Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:13 AM

8 posts, read 13,811 times

Advertisements

NoLove, I can relate; got stopped in GA and had CA license, IN tags, FL address, and my insurance listed Guam. The confusion worked to my advantage, just a warning and a shake of the head.

For housing, we're looking at buying almost immediately upon arrival. I've been checking into Dupont, Lacey, Roy, Yelm, and Graham. We're not really bright lights, big city types. Possibly something where we could keep a couple of horses. I assume a drive of 30-40 min to base. Any recommendations or inside knowledge appreciated. Also, any info on realtors good/bad would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 AM

733 posts, read 1,927,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Site Deeze View Post
NoLove, I can relate; got stopped in GA and had CA license, IN tags, FL address, and my insurance listed Guam. The confusion worked to my advantage, just a warning and a shake of the head.

For housing, we're looking at buying almost immediately upon arrival. I've been checking into Dupont, Lacey, Roy, Yelm, and Graham. We're not really bright lights, big city types. Possibly something where we could keep a couple of horses. I assume a drive of 30-40 min to base. Any recommendations or inside knowledge appreciated. Also, any info on realtors good/bad would be appreciated.
LOL! There are those strange advantages....

Then you may want to look in Roy or Yelm. You will be able to get enough land for horses there and it isn't that far from base (about 30 min). A friend of ours (retired military) just bought a brand new home in Yelm on 5 acres and it was very reasonable.....

My realtor was in Gig Harbor, (thru Remax). She was really good. I'll ask our friend to see who he used. Right now I know there are banks that have many homes they want to sell.

Out where we are (Gig Harbor) There are incredible homes that have been on the market for quite some time. Many in forclosure, a lot brand new homes that the builders can't sell. Beautiful homes for half the original asking price.

I'm sure you will find the same there, but I'll ask our friend and see what I can find out for you.

Last edited by NoLoveLost; 02-03-2009 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 02-03-2009, 09:16 AM

70 posts, read 345,764 times
Not to mention, Yelm has some of the best views of Mt. Rainier on the west side of the state. Absolutley gorgeous!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 AM

ok, this is what I found:

Our friend says they first did an internet search and then ended up at John L. Scott. The realtor was Beau Towne. Said he was out of the Puyallup office.

Puyallup Real Estate, John L. Scott

We did something similar. we hunted around on line, then talked to a few agents. We found one we really liked who knew what we were looking for, and she found us our place in a day! Within an hour of it's listing, she was perfect for us. She was out of Re/Max but now has her own company. Her name was Mary Sousa:

Gig Harbor Real Estate, Port Orchard Real Estate, Pierce County Real Estate, John and Mary Souza

Maybe one of hem could help you, or help you find someone in the area who can

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 PM

24 posts, read 91,219 times
Default Welcome

Woo Hoo! We made the move from LA to WA about ten years ago and retired here....love it!

Info on vehicle licensing: You can retain the registration in your home state/last state, when it expires you can choose either to re-register it in that state or in Washington.

Info on driver's licensing: No requirement to have a WA license unless you claim it as your home of record or are a resident of WA.

Registration on base (sticker): Fort Lewis is within five days, I think McChord is within 72 hours....you will be advised during inprocessing I am certain.

Looking for a house: Don't rule out Olympia/Lacey/Tumwater (which are so proximal to each other they seem like the same town)-check out the Steamboat peninsula for horse property, as well as Boston Harbor, East Olympia, and Johnson Point. Yelm is an option too. We commuted to Fort Lewis from the end of the Steamboat peninsula for years (and have a horse here!).

Prices will be better in Yelm, and even Lewis County which is south on I-5. If you choose Yelm, avoid having to drive through the main drag if possible...there is a back way into Fort Lewis and McChord. You should consider the quality of the schools as well, whether it is pertinent to you or not, for resale.

Not much of a chance at getting horse property in Lakewood, Dupont or Steilacoom (though Steilacoom is darling!). Boarding is a possibility.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:39 AM

8 posts, read 13,811 times
All, thanks for all of the info. I'll be continuously checking in for additional hints/tips on where to live. Once the move is a little closer, I'll probably be asking more questions. Speaking of more ??, any motorcycle riders in the area? I'll be looking for rides once we get settled, and it starts to dry out. I'm riding an 07 Yam Warrior. I prefer day trips and don't mind scraping the pegs every once in awhile.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Site Deeze View Post
All, thanks for all of the info. I'll be continuously checking in for additional hints/tips on where to live. Once the move is a little closer, I'll probably be asking more questions. Speaking of more ??, any motorcycle riders in the area? I'll be looking for rides once we get settled, and it starts to dry out. I'm riding an 07 Yam Warrior. I prefer day trips and don't mind scraping the pegs every once in awhile.
I use to ride, and yes there are great places to take trips on bikes. Rainier is the first that comes to mind....if you can take more than a day Vancover is beautiful too.....

Old 03-05-2009, 03:38 PM

392 posts, read 1,556,462 times
Here's some interesting info (http://tacomamilitaryundressed.neighborhoodsundressed.com/2009/02/09/clover-creek-condos/ - broken link)on a brand new condo complex right at the main gate to McChord that looks very affordable.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:23 PM

107 posts, read 402,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
Here's some interesting info (http://tacomamilitaryundressed.neighborhoodsundressed.com/2009/02/09/clover-creek-condos/ - broken link)on a brand new condo complex right at the main gate to McChord that looks very affordable.
Interesting but the rest of the area outside the main gate is kind of, well, interesting.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanudo View Post
Interesting but the rest of the area outside the main gate is kind of, well, interesting.
yeah....sketchy...... Tillicom isn't one of your best neighborhoods, and that is right next to those condos if I am correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington