Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:44 PM

45 posts, read 263,679 times

Advertisements

The Olympic Peninsula, ghetto by what definition? Sequim certainly is not as working-class (although city proper is actually rather poor), but I can't imagine how you can call Port Townsend "ghetto," or Port Ludlow, or most any of northern Jefferson County...

Shelton does have major crime issues, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 09:49 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
Best: Ballard

Worst: Kent

(worst based on areas that I've spent considerable time in - obviously the list of bad areas would be much more obvious).

Old 03-17-2007, 09:59 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
Just to add to posts above, the only areas I'd consider ghetto on the Olympic peninsula would be parts of Port Angeles, and parts of Bremerton.

Property crime is a problem in many areas though.

I'm not sure if Hoquiam is part of the peninsula but parts of it would definitely qualify.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 PM

64 posts, read 360,671 times
Best for culture? Seattle, obviously.

Best for what exactly?

This is just waaaaay to open-ended. And I don't live in WA, so... =P

Old 03-23-2007, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 16,723 times
Are you looking for info on places other then seattle?

Old 05-06-2007, 01:07 PM

8 posts, read 102,097 times
How are you defining "ghetto"?

Old 05-06-2007, 01:18 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
why is there so much property crime up there?

Old 05-06-2007, 04:47 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpod View Post
How are you defining "ghetto"?
Fair question. I never really considered most of the penninsula "ghetto" aside from Sequim. That's ridiculous! Some parts are quite depressed due to the logging and timber industry but for some reason, to me, ghetto really doesn't apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
why is there so much property crime up there?
My suspicion is drugs? Meth problems lead to more property crime, burglaries and such because the addicts can turn the stolen property over for continued personal drug activity? Just a guess.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 15,925 times
Aberdeen and the rest of Grays Harbor I would say is very ghetto looking. The homes are known for there dry rot, most burn down, there is alot of vancant lots and garbage everywhere. Aberdeen is a mess. For Seattle area I would say Tacoma particuallry around Lakewood, if you dont count the mansions on the lake. White Center isnt to great either. I think Everett is kind of palin and dumpy

Old 05-07-2007, 11:02 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
You know it's bad when you hear yourself and others say "it's a town with potential" Bremerton and Aberdeen qualify but probably not in my lifetime. Lots to do in Seattle but expensive and too much traffic. So far, nowhere I've been beats Olympia. Best town I've lived in--feels very safe, on the water, lots of parks, three colleges, a Farmer's Market, an arts community, and still has a downtown area. It has not turned into a big shopping center; it still retains its character and uniqueness. Sometimes the people are a little oblivious to others but I've made good friends. I visited Vancouver WA and it was dead. I heard it is a bedroom community to Portland and it seemed like it. I'm hoping I can find a job in Olympia when I am finished with college but if not, I might consider moving back to NM for the sun and dancing since I don't want to live in Seattle or Tacoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington