Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:08 PM

53 posts, read 258,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I lived in Longmont, bellingham, and now live in Gilbert. Seems like we should have some of the same friends by now.
When did you live in Longmont? How would you compare Longmont to B'Ham, and have you eaten at the Maria Maria in Tempe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:33 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedy View Post
When did you live in Longmont? How would you compare Longmont to B'Ham, and have you eaten at the Maria Maria in Tempe?
it would be like comparing blue to red. Longmont is, in my opinion, not very attractive, and kind of run down, however because of its drivable distance to Denver, it might be a place where you could by a nice home and be able to afford it. Bham is one the the most beautiful cities in the united states and a source of phenomenal outdoor activity (when its not raining). Bham has Vancouver WA and Seattel, where as Longmont has Denver and.....uh Cheyenne(ok Boulder too) Bham has a college atmosphere, and is rather liberal, whereas Longmont is very conservative.

Bham, 1 week of snow a year (normally) Longmont: you'll be shoveling snow out of your driveway for 5 months.

I lived in Longmont in 07 and 08,
have never tried Marie Marie...why, do you recommend I do?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Default Tempe

I want to know if anyone has eaten there. I was down there last fall but did not have the opportunity to eat there. The restaurants in Phoenix are amazing, so I wouldn't imagine anyone being dissapointed at the Maria Maria.

I almost agree fully about your opinion on B'Ham and Longmont. There are parts that are deffinatley old looking, but they really look no older than they did when I grew up here. So they have always looked that bad. The surrounding area of Longmont around Pace and Airport road are nice, its just too bad Longmont can't do a better job with Main Street.

Have you ate at Joe's yet? They have the BEST BBQ! I'm sure you have, but if you havent you must. Other places to eat are the Zink Bistro in Kierland Commons, Diseos (Westin Kierland), Aloha Kitchen (Get the Mana Pua), Garcias or Julio II's (Poyo Fundito/Magnifico). I nice place to chill and have a drink is the Billet Bar on Scottsdale Road. Even though its a biker bar, everyone is welcome. I miss the HECK out of Phoenix, so enjoy everything to its fullest!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 9,119 times
Important to bear in mind...we are in corner of US with infamously lousy realtors, questionable-value newspaper (Bellingham Herald) and no Redfin representation (yet). Resist buying or go ahead and buy but know we're 20% overvalue and fools jump in or listen to a word of realtor spew.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:36 AM

Default Mount Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicetoseeyou View Post
Important to bear in mind...we are in corner of US with infamously lousy realtors, questionable-value newspaper (Bellingham Herald) and no Redfin representation (yet). Resist buying or go ahead and buy but know we're 20% overvalue and fools jump in or listen to a word of realtor spew.
What is Mount Vernon like? I've never been in it, but buy it on I-5. Also I am well aware of the value of the homes there, and unfortunatley they are not over valued. That is their value. My house in Phoenix since I sold it has dropped over $100k. Also, if your looking for a GREAT realtor, go with Lorena Foster. She was awesome, even though we were unable to buy a house with her.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,678 times
I am planning on moving to Bellingham fro Scottsdale. Any words of wisdom?

Mike

Old 09-10-2009, 08:02 PM

131 posts, read 323,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhyre View Post
I am planning on moving to Bellingham fro Scottsdale. Any words of wisdom?

Mike
Bring cash. Lots of it.

And No Whining about anything.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Bring cash. Lots of it.

And No Whining about anything.
probably has lots of money, hes moving from Scotsdale. Personally, I would remain in Scotsdale. Yeah I know its 101 degrees right now, even as I write this (in the morning), but its a fun beautiful city, lots of great retail.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:19 PM

5 posts, read 25,521 times
I have to agree with Loriandrandy on one point.....the weather is OPPRESSIVE....actually, that word does NOT even come near to explaining what it's like for 8 months of 12!! I grew up in Texas and NM, so I understand how awesome it is to see the rain when you haven't for a bit, but I promise, you've NEVER seen weather like here.....to see NOTHING, and I mean that, but gray sky, gray roofs, gray roads and not even the horizon...for MONTHS...gets very, very wearing. You will literally not see a shadow for almost the entire winter, which really does last 7-8 months. When it's beautiful here, I've not ever seen any place as wonderful, but if you like to garden, or walk or do anything related to the outdoors, REALLY think it over, you will not get enough sunshine.
Also, B'ham government is TOTALLY anti-car...so our roads SUCK! They actually took votes to allow the "grade" of one of our busiest roads to get to and stay an "F"!! They all seem to take a lot of pride in their stand against cars and their drivers...which is bizzare to me! They took the main highway that runs from B'ham to the Canadian border and removed almost every single traffic light and put in the tiniest, most poorly designed "round abouts" in at all those intersections!! They've been working on "The Guide" for 3 years and they aren't even close to done! There are four seasons here....Rainy season 1, Rainy season 2, 4 weeks of summer season, (sprinkled, literally with periodic gray days), and road construction season.......no kidding!
I know that the above seems over the top, but trust me, (I've lived here for almost 22 years and can't get out till my husband can retire!), what LoriandRandy wrote is so, so true!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 8,343 times
wow!!! i had planned on moving from vegas to bellingham but after reading these posts i am completely discouraged...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington