Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:26 AM

2,048 posts, read 3,808,359 times

Advertisements

When the Swinhomish Tribe thought maybe they could squeeze the residents for a big least increase, when the lease had years remaining, they hired the right lawyers and they were paid with taxpayer funds via the BIA...how about that

Having a signing a lease at a particular rate on an indian reservation is meaningless..

The results was the tribe got a judgement against the community residents for just over $7.3 million dollars, due immediately and NEW lease fees were put in place......whattya gonna do, they got ya over a barrel..you either pay up or leave your home and a tribal member moves into it the next day and pays nothing

Its all archived within our community website for your enjoyment....

Shelter Bay Home

Click on Current Newsletter and scan down to "Back rent payment made.." read that paragraph to start with

Scan 2008 Newsletters in the Newsletter page Links at top...for additional lease info

The entire Shelter Bay community has turned into a nightmare for most, many are stuck here...now top heavy with new management, regulations, and new fees...brought on by people moving here from places like California...we did just fine before they arrived with all their crappolla and better way to do things....BS

Last edited by Captain Crunch; 02-14-2009 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 07:32 PM

100 posts, read 306,562 times
just an update: I put in a offer! The lease is suppose to be for 50yrs. Never had I ever thought I would buy a home on leased land. I will be paying 400.00 a yr and some of the others I found out pay up to 9,000.00 a yr for water front. That is overkill. Wish me good luck!! I heard the "back pay" in shelter was due to some contractor that messed up a bunch of lots. That is what we were told at least.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 AM

73 posts, read 299,542 times
Was very interested in buying in Shelter Bay at one time until I found out that it was leased land and what the tribe was doing. Will never make that mistake again. No leased land - ever for me.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:17 AM

291 posts, read 948,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferwa View Post
just an update: I put in a offer! The lease is suppose to be for 50yrs. Never had I ever thought I would buy a home on leased land. I will be paying 400.00 a yr and some of the others I found out pay up to 9,000.00 a yr for water front. That is overkill. Wish me good luck!! I heard the "back pay" in shelter was due to some contractor that messed up a bunch of lots. That is what we were told at least.
Jennifer, just out of curiosity what made you decide to go ahead with the deal? I only ask because my inlaws have a house there and the possibility of acquiring their home still exists. My wife and I absolutely love the area, but like the other folks are saying, it has a tendency to bite the owners in the "end". I am hoping to hear something new. I sincerely hope the deal works for you.

wc@h

Old 02-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I heard the "back pay" in shelter was due to some contractor that messed up a bunch of lots. That is what we were told at least.
And a realtor told you that and you believed it....totally not true

Enjoy your time on the reservation......a lease on a reservation is not worth the paper its written on

Its more like a bait & switch agreement.....

The length of lease in Shelter Bay was meaningless, it began August 16th 1968 and was to have been for 75 years, through 2044

The problems began in about 2004....Read this...
http://www.shelterbay.net/pdfs/Chron...of_Actions.pdf

Last edited by Captain Crunch; 02-23-2009 at 10:55 AM..

Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 AM

Shelter Bay Home Owners Agreement...

4. If the lease is not extended, what will happen to our house in 2044?

Both the Master Lease and the subleases provide for the homeowner's option to remove any improvements upon the leased land within 60 days after the expiration of the lease. The decision to leave or remove improvements is to be made by the homeowner.

How would ya like to have to remove your house from the indian land...?
That might somewhat reduce the value of the house when its sitting on wheels with a movers truck hooked to it..

Old 02-23-2009, 08:20 PM

Just curious Captain. Why don't you sell while you still have time?? I still go back and forth on the purchase. Contract not written in stone, yet. It is soooooooo upsetting, if we want near any water that we can afford, it is on the reservation.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,083 times
Quote:
Has anyone had any bad situations with leased land? What are peoples thoughts about buying on leased land? I am looking into the Shelter Bay area (la conner) or Sandy Point (ferndale). Any thoughts??
I think you received some great advise on Shelter Bay. It was one of my top picks when we were researching areas to purchase a vacation home and I tried real hard to convince my husband because I love LaConner so much but once he found out about the land situation being leased, he said "NO WAY". I'm so glad I listened to him, especially after reading these replies on here. I know we would have made a big mistake. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful and has so much to offer within the development, not to mention LaConner being just over the bridge. IMO, it's not worth the headache involved in purchasing a home on leased land just to be near the water but you will have to make your own opinion. You were smart to ask the question on here because the people on this forum are so knowledgeable.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Just curious Captain. Why don't you sell while you still have time?? I still go back and forth on the purchase. Contract not written in stone, yet. It is soooooooo upsetting, if we want near any water that we can afford, it is on the reservation.
Simply come over and drive all around in Shelter Bay and look at all the For Sale signs...

There are no buyers...due to this situation with what the tribe calls "back rents" and several other issues that came up during that 2-year process...like lease extensions

The court found in favor of the tribe so there is some $6 million plus 8% interest to be paid to the tribe, divided up among the residents....

When this all began and the magnitude of the problem was somewhat unclear...the realtors actually sold some houses and failed to disclose...which is illegal...that has come back to bite them big time

I suggest that if you proceed at all...you get an attorney that is very familiar with lease properties on tribal land to go over the contract with you very very carefully

Old 02-28-2009, 08:24 PM

I know you all will think I am crazy BUT I did buy the house. I know Captain-it is a risk but one I am willing to take. There are some for sale signs but there are also people with million dollar homes and people that are building. Believe me---I have talked to ALOT of people, some that have been there 40 yrs and 20 yrs, and they are not concerned. The 6 million is stupid, I know that, and Shelter Bay has paid all but 1 million. It is soooooo peaceful in Shelter Bay and I am soooooooo excited about my boat being right down the road, so I can go jump in and head out to the San Juans or Anacortes or just down the channel to La Conner for dinner. I guess we just hope for the best. For anyone interested you can go to shelterbay.net for more info. Captain- Thank you for the help and maybe we will meet someday neighbor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington