Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

Outside of the Seattle area, where would be the next city with a large Asian population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:43 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,102 times
Honolulu?? San Fransisco??
Or do you mean within Washington state?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,046,095 times
Aside from King (including Seattle and its suburbs), Pierce (including Tacoma and its suburbs), and Snohomish (Everett and its suburbs) Counties, I'm guessing that Clark, Thurston and Kitsap counties would be next in shear numbers. So, Vancouver in Clark county, Olympia/Lacey areas in Thurston county and Bremerton and Bainbridge Island in Kitsap County.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:29 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
All cities of any size (40K and up) in Washington have Asian communities, and some small towns have what might be called enclaves--generally assimilated, on their third generation, and generally Japanese American in background. Washington's Asian communities are embedded in the state's character, and it is a rare longtime Washingtonian who is surprised to meet an Asian person in any walk of life--from governor to Walmart greeter. And BC's Asian population is even proportionately greater. From Pink Mountain to Osoyoos, if one for some reason had an issue with staying in an Asian-owned motel, one would sleep in one's car a lot.

So, in answer to your question, #2 is really the rest of Washington: first the Puget Sound outskirts, but also Van, Spokane, even Tri-Cities and Crackima.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:49 AM

I'm going to disagree with j_k_k. Spokane, Yakima, and the Tri-Cities have relatively small --I'll go as far to say extremely small Asian populations both percentage-wise or by number compared to the locations I mentioned previously.

I'm also going to say the Washington's third generation Japanese-American population do not live in enclaves. When mentioning especially the Japanese-Americans, they are fully assimilated and now can be found anywhere in the state not living in any specific enclave

So to more directly answer your question, one would have to define what you mean by "Seattle area." If that includes the suburbs of Seattle or Tacoma and Everett, then my previous answer still stands. Again, either by numbers or percentages, I don't believe any of the cities on the east side of the Cascades can come close.

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-16-2009 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,525 times
Asians have been part of those communities for generations, but I think you're right - in percentage terms, the numbers are small. In Vancouver (WA) also. Washington is right up there nationally in terms of Asian population, but it's definitely concentrated in the Seattle-Tacoma area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I'm going to disagree with j_k_k. Spokane, Yakima, and the Tri-Cities have relatively small --I'll go as far to say extremely small Asian populations both percentage-wise or by number compared to the locations I mentioned previously.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 AM

263 posts, read 1,078,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Outside of the Seattle area, where would be the next city with a large Asian population?

Here ya go man:
State and County QuickFacts

Washington QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

And if city is not on the drop-down list, just choose other on the DD list, GO, and enter name of CITY. This will give you more speficic values than the normal HTML view (it comes out as a pdf).

eg, bellevue:
http://censtats.census.gov/data/WA/1605305210.pdf

Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 AM

263 posts, read 1,078,937 times
Default misconception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
All cities of any size (40K and up) in Washington have Asian communities, and some small towns have what might be called enclaves--generally assimilated, on their third generation, and generally Japanese American in background. Washington's Asian communities are embedded in the state's character, and it is a rare longtime Washingtonian who is surprised to meet an Asian person in any walk of life--from governor to Walmart greeter. And BC's Asian population is even proportionately greater. From Pink Mountain to Osoyoos, if one for some reason had an issue with staying in an Asian-owned motel, one would sleep in one's car a lot.

So, in answer to your question, #2 is really the rest of Washington: first the Puget Sound outskirts, but also Van, Spokane, even Tri-Cities and Crackima.

What cities in Washington have more Japanese than Chinese? Most of the minority Asians in most of the towns are Chinese or a group other than Japanese.

Vancouver (main is chinese/vietnamese):
http://censtats.census.gov/data/WA/1605374060.pdf

Seattle (main is chinese):
http://censtats.census.gov/data/WA/1605363000.pdf

Tacoma(main is vietnamese/korean):
http://censtats.census.gov/data/WA/1605370000.pdf

Yakima(main is filipino):
http://censtats.census.gov/data/WA/1605380010.pdf

Spokane(japanese/vietnamese):
http://censtats.census.gov/data/WA/1605367000.pdf

Olympia(ivetnamese):
http://censtats.census.gov/data/WA/1605351300.pdf

Not many japanese at all compared tot he others as I can see.....

Old 01-16-2009, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the breakdown, Mike. I was going to do that when I had the chance but my time is very limited nowadays.

The stats you've reported are from the 2000 census so I have to believe they've shifted somewhat but it still gives a pretty good idea of the distribution.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post

I'm also going to say the Washington's third generation Japanese-American population do not live in enclaves. When mentioning specially the Japanese-Americans, they are fully assimilated and now can be found anywhere in the state not living in any specific enclave

So to more directly answer your question, one would have to define what you mean by "Seattle area." If that includes the suburbs of Seattle or Tacoma and Everett, then my previous answer still stands. Again, either by numbers or percentages, I don't believe any of the cities on the east side of the Cascades can come close.
Then let's substitute 'clusters' for 'enclaves'; I wasn't writing with precision. It's not that they're not part of mainstream life.

I guess the description of the proportion is a matter of perspective, but over here I seem to run into plenty of Asians, drive by Asian churches, and so on. Not as many Asian people as Hispanic, of course, and not as great a percentage as Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington