Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
There is really nothing to Custer. Very rural. The Custer Country Store is cool though. AWESOME sandwiches.

Custer Country Store | Facebook
Very low population = low crime
I will have to try the sandwiches when I visit up there and do some recon and scouting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventuristAir Ballooning View Post
I find that the Southeast Washington/North Idaho Border is a wonderful place to live. Depending on what you are looking for of course, but Clarkston, WA and Lewiston, Idaho, in the Lewis & Clark Valley has been rated as a top 10 outdoor recreation in multiple major magazines but still manages to remain one of the best kept secrets around. Hells Canyon, the deepest gorge in North America, its just a couple hour boat trip away and was recently featured on The Travel Channels "Extreme Adventures". Sometimes called "The Banana Belt" The Lewis and Clark Valley gets about 12 inches of rain a year, has very warm summers and moderate winters, which facilitates four year round golf courses that has a big draw from Spokane during the winters. Another honorable mention is that its also very close to some widely renowned white water rafting on the Salmon River and world class skiiing/snowboarding resorts in Mcall, ID. If you want to change your view of the area and go airborne there are plane, helicopter, and even hot air balloon flights are available.

Crime is EXTREMELY low here, and is within short driving distance to Washington State University and the University of Idaho, and about an hour and a half from Spokane if you want to do some shopping over the weekend. If I could say what I liked most about the location is that it is centrally located, making road trips to Yellowstone, Jasper National Forest, Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, Denver, etc only a day trip away!
This also sounds very attractive a little of Washington and Idaho mixed. As long as it doesn't get hot up there like 80 degrees and up.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 PM

321 posts, read 1,135,185 times
stingray - it gets pretty hot up that way. It's not unusual for it to be in the 90s there during the summer time. And by that I mean, it will be in the 90s.

Last edited by sofia76; 05-13-2010 at 11:59 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
stingray - it gets pretty hot up that way. It's not unusual for it to be in the 90s there during the summer time. And by that I mean, it will be in the 90s.
Thanks for the info. Does it snow in the wintertime?
Guess I will need air conditioning.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:54 AM

2 posts, read 15,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
The states with the lowest violent crime rates are those with the lowest population density and the smallest populations.

Thank you, for stating that. From what I have read and researched this is true.

I was coming to this board to state my opinion about Mount Vernon. Mount Vernon being one of the whitest places I have ever lived. Yet Mount Vernon is riddled with crime and racism. Nastiest place I have ever lived. And I lived on Aurora avenue near shoreline for six months.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:35 AM

2 posts, read 15,141 times
Default I know this post is three years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
What are the best places in Washington? What are the worst towns/cities?
I wanted to come give my opinion of the places I lived. I lived in Seattle for about six months. I did not enjoy it because of the area. Anyone who lives near or around Seattle knows all about Aurora avenue, which is where I lived in Seattle. We did eventually moved to Mount Vernon and lived there for little over 2 years. I have to say I hated every bit of it. I can say that Mount Vernon has the tulip festival, it has a beautiful downtown area, and the Co-op market is wonderful. Other than those three aspects, I would never recommend this town. Especially to a family that is not either white or latino. I hate to even say something like that but I have my reasons.

First of all, as someone stated earlier there is no reason for Mount Vernon to have as much crime as it has. This is a pretty small town. Also, I do not think it has anything to do with "racial strife" There are just as many white people out there committing crime, stealing, beating up people and all, as there are latino people. I think the true problem has to do with drugs and ignorant people.

As a military family we move around quite a bit. Out of all the places I have lived Alpine Ca and Mount Vernon WA take the cake as awful places. The racism is what really got me. The year 2009 and my husband and family are gawked at, pointed at, in the local costco because I am black and he is white and my children are shocked "bi-racial" My daughter came home one day and asked me what some spanish word meant. I had no idea what she was talking about but her little friend from down the street did. She says that a latino kid was screaming this word at the bus driver (who is black). Turns out the kids was calling the bus driver the N word in spanish. Lovely, so not only does that area have their own home grown racist. They have imported some from a different country.

One day we were coming from the local wal-mart. This idiot was driving around with a white power sign plastered on the front of his truck. He had the confederate flag and everything. He went all out. What got me was the number of people that honked at him and waved at him and all. That was the moment when I knew we had to get the hell out of Mount Vernon. By this time we have lived here for close to two years. My husband was getting ready to receive orders and I told him to try to hurry the admin up so that I could start looking. I wanted the hell out of Mount Vernon. Those are only a couple of my experiences. There are several more, I could go on, and on.

Oh did I mention the petty crime? The crime for a town that small is just not normal. Especially with so many good white folks living there *snicker* At least they cannot blame that on the black folks. because I tell you after we left the black population probably went to zero. I think I understand why most of our Navy friends decided to stay on the Island instead of moving out to Mount Vernon. I only wished we would of done the same. We now live out towards the Kitsap peninsula. It is pretty rural, the people here are pretty country however, they keep to themselves, which is how we like it.

I wanted to like Mount Vernon and god knows I tried. We lived in a decent neighborhood, except for the loud Mexican music and the booming stereos coming down our street. Not only that but Mount Vernon has the nerve to have gangs. Gangs, in a town that small. That should tell you something right there.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsier View Post
I wanted to come give my opinion of the places I lived. I lived in Seattle for about six months. I did not enjoy it because of the area. Anyone who lives near or around Seattle knows all about Aurora avenue, which is where I lived in Seattle. We did eventually moved to Mount Vernon and lived there for little over 2 years. I have to say I hated every bit of it. I can say that Mount Vernon has the tulip festival, it has a beautiful downtown area, and the Co-op market is wonderful. Other than those three aspects, I would never recommend this town. Especially to a family that is not either white or latino. I hate to even say something like that but I have my reasons.

First of all, as someone stated earlier there is no reason for Mount Vernon to have as much crime as it has. This is a pretty small town. Also, I do not think it has anything to do with "racial strife" There are just as many white people out there committing crime, stealing, beating up people and all, as there are latino people. I think the true problem has to do with drugs and ignorant people.

As a military family we move around quite a bit. Out of all the places I have lived Alpine Ca and Mount Vernon WA take the cake as awful places. The racism is what really got me. The year 2009 and my husband and family are gawked at, pointed at, in the local costco because I am black and he is white and my children are shocked "bi-racial" My daughter came home one day and asked me what some spanish word meant. I had no idea what she was talking about but her little friend from down the street did. She says that a latino kid was screaming this word at the bus driver (who is black). Turns out the kids was calling the bus driver the N word in spanish. Lovely, so not only does that area have their own home grown racist. They have imported some from a different country.

One day we were coming from the local wal-mart. This idiot was driving around with a white power sign plastered on the front of his truck. He had the confederate flag and everything. He went all out. What got me was the number of people that honked at him and waved at him and all. That was the moment when I knew we had to get the hell out of Mount Vernon. By this time we have lived here for close to two years. My husband was getting ready to receive orders and I told him to try to hurry the admin up so that I could start looking. I wanted the hell out of Mount Vernon. Those are only a couple of my experiences. There are several more, I could go on, and on.

Oh did I mention the petty crime? The crime for a town that small is just not normal. Especially with so many good white folks living there *snicker* At least they cannot blame that on the black folks. because I tell you after we left the black population probably went to zero. I think I understand why most of our Navy friends decided to stay on the Island instead of moving out to Mount Vernon. I only wished we would of done the same. We now live out towards the Kitsap peninsula. It is pretty rural, the people here are pretty country however, they keep to themselves, which is how we like it.

I wanted to like Mount Vernon and god knows I tried. We lived in a decent neighborhood, except for the loud Mexican music and the booming stereos coming down our street. Not only that but Mount Vernon has the nerve to have gangs. Gangs, in a town that small. That should tell you something right there.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:25 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,137 times
Quote:
Mount Vernon being one of the whitest places I have ever lived. Yet Mount Vernon is riddled with crime and racism
It's because they're uneducated conservatives. My brother lives there and it does suck. People are uspset because they are trying to live like it's the 50's while Washington is being pushed into the 21st century through development, trade, high tech, globalism, immigration, etc.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,555 times
Yakima is terrible. There's a ton of gangs, with at least one shootingg a week. Aside from the gangs, there are 'crews' that go out and tag on everything in sight. I'm 14 and almost everyone I know does drugs, especially Marijuana. So Yakima also has a **** load of drugs. There's weed, crack, meth, ex, rape, murder, gangs, tagging. Hell, you name it, we got it.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:30 PM

18 posts, read 53,728 times
Hahaha, yes they certainly do... suburbia is infecting us all

-Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington