Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 PM

34 posts, read 98,601 times

Advertisements

I've been to Olympia, but never in Olympia if that makes sense. And it was years and years ago and I just don't pay attention because I didn't care. Now that we are moving there (I think it is for sure now), I want to know all about it. The good the bad and the ugly. I searched for topics on it but want more info. Not sure what it is I am looking for regarding info. What do you like? What do you hate? When I see pics of Oly. it usually shows downtown and the Capital building area which looks incredibly beautiful. Well, what about the rest of it. Does it look depressed like a lot of smaller WA towns and cities? What do you do as a family there? Do you have pictures of your regular ole' neighborhoods that you would share to let me try and get a feel for it? And yes, before we move we will be checking it out to make sure the vibe fits. I grew up in various areas in Western WA so I love the PNW, but I also would only live in certain areas because a lot of the towns are smaller and are depressed economically. Over load my mind with any and all information. I don't care how random it is. Oh, and are there areas that I should stay away from? The run down, wrong side of the tracks areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 05:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
The westside of Olympia is much nicer than East Olympia. Downtown Oly is doing very well, I wouldn't call it economically depressed at all. I was there a few days ago and downtown Olympia seemed like it was thriving. All kinds of small businesses doing well, and interesting restaurants, and a couple of great places for coffee.
Maybe it's the combination of it being the state capitol and home to Evergreen College, but it seems like a great place to live, and I liked living there 30 years ago, but it's a lot nicer now...It also has a great school district.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 AM

What are the zip codes in the better area and the other area? West and east? So you would say that Oly doesn't really have a trasy area to avoid?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,039 times
Afinebalance,

There is not one neighborhood in Olympia that you could say is "the wrong side of the tracks". They all have a unique feel to them and offer different amenities. You can check out photos and info on some of Olympia's neighborhoods here:
www.southcapitolneighborhood.com
www.olympiauncovered.com
http://www.neneighborhood.org/
Eastside Neighborhood Association

There is a lot to do for families in the Olympia area. Here is a thread I wrote a while back that lists the places to go and things to do in the summer:
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ml#post1200018

And here is a list of places to go and things to do when the weather is yucky:
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ml#post2170450

The west side zip code is 98502, the Tumwater zip code is 98512, the downtown Olympia zip code is 98501, much of the east side is 98506.

You can find out a lot about Olympia by going on the city website:
Welcome to the City of OlympiaWelcome to the City of Olympia

I hope this information helps.

Sandy

Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 AM

479 posts, read 2,223,432 times
I love Olympia!

There are lots of good options in the area to choose from in the Olympia area (Lacey, Tumwater, Tenino); older, newer, rural, or suburban neighborhoods within a few miles of each other.

Do you care about schools? The Olympia school district has a very good rep. Olympia High School, Washington Middle school and the elementary schools that serve it are in nice areas, zip code is 98501, which is the area I am most familiar with.
http://www.greatschools.net/city/Olympia/WA

This post has some good information and a few pictures as well. //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ml#post8114747

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM

Wow, great info guys! Thanks! I'm sure this post is redudant so I appreciate your answering my questions.

All those pictures were wonderful, and boy do I miss the fall colors of the PNW.

I do have a two year old and a 3 month old so schools is very important. It looks like they would get a great education there.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:48 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The westside of Olympia is much nicer than East Olympia. Downtown Oly is doing very well, I wouldn't call it economically depressed at all. I was there a few days ago and downtown Olympia seemed like it was thriving. All kinds of small businesses doing well, and interesting restaurants, and a couple of great places for coffee.
Maybe it's the combination of it being the state capitol and home to Evergreen College, but it seems like a great place to live, and I liked living there 30 years ago, but it's a lot nicer now...It also has a great school district.
East Olympia 98506 includes the Boston Harbor area which I find to be very nice and it has a very good elementary school...

Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 AM

I must say that I have never heard of a city where all the inhabitants (that I have come across) have nice things to say about the place. I don't think I have heard one complaint about Olympia. That is either terrifying, or really cool
If Olympia is really this awesome (which I am inclined to believe) I'm going to start telling people how much it sucks so that people don't start to flock there. Me excepted

Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Every place has negatives, including Olympia, a place I lived in 30 years ago and still like quite a lot.
It rains a lot there. More than in Seattle. The east end of downtown is just slightly scuzzy. The patchwork of people there includes the self righteous left wing longhairs (something that doesn't bother me, but does some people).
The greatest breakfast place ever is long gone ( Davis Brown Derby), though the building is still there.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:19 PM

I agree that every place has negatives. I was just commenting that I haven't heard anyone claim them yet : )
I think I have it built up to be this city where the sidewalks are made of gold. Okay, no not really.
Does anybody want to share any of the "dirt" on the city?
Oh, and I know about the rain. I have lived in the PNW most of my life, in various cities up and down WA. I miss rain. I know that Oly get about 50" a year compared to 37 in Seattle. I live in Denver right now and while it does have its charms, I need rain, green grass, a plethera of flowers and trees, natural bodies of water, diverse wild life...I miss me some rain. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington