Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:57 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts

Advertisements

**I posted this in another section but I requested it to be closed, I get more responses here and I think the information from people living in Washington would represent what I would need to do better since that is where I'm going.**

This is my first time moving as an adult on my own so I'm really not familiar with this. I swear I posted a thread about this before but when I went through my post history it didn't exist...

Anyways! I will be moving in 3-8 months to Washington (most likely the Seattle area) and I'm wondering how I should go about securing a job/home before I get there. I don't want to go up there and be stuck in a one-year lease on a place I don't even like, but I need a place to go. Also I don't want to move up without a job because I need steady income without a gap since I don't have savings (I'm 22). Our current roommates are driving us crazy and we can't stand expensive Southern California (and the constant sun).

My biggest issue is interviews, do companies do over the phone interviews or otherwise? I can't afford to fly up there, especially considering I may fly up and not even get the job! Are there alternatives to securing housing and a job before I go up?

My friend up there MIGHT be able to get me a job with Verizon but I don't want to rely on that. I also can't stay at his house because there are two of us plus our two dogs and he doesn't have that kind of room. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 07:50 PM

388 posts, read 1,785,005 times
I wouldn't even consider finding a place to live without seeing it in person, but that's me.

Better you plan on living in a motel/hotel for a few days while you scout out a place to make sure it fits your needs.

If you're currently employed and seeking similar work and there is a company that needs your particular skillset, you may be granted a phone interview, but. I think, you'll have better luck if you apply/send in a resume and arrange an interview if you get a response.

Go to the Seattle PI and Seattle Times websites and look at employment opportunities and see what's available.

Depending on what you're looking for it might be worthwhile.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:58 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
The problem is we have two dogs, so could be tough to find a motel/hotel that allows them, and if there is one it's probably filthy.

I am currently employed and have been for a long time (by this company almost one year).

Perhaps I could arrange for a ton of interviews the day I arrive and start praying?

Old 03-14-2007, 09:56 PM

388 posts, read 1,785,005 times
You could board the dogs. Plenty of places for that.

The one we used to use boarded them in private homes w/ pick up and delivery. Little pricey, but the dogs were well cared for and never came home with a personality change.

In emergencies, we used our Vet as he had a few kennels especially for that, but we we preferred them to be allowed to run a little more often than scheduled exercise periods.

If you could arrange multiple interviews over one or two days, great, but a word of caution; leave plenty of travel time between interviews.

Traffic can be a real bear.

Maybe two days of interviews with an interview in each of the mornings and another in the afternoon.

Good luck.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Well I'm very picky about my dogs...and I won't have time to get opinions and gather enough info to feel comfortable with one place is the issue.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:58 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,300 times
Check out monster.com. Losts of Seattle firms post there. Seattle is really expensive like Southern California so really check out the status if it's cost that's motivating you to move. Traffic is also worst in Seattle than S. Cali so be prepared ---grass may be greener.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Yeah, the dogs... that will be an issue, but I like the advice of boarding them. I'd check into some rural places nearby (Centralia / Chehalis, cheaper plus room to run) and plan on having them there for a week.

Getting a job + a dog apartment may be a challenge and take at least a week.

Best be posting 'wanted' ads on Craigslist, maybe a fellow dog person will put you up.

I'm afraid you will have to find a central living spot, and take a 'temp' job to get established and then find a 'real' job. The dogs + renting will likely be the biggest challenge.

You should post your preferred occupation and some metro folks might be able to direct you to an area that will be central for you. (so you don't have to move again soon)

Old 03-15-2007, 12:29 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
Check out monster.com. Losts of Seattle firms post there. Seattle is really expensive like Southern California so really check out the status if it's cost that's motivating you to move. Traffic is also worst in Seattle than S. Cali so be prepared ---grass may be greener.
I had a friend move from my very town, to the area in Seattle I want to move and he says traffic is much lighter, and he pays less rent for more house. I don't think you know how expensive it is in the town I live!

Plus I like rain, and want to live near a big city that isn't L.A.

Right now I do customer service over the phone (take orders, help people, etc.) for $16/hour. I'm hoping to get comparable pay up there!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
... I like rain, and want to live near a big city that isn't L.A.

Right now I do customer service over the phone (take orders, help people, etc.) for $16/hour. I'm hoping to get comparable pay up there!
Nautilus in Vancouver, WA is about 10 min from Portland, and I have a friend who is doing very well ($$$) at phone sales for them. They were hiring last I heard. Lots of apartments and some green space near them (SE Vanc) / Fishers Landing / East Mill Plain

I've heard say... that the 'single' scene and quality of life for such is better in Portland than Seattle (they are 3 hrs apart, or $40 RT via train). There was an article on the Seattle forum about the 'cold shoulder' life in Seattle. Portland is friendlier and much more 'social', so I've heard from my 'younger' classmates at college. One benefit; - it is much more 'compact' than Seattle for getting around to jobs and recreation, and only an hr from beach, skiing or windsurfing. Extensive hiking within the city (Forest Park) and in the Columbia Gorge, 20 min east.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:39 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I'm still debating between Seattle and Vancouver, both sound nice. I'm engaged and she's moving with me so the singles "scene" doesn't matter to me. They both sound so cool...at least if I move to one I can visit the other because my first house/job will be temporary until I find my proper place within the state (unless I get lucky and hit it right the first time)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington