Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 07:03 PM

8 posts, read 22,354 times

Advertisements

I live in Everett WA. Population 120,000. I have researching to move to Walla Walla. I like the information I found online. It sounds so friendly, and fun.

What is your opinion?
Whats the pro's and con's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,155 times
I've lived in Walla Walla for six years. I went to college here, and now I'm working for a while to get my feet on the ground.
When I first moved to the valley, there were many open fields within the city limits and little traffic. Since then, numerous housing developments and new roads seem to have taken over the open spaces. Rose Street, a main thoroughfare, is now often clogged, and it's nearly impassable after work or on Fridays. Some people speculate this is because of the wine industry, and it's true that there are many more tasting rooms and wineries than when I first came. In fact, I don't remember noticing wine's "presence" back then. The changes in Walla Walla have made me less happy living here. It's a small town with few amenities, as others have mentioned, and the problems of bigger towns are coming in faster than new possibilities. Walla Walla also has a very high hispanic population, which is neither a benefit or a drawback, but is an important element of the the town's flavor. For example, Mexican restaurants by far dominate the mid to low-range eating choices.

The positives are, as I see it:
• A pleasant, quaint downtown, including some quaint shops
• A strong arts/culture scene
• Several lovely parks, including a modest network of trails near Bennington Lake
• Close proximity to blue "mountains," which provide suitable camping and hiking opportunities
• Three active, respectable colleges
• Low cost of living, though not as low as six years ago

The drawbacks include:
• Hot summers and intolerably foggy winters
• Nearly no retail shopping, and the nearest "city" area, Tri-Cities, has better but limited options
• Few employment opportunities
• Increasingly crowded and poorly maintained streets
• Polarized population: Many retirees, many college students, few in between
• Far from cities, oceans, and real mountains
• Overloaded doctors, with very few accepting new patients
• 24-hour glow from the penitentiary
• Few middle-of-the-road restaurants

Old 11-27-2008, 10:40 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
We don't go over to Wally very often but it seems like a nice enough place. What you might miss are some of the semi-urban amenities and variety, because Tri-Cities is the closest source of such things and it's definitely not going to have as many options as SnoCo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington