Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 09:06 PM

473 posts, read 1,698,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
South/Western Oregon is definately NOT Desert! Eastern Oregon is.
South/Western Oregon is alot like the rest of the Pacific Northwest, but not quite as rainy. It is still very wet and rainy (along the coast especially), but not quite as green, mossy, or moldy. Bandon Oregon gets about as much rain as Portland does. The north coast nearer to Portland (Astoria, Oregon) gets alot more rain than Portland does.
There is NO sales Tax in Oregon. I am not sure about property taxes.
The Oregon State Parks are Awesome. The Whole Oregon Coast is 100% Public. (California- 5% Public) So in Oregon the beaches are clean, secluded and SOOOO Peaceful. They take great pride in their State Parks & you will certainly notice the difference as you go along the coast from California to Oregon to Washington. Growing up in Washington, we NEVER went to the Washington beaches. We ALWAYS went to the Oregon Beaches.
If you want to be around nature and away from people and you like Rain and water, Southern Oregon Coast is definately a place you will want to check out. Bandon, Oregon was listed in the top ten coolest small towns in America for 2010. It has a population of approx. 3000.
It is also near the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. Beautiful dunes consisting of 36 lakes. You can rent quads and ride to the ocean.

Our favorite thing is to gather drift wood & build a fire on the beach!!
Now this looks quite attractive as I do like rain and to stay cool. I like the ocean but a place like this probably costs alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
Now this looks quite attractive as I do like rain and to stay cool. I like the ocean but a place like this probably costs alot
$200,000?, $500,000 or $800,000?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 PM

366 posts, read 593,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
WA voters passed and had something similar to CA Prop 13 called I-747... I bought my home based on this... big mistake because I-747 was later gutted by a judge and it opened the tax increase floodgates.

Lifelong WA retired neighbors have left the state simply because of big increases in Prop Tax.
Prop 13 and I-747 were perfect products of the Me Generation. They were massive transfers of wealth from the young and unborn to the old. Good riddance to those that left Washington because it had the sensibility to avoid that indulgence.

Now, going back on topic...

Best place: Port Townsend
Worst place: Tonasket

Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
Prop 13 and I-747 were perfect products of the Me Generation. They were massive transfers of wealth from the young and unborn to the old. Good riddance to those that left Washington because it had the sensibility to avoid that indulgence

Worst place: Tonasket.
There is something wrong when a State can drive someone from their home of many years years simply through taxation... and it is regressive to boot when it effects those of limited means the most.

Don't forget Washington has no personal income tax... so I guess some would say WA indulges the rich on the backs of property owners... no wonder the uber rich of Costco and Microsoft like it so well

On a second note... Oregon is not 100% tax free... Ashland OR does have a 5% sales tax on prepared food...

City of Ashland, Oregon - Administrative Services - Food and Beverage Tax

On a third note... Prop 13 has withstood every challenge... up to and including the US Supreme Court. Prop 13 received it impetus from the Serrano Decision whereby the State was empowered to take local tax money from one district and distribute it in another... Prop 13 limited increases to 2% and a vote of the people, 55% in the case of school construction, to approve additional taxes.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:17 PM

229 posts, read 415,062 times
[quote=stingray427;15723214]$200,000?, $500,000 or $800,000?[/quote

Very reasonable housing. Average home price is around 210,000.
google Bandon, Oregon. Look it up on city-data.com and check out the images. It is a very nice little town, with a really cool downtown area.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
Prop 13 and I-747 were perfect products of the Me Generation. They were massive transfers of wealth from the young and unborn to the old. Good riddance to those that left Washington because it had the sensibility to avoid that indulgence.

Worst place: Tonasket
So is Washington loosing it's citizens, and citizens loosing their homes and leaving to other states becase they cannot afford property taxes in Washington?

Old 09-03-2010, 04:11 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,141,928 times
Quote:
So is Washington loosing it's citizens, and citizens loosing their homes and leaving to other states becase they cannot afford property taxes in Washington?
There have been some news reports of some people selling and leaving because of a sudden and marked increase in property taxes, but no, Washington is not losing citizens.

People are still moving there every day of the year...

Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,560 posts, read 57,481,475 times
My Tax Assessor told me to 'find a Californian' to sell too, who can afford pay my $33/day property tax bill. (Up from $2/ day).

I'll only own cash flowing commercial props in WA once I get rid of "Casa Grande' (built on 6 acres in the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area for under $100k).

No takers yet, and priced at 50% of tax valuation. Who would want to inherit these taxes? (definately not the retirees or the unemployed)

There is still a net influx of folks moving in, but that does not mean those coming are 'informed' of property tax burdens. WA IS losing businesses and corporations tired of onerous taxation.

It is varied. 30 seconds up the road from my place my taxes would be less than 1/4th current level on same investment. BE CAREFUL where you choose to call home.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:15 PM

41 posts, read 146,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My Tax Assessor told me to 'find a Californian' to sell too, who can afford pay my $33/day property tax bill. (Up from $2/ day).

I'll only own cash flowing commercial props in WA once I get rid of "Casa Grande' (built on 6 acres in the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area for under $100k).

No takers yet, and priced at 50% of tax valuation. Who would want to inherit these taxes? (definately not the retirees or the unemployed)

There is still a net influx of folks moving in, but that does not mean those coming are 'informed' of property tax burdens. WA IS losing businesses and corporations tired of onerous taxation.

It is varied. 30 seconds up the road from my place my taxes would be less than 1/4th current level on same investment. BE CAREFUL where you choose to call home.

Sharing your experience with the way your taxes went up has been very helpful to me as we were considering moving to WA. We're still looking.

I like to know what my taxes will be when buying property but like in your case the guvment is putting the screws on you. Scary!

Old 09-05-2010, 03:16 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,395,303 times
Quote:
We can't loose our citizens. They aren't tied up. In order to loose someone, they'd have to be in confinement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington