Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 07:43 PM

229 posts, read 415,273 times

Advertisements

Do you have your mind set on Washington? If not, I'd definately suggest Southern Oregon Coast. Oregon Beaches are beautiful and 100% Public. That means you can go anywhere along the coast and the Oregon State Parks are the best with-out a doubt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 01:48 AM

473 posts, read 1,699,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
Do you have your mind set on Washington? If not, I'd definately suggest Southern Oregon Coast. Oregon Beaches are beautiful and 100% Public. That means you can go anywhere along the coast and the Oregon State Parks are the best with-out a doubt!
I do but I only worry about the property tax there as they can raise it drastically in a year. I also understand the political climate there is becoming like California which is not a good thing if this is true.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:10 PM

41 posts, read 146,111 times
Oregon property taxes vary widely. Rural properties can be pretty reasonable.
Our manufactured home sits on an acre, is in a rural part outside of Grants Pass and has a tax of less than $700.
Washington's property taxes appear far more unpredictable from what I have read here by one poster.
We moved from Pasadena, Cal.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewvdt View Post
Oregon property taxes vary widely. Rural properties can be pretty reasonable.
Our manufactured home sits on an acre, is in a rural part outside of Grants Pass and has a tax of less than $700.
Washington's property taxes appear far more unpredictable from what I have read here by one poster.
We moved from Pasadena, Cal.
Do you regret leaving California?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,609 posts, read 57,588,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
Do you regret leaving California?
Probably, If leaving behind a prop 13 primary residence!! most of my ex-co-workers from CA (those financially astute), rented their CA props and now have retired back to CA to enjoy a fraction of the property taxes I pay in WA (and since none of us have pensions, retirement income is no too high. My uncle pays a few hundred $ / yr on his Ocean Front San Clemente joint. I pay that much in Property taxes every Week in WA ($12,000 / yr taxes on a home and small acreage I bought & built for under $100k)

WA valuations are dropping, but the assessor just raises the levy to make sure he and all the other government cronies are well fed and clothed.

Both OR and WA have and will continue to have a huge property tax burden due to CA price inflation back in the 'pre-Clinton era' of having to flee with your wealth, rather than have $500k / 24 months TAX FREE. (hummmmm. A housing bubble? Who would have guessed ?... ).

Fleeing home equity from CA destroyed the livability of adjacent and nearby states from MT to CO and NM. Many locals on fixed incomes have had to leave or get into shared housing. CA Gov should have only let the average 'US home price' flee, and require all other gained equity to stay investing in CA. (They could now use the revenue from such, and WE would be happy back in our $50-70k rural homes). WA is going back fast. I Neighborhood rural House, Barn, and Shop, assessed at $800k is not selling at $320k. Rural view Acreage that went for $189k 3 yrs ago was auctioned last week for $12k (with well, power, and septic)

Old 08-30-2010, 12:59 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Probably, If leaving behind a prop 13 primary residence!! most of my ex-co-workers from CA (those financially astute), rented their CA props and now have retired back to CA to enjoy a fraction of the property taxes I pay in WA (and since none of us have pensions, retirement income is no too high. My uncle pays a few hundred $ / yr on his Ocean Front San Clemente joint. I pay that much in Property taxes every Week in WA ($12,000 / yr taxes on a home and small acreage I bought & built for under $100k)

WA valuations are dropping, but the assessor just raises the levy to make sure he and all the other government cronies are well fed and clothed.

Both OR and WA have and will continue to have a huge property tax burden due to CA price inflation back in the 'pre-Clinton era' of having to flee with your wealth, rather than have $500k / 24 months TAX FREE. (hummmmm. A housing bubble? Who would have guessed ?... ).

Fleeing home equity from CA destroyed the livability of adjacent and nearby states from MT to CO and NM. Many locals on fixed incomes have had to leave or get into shared housing. CA Gov should have only let the average 'US home price' flee, and require all other gained equity to stay investing in CA. (They could now use the revenue from such, and WE would be happy back in our $50-70k rural homes). WA is going back fast. I Neighborhood rural House, Barn, and Shop, assessed at $800k is not selling at $320k. Rural view Acreage that went for $189k 3 yrs ago was auctioned last week for $12k (with well, power, and septic)
My experience is similar... assessment increased 80% in less than 2 years.

I grow weary contesting WA property tax each year with little to show for it.

WA voters passed and had something similar to CA Prop 13 called I-747... I bought my home based on this... big mistake because I-747 was later gutted by a judge and it opened the tax increase floodgates.

Lifelong WA retired neighbors have left the state simply because of big increases in Prop Tax.

The threat is real... WA is a beautiful State with much to offer... stability in Property Tax unfortunately is not one based on my experience.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-30-2010 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachview View Post
There are property taxes in WA but no State Income Tax. The Property tax went up about 500% for me in 2010. Yes 500% you can take a look at the Stevens County Tax Assessor's web site for property tax info.
... and I thought I had problems when mine almost doubled...

Old 08-30-2010, 06:18 AM

41 posts, read 146,111 times
We are glad to have left California for now.
Even though we were under prop. 13 taxes had ballooned to 3k per year and going up.
School districts and libraries have been getting special taxes passed by issuing bonds. IMO it's only a matter of time before prop. 13 is history.
A couple of weeks ago we returned from a visit with friends in Bellingham and continued our RV trip to other parts of the state. Washington is beautiful indeed but it is scary to read how unpredictable the prop. taxes are.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My experience is similar... assessment increased 80% in less than 2 years.

I grow weary contesting WA property tax each year with little to show for it.

WA voters passed had something similar to CA Prop 13 called I-747... I bought my home based on this... big mistake because I-747 was later gutted by a judge and it opened the tax increase floodgates.

Lifelong WA retired neighbors have left the state simply because of big increases in Prop Tax.

The threat is real... WA is a beautiful State with much to offer... stability in Property Tax unfortunately is not one based on my experience.
That's what I mean the property tax kills the whole deal what good is that you move from CA which is overpriced to a lower cost house in Wash with taxes that go up drastically each year. I'm sure alot of people will be leaving Washington because of this.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:11 PM

229 posts, read 415,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
I do but I only worry about the property tax there as they can raise it drastically in a year. I also understand the political climate there is becoming like California which is not a good thing if this is true.
The Political Climate in and around the big cities in Western Washington and Oregon is alot like California. The Smaller Communities or more rural areas are not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington