose7 View Post
Hey everyone

Yes yet another "is it for me" question ... but please give me your feedback positive or negative - I appreciate it.
I have researched and read all I can about Bellingham and am really liking what I've read/seen so far. I know the only accurate way to get a good/bad feeling from a place is to go visit but I am still going to put this out there ....

I am originally from the upper midwest - so cold does not bother me. I am wondering though if Bellingham gets alot of ice in the winter as well as the cold temps? Also, does anyone know if the job market is good for nurses in Bellingham and/or surrounding towns?

Thanks everyone!
g7
If you are working class move to Seattle first,if not go for it!

Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 PM

362 posts, read 589,154 times
i never go anywhere anymore

maybe i like bellingham
but its so boring i suppose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington