Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 03:19 PM

473 posts, read 1,700,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachview View Post
There are property taxes in WA but no State Income Tax. The Property tax went up about 500% for me in 2010. Yes 500% you can take a look at the Stevens County Tax Assessor's web site for property tax info.
That's the main problem with Washington. Alot of people losing their homes because of this and leaving. There is no cap of how much it can increase like here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 04:08 PM

13 posts, read 71,749 times
Aberdeen/Westport is the worst place to live. I've never seen so much filthy dress and attitude in my life. I don't dare take my children out of our home anymore. It is just sick, sick, sick!!! One example is that they have a mannequin in downtown Aberdeen outside in front of the Star Wars shop that is dressed in black net lingerie with a monster holding a chain to her neck. I can't believe they allow such bondage and beastiality here. This town is cursed and damned to hell. The Lord is taking His people far from this place to a Godly land. Run if you can and don't look back.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,217,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintotennessee View Post
Aberdeen/Westport is the worst place to live. I've never seen so much filthy dress and attitude in my life. I don't dare take my children out of our home anymore. It is just sick, sick, sick!!! One example is that they have a mannequin in downtown Aberdeen outside in front of the Star Wars shop that is dressed in black net lingerie with a monster holding a chain to her neck. I can't believe they allow such bondage and beastiality here. This town is cursed and damned to hell. The Lord is taking His people far from this place to a Godly land. Run if you can and don't look back.
I'd laugh and go on to the next thread most times I read such a woo-woo post but, on behalf of all the hardworking and pious people who make this area their home, I say DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS ON YOUR WAY OUT.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintotennessee View Post

It's probably a halloween display.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:24 AM

8 posts, read 36,687 times
stingray427 another more rural area in WA is Skagit County. Very rural county, the biggest town is the county seat Mount Vernon which has about 26,000 people.

Some of the towns you might want to check out:

Sedro-Woolley - Very small town, slow paced even the downtown area (aka the main street in town) is slow paced. A lot of festivals - Founder's Day Festival: includes a reenactment of a bank robbery that occur in town in 1914,
Blast From the Past, Loggerodeo: one of the oldest 4th of July celebrations, has parade, rodeo, logging competitions including chainsaw carving (the town's downtown area is full of carvings from the competition) and a carnival are a few.

Burlington - Basically a slightly more commercially developed Sedro-Woolley (though the population is actually lower - about 4,000 less people) It's probably the busiest town in the area (excluding Mount Vernon because of it's size) since it's where most people in the area do their shopping (Burlington has a Target, K Mart, Costco, two small malls [one is an outlet mall], and two supermarkets - Fred Meyer and Haggen [all of these larger shopping centers are located around each other so the other parts of town are nice and quiet]) but it's still has a nice small-town feel. Has the Berry Dairy Days Festival in the summer.

La Conner - Population around 800. Downtown is on the water, with nice architecture (including very beautiful Victorian houses) but filled with "artist" types and is expensive. The outskirts of town though are rural and also very pretty.

Lyman and Hamilton - Are both very small towns (though there are smaller unincorporated towns) about 400 people in Lyman, about 300 people in Hamilton. I wouldn't recommend moving to Hamilton though because it experiences some pretty bad flooding every few years (I remember hearing about people wanting to move the town to higher ground).

There are 3 other incorporated towns in the county but I didn't include Mount Vernon and Anacortes because of their higher population, and Concrete because it get's a lot of snow in the winter.

There are a lot more unincorporated towns you might want to look at as well.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRS View Post
stingray427 another more rural area in WA is Skagit County. Very rural county, the biggest town is the county seat Mount Vernon which has about 26,000 people.

Some of the towns you might want to check out:

Sedro-Woolley - Very small town, slow paced even the downtown area (aka the main street in town) is slow paced. A lot of festivals - Founder's Day Festival: includes a reenactment of a bank robbery that occur in town in 1914,
Blast From the Past, Loggerodeo: one of the oldest 4th of July celebrations, has parade, rodeo, logging competitions including chainsaw carving (the town's downtown area is full of carvings from the competition) and a carnival are a few.

Burlington - Basically a slightly more commercially developed Sedro-Woolley (though the population is actually lower - about 4,000 less people) It's probably the busiest town in the area (excluding Mount Vernon because of it's size) since it's where most people in the area do their shopping (Burlington has a Target, K Mart, Costco, two small malls [one is an outlet mall], and two supermarkets - Fred Meyer and Haggen [all of these larger shopping centers are located around each other so the other parts of town are nice and quiet]) but it's still has a nice small-town feel. Has the Berry Dairy Days Festival in the summer.

La Conner - Population around 800. Downtown is on the water, with nice architecture (including very beautiful Victorian houses) but filled with "artist" types and is expensive. The outskirts of town though are rural and also very pretty.

Lyman and Hamilton - Are both very small towns (though there are smaller unincorporated towns) about 400 people in Lyman, about 300 people in Hamilton. I wouldn't recommend moving to Hamilton though because it experiences some pretty bad flooding every few years (I remember hearing about people wanting to move the town to higher ground).

There are 3 other incorporated towns in the county but I didn't include Mount Vernon and Anacortes because of their higher population, and Concrete because it get's a lot of snow in the winter.

There are a lot more unincorporated towns you might want to look at as well.
Wow lots of great info thanks. I have never heard of these places. Have to have a Costco nearby.
Would like area where closest neighbor is a quarter mile away. Prefer the seclusion, space, quiet, and no traffic or kids running up and down the street or teens driving with boom boxes shaking up the neighborhood.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:59 PM

44 posts, read 111,145 times
Default Hanging in there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Born n Raised View Post
The Aberdeen area has got to be the worst place in Washington State! It is also the suicide capital of the world.
I suspect PNW is joking about the "suicide capital of the world". South Korea takes that honor big time: S. Korea: The Suicide Capital of the World - World - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

Old 08-27-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat38 View Post
I suspect PNW is joking about the "suicide capital of the world". South Korea takes that honor big time: S. Korea: The Suicide Capital of the World - World - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com
I have heard places that don't have lots of sun have high suicide rates because of Seasonal Disorder. Was also told Pacific Northwest has high sucide rates but don't know if it is true.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:42 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,831,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
I have heard places that don't have lots of sun have high suicide rates because of Seasonal Disorder. Was also told Pacific Northwest has high sucide rates but don't know if it is true.
Asians (or at least, Japan, Koreas, China) have a different mentality towards suicides... there's no stigma attached to it like here.

Stingray, you should also check into Whidbey Island (Langley, Clinton), maybe even Index as well. You actually have lots of great options. With Whidbey Island though, it doesn't have its own Costco, but you could take the ferry and go to Everett.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Asians (or at least, Japan, Koreas, China) have a different mentality towards suicides... there's no stigma attached to it like here.

Stingray, you should also check into Whidbey Island (Langley, Clinton), maybe even Index as well. You actually have lots of great options. With Whidbey Island though, it doesn't have its own Costco, but you could take the ferry and go to Everett.
I have heard of Whidbey Island. Someone I know lives there but in a mobil home.
This area must be nice as it is near water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington