Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts

Advertisements

I want to attend school in Washington but I also plan on making it my home for the forseeable future. I want to just work my job until I am eligable for resident pricing (out of state studends pay a LOT more money). How long does this take? A year? Two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,025,320 times
hi again, Shadow. Yeah, residency requirements for state schools is one year. That is domiciled in the state.

To establish domicile in the State of Washington you must provide documentation showing you meet the following guidelines:

1. Prove conclusively that you have not come to the state primarily for educational purposes. Current guidelines require that a student enrolled for 7 credits or more a quarter must be employed at least 30 hours per week at a non-student job to overcome the presumption of educational purposes.

2. Live in the state for 12 consecutive months as a legal resident. A legal resident is an individual who has relinquished all valid legal ties (for example, driver's license, voter registration, et cetera) with their former state of residence and established such ties in Washington in accordance with state and local legislation.

3. Establish ties:

*Employment.

*Driver's license/state ID. If you have a current out-of-state driver's license, you must obtain a Washington State Driver's License# within 30 days of arrival. If you don't have a driver's license from any state you must obtain a Washington State Identification Card.

*Vehicle registration. If you own or drive a vehicle in Washington, you must register it in Washington#.

*Voter registration. If you have a current out-of-state voter's registration, you must register to vote in Washington#.

*Establish a bank account in Washington.

*Medical/automobile insurance independent of parents.

*Financially independent for the current and prior calendar years.

Examples of other factors that might help one establish proof of domicile include: disposition of property in the former state of residence, relocation of household members, participation in local community organizations, and generally becoming involved in activities that will help prove their intent to make Washington their official place of residence.

(From: http://www.washington.edu/students/r....html#domicile )

--'rocco

Old 03-12-2007, 10:33 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Wow, that is pretty complicated. I'm planning on moving there and meeting all of the requirements except one. I plan on working over there for a year or two to save up money, then grab some student loans and go to school full-time. At most I would have a part-time job. How could I go to school full-time and have a 30+ hour a week job? That would drive me insane and I just couldn't do that. What am I supposed to do?

Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 AM

huh? If you are planning on working full-time a year before enrolling, then won't you meet the requirements?

--'rocco

p.s. here's the actual law known as RCW 28B.15.012

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=28B.15.012

Old 03-12-2007, 10:53 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
huh? If you are planning on working full-time a year before enrolling, then won't you meet the requirements?

--'rocco

p.s. here's the actual law known as RCW 28B.15.012

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=28B.15.012
I must have misunderstood the requirements! Thanks again for your help, you have been (and continue to be) a huge help in our move! I don't see how we would have figured all this stuff out without you and these forums (others as well). I'm fairly young (21) and this is my first move that isn't local, I've lived in my same County most my life and can't wait to move to somewhere green...my area of California is boring.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Hey, I know what you're going through.

Oh, I went to the WSU website just to see how the residency requirements were worded there and it was a little easier to understand just in case you want to take a look at it:

Residency Requirements - Admission - Future Students - Washington State University

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-22-2007 at 12:06 AM..

Old 03-12-2007, 11:28 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Thanks for the link. Why exactly did you leave Washington?

Old 03-12-2007, 01:31 PM

15 posts, read 164,334 times
Hey Shawdow, where are you thinking about moving and what schools are you looking at? Good luck with everything!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:13 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
We're going to start out around Seattle to be sure there are lots of jobs and resources for us. We'll see how we like being close to the big city then move elsewhere in WA if we feel the need. For college I'm not sure since that is a year or two after I get to Washington (which is still probably about eight months away). I'm probably going to go to a community college for the first two years then transfer to a University since it is so much cheaper that way.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
... Why exactly did you leave Washington?

Climate mainly, much too damp, wet, cold, and gray. It seems like I feel so much better both physically and mentally when the sun is out.

Secondary reasons being the horrid congestion and the increasing rate of crime.

I kept telling my friends who asked: my 3 "Cs"

--'rocco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington