Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 10:02 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

The governor has proposed pay freezes and layoffs for teachers and other state employees, a $350-million reduction in funding for higher education, closure of 13 state parks, early release for low-risk prisoners, and a 42% reduction in the state's popular health insurance program for the working poor -- a program that provides last-resort coverage to 104,000 people.

The plan also would eliminate cash grants and health insurance for about 16,000 state residents who are temporarily disabled. The proposal wasn't some exaggerated public relations ploy to lure federal stimulus cash: In fact, it already factors in about $1 billion in federal aid. The reality has been sobering for a state that has prided itself on generously funded social programs.

"The cuts are incredible. They absolutely shred our healthcare system. I think you'll instantaneously see 60,000 more uninsured in our state," said Cassie Sauer, spokeswoman for the Washington State Hospital Assn. "They'll probably get sicker, and some of them will die."

States' only option now is budget pain - Los Angeles Times

Hey look...we made the LA Times. I knew our budget shortfall was bad.......... didn't know it was 6th worse in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
States' only option now is budget pain - Los Angeles Times

Hey look...we made the LA Times. I knew our budget shortfall was bad.......... didn't know it was 6th worse in the nation.
but... haven't you been following the news!! Christine has tried to do EVERYTHING to be like California (as has Gov Ted in OR). They are trying to Californicate the Left Coast, so we can all be CA Clones.

Sorry to hear the bad news, but I would have guessed we would have heard it from CA first... they write the policy, we (WA wimps) just say "sounds great, where do I sign?"

Old 02-09-2009, 12:40 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
but... haven't you been following the news!! Christine has tried to do EVERYTHING to be like California (as has Gov Ted in OR). They are trying to Californicate the Left Coast, so we can all be CA Clones.

Sorry to hear the bad news, but I would have guessed we would have heard it from CA first... they write the policy, we (WA wimps) just say "sounds great, where do I sign?"
You got it, I was in Calf when Gov Davis ramped up the spending and then got recalled for it and Ahhnold spent more then the state made as well now they are in big time trouble. Not to be out done, WA ramped up their spending when the lady Governor stole the election last time. Cutting the funds of the groups that squeal the loudest is the usual WA way, even the local school boards did the same when I lived there, whenever the school levy failed, they would cut whatever got the most news coverage and kept re-doing the election until the new levy was passed.

I say we ALL can expect more taxes to make up for the short fall in this fiscal "emergency", and that's whether you are in WA/CA or elsewhere!

God help us all

Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Seattle-area pools in jeopardy of closing | Sports | KING5.com | News for Seattle, Washington (http://www.king5.com/sports/stories/NW_031209WAB-budget-cuts-pools-KS.2b64f959.html - broken link)

Ya know...I didn't even think about pools.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:47 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Seattle-area pools in jeopardy of closing | Sports | KING5.com | News for Seattle, Washington (http://www.king5.com/sports/stories/NW_031209WAB-budget-cuts-pools-KS.2b64f959.html - broken link)

Ya know...I didn't even think about pools.
Even in the south pools have closed because of the high cost of operations. The city of Dallas filled almost all of their public pools with dirt many years ago.

Government spending has accellerated more rapidly than inflation, private income, or good sense would dictate. Cuts have to happen and we can only hope they are done with more thought than the expenditures.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:12 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
WA has to do something... everywhere people are faced with cutbacks for those fortunate to still have jobs... my employer instituted a 10% across the board payroll cut... I don't see how it is fair not to cut state spending.

What is insane is the 30 to 50% or more WA property tax increases one year over last... just where are we supposed to come up up with money to pay for these imaginary gains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: