Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:00 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
"As a lot know here on this forum, I'm not a fan of the weather on the west side of the Cascades. But Ellensburg is dry, has seasons, and yes, windy but I personally like the wind."

When you say wind what are you calling windy?? I've lived in Cheyenne and Laramie Wyoming, extremely windy and often. And now on the western end of the state where people that are from here think it's windy, it's not. So everyone has a different idea of wind. Could you tell me more? Thanx

Well, now that you mention it, yes, when people say "windy" it's all relative.

I just took a quick look at the city-data stats and you're right, Ellensburg is statistically not as windy as either Cheyenne or Laramie:

Ellensburg:

//pics.city-data.com/w4/wnd23024.png (broken link)

Cheyenne:

//pics.city-data.com/w4/wndz149.png (broken link)

Laramie:

//pics.city-data.com/w4/wndz216.png (broken link)

In fact, it's surprising to me that Ellensburg is actually less windy than the U.S. average.

Interesting.

--'rocco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 06:15 PM

14 posts, read 90,208 times
Default Eburg vs Wenatchee

'rocco- nice to hear about your adventures in WA etc-

I guess another issue I'm wondering about is water. Eburg is arid, but has lots of irrigated agriculture. I see that there is some new development going on, and am wondering about the pressures for farmers to sell land and water to subdivisions. Maybe most current residential water systems are ground water? Or maybe from Yakima river? Does anyone know about water quality/quantity issues there?

As far as wind- I was looking at the graphs of average wind speeds throughout the year. They compare a city with the national average (on the "Detailed Profile" website). I don't know if the graph is correct, but Ellensburg doesn't really look windier than average- in fact it looks much *less* windy than many parts of Colorado. But it's also possible that taking the average masks the actual experience...?

-Olivyaroz

Old 03-11-2007, 06:18 PM

14 posts, read 90,208 times
Default Eburg vs Wenatchee

Although, I do know that there are several proposed wind farms in the works, so maybe the city-data graphs aren't that acurate? Or maybe it all depends on the measuring site!

Olivyaroz

Old 03-11-2007, 11:14 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
Hi again, Olivyaroz.

Yeah, I don't know about the water situation. I'm hoping that somebody can answer that. I'm curious about it myself now that you are mentioning it.

As far as the wind goes, you're right, I've been reading quite a bit about the wind farms. I always thought it was quite windy there but I suppose it's a subjective thing as well. I'm thinking you're correct when saying the City-data graph might not be accurate. If I were to have guessed, I would have said that Ellensburg is windier than the national average.

--'rocco

Old 03-23-2007, 06:41 PM

61 posts, read 402,321 times
Hi there,
CWU student who's finishing up his last quarter here. Eburg is a nice town with friendly people. Just don't stand out too much and you won't get stared at.

The winds are intense sometimes but they help keep the temp down in the summer. Also Wenatchee is pretty busy while Eburg is a little more slow. Closer to Seattle too which is a plus. The hospital here is great!

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:42 PM

15 posts, read 124,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivyaroz View Post
Chris, thanks for your comments. I've heard Ellensburg is windy, but the graphs on the detailed profile website don't seem to show it. I currently
live near Denver, and the average wind speeds look much higher for this area on the graphs than in Ellensburg...anyway, what did your wife like about Eburg?
-Olivyaroz
Ellensburg is a big town...Wenatchee is a city,

Ellensburg MSA has about 40000 Wenatchee MSA 140,000. Ellensburg is beautiful, a wide valley with a University. I-90 goes straight through. Wenatchee is jaw dropping in the right place. Huge Moutains all around, river running down the middle.

Both are laid back. Wenatchee has warmer weather, elevation 700 ft, especially in the summer, hence the orchards. Ellensburg, elevation 2000 ft, grows hay, hence the cows, if you want Virginia City Cowboy aka Montana go to Ellensburg, if you want the Norhern Arizona aka near Sedona choose Wenatchee.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Be aware of people posting on memory of....Ellensburg is 1/4 the actual MSA size of Wenatchee. If you want to live in a small city, that is really a town during the summer, go for it.

Apples, peaches, pears and cherries grow in Wenatche because thier average temps are 10 degrees higher that Ellensburg year round. Ellensburg sits at 2000 ft, Wenatchee 700.

See for yourself, Wenatchee is 100,000 plus in a thin valley of purple mountain magesty, Ellensburg 30,000 in a pasture of green manurity, growing hay and cow flatulents.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:17 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,023 times
They are both small towns, nevermind what the MSA says, and you will not find a lot of hustle and bustle in either of them, even with "big town" Yakima around the corner.

I believe Ellensburg is quieter than Wenatchee, but if your looking get away from big city life with decent education (well, decent for WA), Central/Eastern WA is perfect for you.

EDIT: OMG this thread is like a year old

Old 10-19-2008, 07:41 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
All I have to say is "Applets and Cottlets" YUM. I can't get them here in Montana, well I guess I could mail order them !

Old 10-25-2008, 05:53 PM

Default There is a reason Ellensburg dosnt grow apples

Ellensburg is a cow town. 1000 feeet higher than Yakima, 1500 ft higher than Wenatchee. It is a wide valley that grows hay for cows, which there are plenty of, their weather does not support fruit very well. Not much of a downtown except the rather small college. It is small time in sports so it is not like people come to watch their games. In the summer it is like being in a town of about 4000. Yakima is much bigger by say, 600% but that comes with a ferocious gang problem and the adage that Yakima is the armpit of Washington aka Bakersfield CA. Wenatchee is bad due to sky rocketing house prices and incomming from Seattle. Fresh fruit everywhere and amazing views.

If you like small cow towns then Ellensburg will suit you well.

If you like mexican gangs then Yakima is where you might choose.

If you like magestic views of the Cascades and a much higher cost of living then Wenachee is the right choice.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington