Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,634 times

Advertisements

Right now, my husband and I live in Battle Ground, WA. We like that it's safe and semi-rural, and being near Portland, OR allows us to find politically or culturally like-minded people.

However, I am about to start my job search...and if I find something, we would like to buy our first home together, and we'd like it to be somewhere with more snow. Yep, that's the big draw - more snow.

So here's the top things we're looking for.

-A one or two bedroom home preferably in the 200,000 range suited for a two people, with a decent backyard for our dog.

- Reliable snow in the winters...here in BG you will get snow but you only get an inch at a time most years with the occasional freak storm (very, very occasional...) I grew up on the East Coast and then in North Dakota, so I'm big on white Christmases!

- In Oregon or Washington preferably. The closer we could stay to Portland the better, or close to Seattle, where some of our friends live.

- Forests or mountains nearby...we like our evergreens. We're fine with rainy as long as we get the snow, too.

- A place with decent job opportunities...remember, I have to get a job there first before we can buy a home there!

Things that are NOT important:
-coasts and beaches
-air travel
-schools below college level

My research on this site has turned up Tacoma, the Tri-Cities, Opportunity, and not much else. My dad suggested Sandy, OR. I'm starting to feel like the site's data isn't giving a complete picture (the site says Sandy doesn't really get much snow, but he says it does...) and I could use some personal input!!

The two biggest things we want are in bold above: snow and reasonable prices for semi-rural houses with yards.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

(We'll consider suggestions in other states if they're absolutely perfect but we'd prefer to stay in OR and WA.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 05:06 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
We get comparatively little snow in the Tri-Cities. There simply isn't enough moisture in the air often enough. You might consider someplace like Walla Walla, which isn't so far from the Blues. As for culture and politics, I have no idea what you seek so I have no idea what to say, except that it's a college town.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 8,634 times
j_k_k,

thanks for responding.

Little snow compared to what? According to the city-data's stats, you get twice as much as we do here in SW Wa, which would probably not be too bad. But I am wondering about the accuracy of the snowfall statistics....do you think <a href="//www.city-data.com/city/Kennewick-Washington.html">they're about right or no?</a>

Old 12-10-2008, 06:26 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,473 times
Have you considered Spokane? You could find a house in that price range with a yard and you will get snow (some years more than other of course) but you will get some. It is a bit of a ways to Seattle and Portland but both are a pretty easy drive (4 and 5.5 hours) and there are quick and (usually) cheap flights. You get forrests and mountains and the city is big enough to have job opportunities. You won't get much snow in Tacoma or the Tri-Cities and the Tri-Cities also doesn't have much in the forrest department.

Good luck with your search.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:41 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
j_k_k,

thanks for responding.

Little snow compared to what? According to the city-data's stats, you get twice as much as we do here in SW Wa, which would probably not be too bad. But I am wondering about the accuracy of the snowfall statistics....do you think <a href="//www.city-data.com/city/Kennewick-Washington.html">they're about right or no?</a>
Let's put it this way. I've lived here since 1997. Most winters we get at least one snowfall of a few inches, sometimes several that may be up to 6". One year, about 4-5 years back, we got an authentic snowstorm and sustained freeze with over 2' of snow, which stuck around for two weeks before it even started melting. We usually will get a sustained cold snap (below 20) at some point, but most of the winter is without snow.

I don't know much about the Battleground area climate-wise. I would tend to assume it was more similar to the Portland climate than different. I did live in Seattle for quite a few years and snow was rare there, slightly rarer than here. But the two really didn't compare because the greater factor was ice; in Seattle, the minute the road surfaces got below freezing moisture began to freeze to them, creating instant hockey rinks. Here, because there is less moisture, icy roads are rather less common even though we'll spend a good percentage of the winter below freezing.

And Kena is definitely right about trees. Were it not for humans planting them and watering them in some way, I'm betting that except for the river shore area and places well drained by the hills, we would have zero trees. We have a lot of sagebrush and sand. If you want more forests, you either look to the Blues or the north. As you approach Spokane on the freeway, it's just bizarre. Miles and miles of desert and sagebrush, then ahead a wall of trees. Within a few hundred yards of transition you go from desert to evergreen forest.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
For WA...Wenatchee (or Cashmere, for a better spot and 15 min longer commute)

You could do some areas at the base of western slope mtns, and still commute to bigger places to work (~ 25 min) or.... go eastside. Probably Spokane if you need a city for jobs. You didn't mention your career path. Newport, Colville, Kettle Falls are nice.

I would also consider Sandpoint or Moscow ID, possibly areas around Boise

for OR...(my last choice, due to state funding issues) Bend or surrounding towns (Medford), Prineville, or east to LaGrande, or south to Klamath Falls.

If snow is primary, and beach not important, I would consider WY (Sheridan, Buffalo, Powell, Cody)
or Montana - Bozeman is pretty decent and good access to WY, Tho Columbia Falls is pretty nice and fairly close to Canada. (Great camping and low crowds)

Colorado has decent tax structure and very nice levels of sunshine (enjoy the snow in short sleeves during some days in the winter, or when driving around in your 'sun warmed car')

Albuquerque is nice too

For the most snow near Portland... Gov Camp area... or in WA, Trout Lake (Husum / BZ corners may be adequate.) or Parkdale in OR

Old 12-28-2008, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,730 times
Default Sandy, Oregon

I just moved to Sandy Oregon for a job that fell through. According to the natives they do not get alot of snow and what they get comes in Jan and melts in a few days. We had about three feet dump on on us and stay. Most people were trapped in their houses for a week or more due to the snow. THe city does not plow the side roads at all. THe parking lots of the stores are horrid. My apartment complex did not do a thing on the walk ways, or drive or parking lot and I have two cars I could not move. I would not move here even if you do love snow. THere is no shopping, we have a bimart, a dollar store, a fred meyers and one grocery store- safeways. People are rude, they stare at you or ignore you as if they never see people who arent born here. I hate it and plan to leave as soon as my lease is up. THis is a drive through town at best, there are no jobs and my kids are bussed to Boring for school despite living less than a mile from the schools in sandy.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:36 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times
Wink Elevation

Tacoma, WA? Sandy, OR won't be much different, along with Battle Ground, WA all are at low elevations and far more prone to enjoy (or not, depending on how you look at it) rain than snow. Seems like Spokane, WA got a fair amount of snow in this last storm, but generally eastern Washington state should be like much of the interior west, with relatively little dry snow. That includes Colorado, although there are specific places such as the San Juan mountains where it snows a lot. Believe the state line of Montana/Idaho, near Yellowstone NP, also enjoys heavy snow.

But never fear, in Washington and Oregon all you need is elevation to insure a great deal of snow. Which basically means the Cascade mountains or those of the Olympic Peninsula. They have a Pacific climate similar to that of California's Sierra Nevada, which means lots of heavy, wet snow come winter.

The trick of course is balancing proximity to where you want to be with where you need to be at times. If remaining near Portland, OR, it appears you might venture a bit closer to Mt. St. Helens and be satisfied. Not sure about specific local road closures, but generally anything at an elevation of 3,000, and certainly 5,000 feet should suite you. For instance, the pass between Eugene, OR and Sisters, OR is closed in winter, but if open high enough might otherwise suite you. Closer to Portland you might venture east along the Columbia Gorge and then either north, or possibly more likely south towards someplace such as Mt. Hood. Due skiing, that road should take you well above the snow line.

This would also apply to Mt. Baker, near Bellingham, WA. In some respects you might find Washington offers more locals in the Cascades with ready access to a major metro area (Seattle, WA). Maybe Hyak, WA, directly on I-90? Maybe more like Skykomish, WA? Silverton, WA doesn't have as much elevation but seems to nevertheless enjoy a fair amount of snow (presumably, as I encountered more than enough just past Granite Falls, WA and turned back). A nice place if you're looking for beauty and quiet, and very little else.

Wouldn't exactly know, but somewhere near Port Angeles, WA might be suitable. This may prove too remote for you, in which case the Cascades a better choice. The trick here would be access. Port Angeles apparently received a fair amount of snow in this last storm, but is at sea level. You'd have to go up, and a very short distance away at Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park you'd have all the snow ever hoped for. But you can't live there (unless quite imaginative). So then someplace high enough near the Park, and there are various access roads around the periphery of the Park. But conditions in winter and so forth I just don't know.

$200,000 might buy you a nice dog house in Seattle, but it usually rains there anyway. If remote enough it is probably possible to have the home (and snow) you want. But the balancing act in this equation what kind of access you have to shops and services, and how important it is to be there and how often. It also means heavy timbers for the roof as that kind of snow has a lot of weight. You may really love it but living in snow presents certain challenges that may make a rain soaked view of snow capped mountains slightly better. On the other hand a true winter landscape has a magic all its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington