Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post

I am happy to have self-sorted into a place where I know people who are quite religious and people who could care less, all on the same street, and where neither of them states publicly that they care much about about what I believe. I no longer worry about rocks being thrown into my house or my car being trashed by people I'm not in total political or religious agreement with. HURRAY for self-sorting! Let somebody else try to be the emissary or ambassador so we can all learn to get along. I'm DONE with that. Now I wanna roll over some cars with Bush bumper stickers.
We self-sorted into a community of loggers, farmers, aluminum workers, doctors, lawyers, and small business owners. Everybody knew everybody and the neighborhoods were quite diverse.

Over 25 years, the liberal wing of Washington has decided to move here. We now have neighborhoods neatly sorted by income, schools sorted by parents educational levels, and since the loggers, aluminum workers and small business owners REALLY DIDN'T FIT IN ANYMORE we got rid of them.

The farmers are next to go, but they still have the old-time political power so should last another decade.

Doctors and lawyers are ok, particularly if they come with "liberal values".

I think it is a substantially "poorer" community now, than it was 25 years ago. It certainly does not have the diversity or tolerance than it once had.

But hey, we have cheap stores to shop!! And now people from western Washington think we're cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 10:03 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I don't know if it was the Palin/McCain bumper sticker or the George Bush is Right sticker that did it.
I have always wondered why people display their opinions on the bumpers of their vehicles.

When I see bumper stickers, regardless of what they say, I just figure the driver is a moron who thinks that his opinions somehow matter and that other people care what he thinks.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:58 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
When I see bumper stickers, regardless of what they say, I just figure the driver is a moron who thinks that his opinions somehow matter and that other people care what he thinks.
When we were kids we drove on family vacations to Alabama and Florida every year. My father was from the South and we always put on an Auburn bumper sticker. It helped to keep the cops from pulling us over, quite a few of the locals down there hated Yankees.

When I see someone call a bunch of people morons, people he has never met or communicated with, well, you just have to wonder where this person learned his manners.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post

When I see someone call a bunch of people morons, people he has never met or communicated with, well, you just have to wonder where this person learned his manners.
I learned mine reading bumper stickers.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 PM

32 posts, read 104,829 times
It sounds pretty obvious that the liberals in the San Juan Islands are typical liberals. I suppose if I drove up there with my "NRA" and "Jesus is Lord" bumper stickers I may not make it out. Liberals are nice people as long as you agree with them.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:29 PM

292 posts, read 1,447,810 times
Weird. My parent drove all over W.WA with "Be a Hero, Save a Whale, Save a Baby, Go to Jail" bumper sticker for years, no problem. My dad drove into downtown Seattle daily with his McCain/Palin bumper sticker, no problem (except for the occasional opposing self-expression in response). No one rolled his car or menaced him.

Really, I think it's all about how you go about yourself. Are you a polite, humble person secure in your beliefs and as open to someone expressing their views the same as you express yours. Or do you broadcast superiority vibes? The Laws of Attraction are likely in place here more often than not.

Last edited by secret_squirrel; 03-20-2009 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
There needs to be a new Godwin's Law. Anyone who uses the word 'liberal' or 'neocon' in a pejorative sense automatically loses the argument.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
There needs to be a new Godwin's Law. Anyone who uses the word 'liberal' or 'neocon' in a pejorative sense automatically loses the argument.
Ahhhh... As Murphy's Law would have it, Godwin's Law is something track of which I lost somewhere. Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- nice little discussion of the reductio ad Hitlerum form.

As always, j_k_k: Thanks, Teach.
How about requiring the automatic loser of the 'liberal'/'neocon' pejorative fling also buy a round of beers?

Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Ahhhh... As Murphy's Law would have it, Godwin's Law is something track of which I lost somewhere. Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- nice little discussion of the reductio ad Hitlerum form.

As always, j_k_k: Thanks, Teach.
How about requiring the automatic loser of the 'liberal'/'neocon' pejorative fling also buy a round of beers?
Oh, absolutely. What good is a rule if breaking it has no real consequences? Plus, as the great, lamented, unforgettable Saul Alinsky taught, if your people are not having fun during your activism, you are Doing It Wrong.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:29 AM

113 posts, read 876,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe View Post
It sounds pretty obvious that the liberals in the San Juan Islands are typical liberals. I suppose if I drove up there with my "NRA" and "Jesus is Lord" bumper stickers I may not make it out. Liberals are nice people as long as you agree with them.
I always figure that if I am displaying a yard sign or bumper sticker expressing my views that I am willingly opening myself up to having others express their views in reply back to me. I mean, why should I be the only one allowed to express my feelings on an issue? Exchanges of opinions and ideas should be welcomed, not feared or ridiculed.

I would bet good money that the neanderthals that would turn violent or become aggressive based on someone else's views as expressed on the bumper stickers of the cars they drive are pretty equally represented on both sides of the aisle. Stupidity is not an ideology, but a trait found to some degree across all groups in society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington