Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place do you like best?
Spokane 6 54.55%
Forks 2 18.18%
Wenatchee 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to move out of Tacoma/Seattle for some time now. I'm tired of the traffic and the area. I need to go to another place. I had made tentative plans to move to Minneapolis Minnesota, but because of my father's health problems I am not able to move that far away. I am able to move to another area in Washington.

I have chosen Spokane, Forks, or Wenatchee. Of course, if you have another suggestion of another place to consider, you are welcome to state that.

I really like the outdoors, and that is part of the reason that I have chosen these places. Forks has all of the beaches, the Hoh Rainforest, etc. Spokane and Wenatchee also have great places, too.

I am looking to spend no more jan $650 a month (either an apartment or house), and I have a home business so finding a job is no issue. The only necessary thing I need is reliable high-speed Internet access.

Out of these places, which do you like best? Please vote on it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
I think you're most likely to find the combination of reliable broadband net access and affordable housing in Spokane.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:01 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Of the choices you provde, Spokane has a slightly larger population than Tacoma, Wenatchee's pop. is about 1/10th of either, and Forks' is just a bit over 3,000. Where you have population, you have broadband and choices of living places. Spokane has everything you're asking for.

There are basically no jobs in Forks so there are only a handful of places to rent. It's a tiny town that's not set up for outsiders. Unless you think that dark clouds and steady, daily drizzle for ten months of the year and white clouds and a bit of drizzle for the other two months are the best weather in the world, you don't want Forks.

If you must have reliable broadband access, you'll need Spokane. As a little town, Forks is not well serviced technologically and is subject to so many storms, and Wenatchee is subject to many other storms -- so the necessary systems can be considered iffy, thus unreliable.

Wenatchee is a sweet town, and you've got to love snow -- lots of snow, during long winters. Rentals in Wenatchee will be more available than in Forks but still limited, and since it's a tourist town I question how many rentals will be inexpensive.

So, Spokane it is! I wish you a happy new life!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM

392 posts, read 1,557,216 times
My vote is for Spokane, but I have to put a disclaimer...I haven't been to the other 2. I live in Gig Harbor, love it, and hope I never move. I used to go to Spokane for the state HS track meet each summer, and enjoyed it there. So by default, knowing little of Spokane but nothing of the other two, I choose Spokane. Plus, John Stockton's from there!

Old 02-10-2009, 03:45 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
Forks isn't really a place to consider for relocation, unless you consider living in the middle of nowhere with no amenities except for loneliness.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Forks isn't really a place to consider for relocation, unless you consider living in the middle of nowhere with no amenities except for loneliness.
I happen to like Forks. If you consider a place with several beaches, a rain forest, and unlimited camping nearby as having no amenities, then we're not on the same boat. If you notice from the towns I have chosen, I'm not picking some huge area where I can get to everything I need within one spot. I'm trying to somewhat escape the huge amounts of people crammed into one area.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:50 PM

Thanks Allforcats! I never even thought about the possiblity of storms affecting anything. That is definitely something to keep in mind.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:06 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I happen to like Forks. If you consider a place with several beaches, a rain forest, and unlimited camping nearby as having no amenities, then we're not on the same boat. If you notice from the towns I have chosen, I'm not picking some huge area where I can get to everything I need within one spot. I'm trying to somewhat escape the huge amounts of people crammed into one area.
That's the entire peninsula basically. I'm just suggesting you should consider spending some time there if seriously considering it as a place to move...

I like the occasional visit to Forks, but if forced to live there, I'd need to be medicated.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:04 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I have been wanting to move out of Tacoma/Seattle for some time now. I'm tired of the traffic and the area. I need to go to another place. I had made tentative plans to move to Minneapolis Minnesota, but because of my father's health problems I am not able to move that far away. I am able to move to another area in Washington.

I have chosen Spokane, Forks, or Wenatchee. Of course, if you have another suggestion of another place to consider, you are welcome to state that.

I really like the outdoors, and that is part of the reason that I have chosen these places. Forks has all of the beaches, the Hoh Rainforest, etc. Spokane and Wenatchee also have great places, too.

I am looking to spend no more jan $650 a month (either an apartment or house), and I have a home business so finding a job is no issue. The only necessary thing I need is reliable high-speed Internet access.

Out of these places, which do you like best? Please vote on it.

Thanks!
I would pass on Forks. I am allergic to rain.

I have lived in both Spokane and Wenatchee.

For high tech services....Spokane is ok. Wenatchee is the place to be. 100% of the city is currently wired with fiber. Chelan County is 75% wired for fiber. You can chose from dozens of providers for HD TV, internet, phone, etc. etc. Central Washington is way ahead of Seattle and the other parts of the state is deployment of fiber. The Public Utility District has slowed the wiring the remaining 25% of the county that currently does not have fiber. All county residents will have fiber by 2013.

Spokane does have free wireless internet downtown which is nice. I don't know about fiber in Spokane. But since they do not have public utility district I suspect their fiber deployment is as slow as it is in Seattle and western Washington.

From the outdoors perspective I would pick Spokane over Wenatchee. Wenatchee has stuff close to town, but Spokane has much higher quality. Your two hours from BC, Montana, Oregon and 30 minutes from Idaho. If you head west your into the Columbia Basin. You can be in Glacier National Park in 4 hours or less.

The main disadvantage to Wenatchee is that your within 2.5 hours of the Seattle area. So your always sharing with 4 million people. If you go to trailheads outside of Spokane and find another vehicle the courtesy is to go find another trailhead. You cannot do that in the Wenatchee area.

It would be hard to find a decent place in Wenatchee for $650/month. I'm not sure about the rental market, but the housing market is expensive. All the Seattle refugees continue to drive up prices. It is not going down and with the layoffs in Seattle it will probably continue to rise.

You might consider Ephrata, Moses Lake, or Waterville. They all have good fiber connections and much, much cheaper housing. Ephrata would be my choice of the three. Nice community, lots of money in the community that shows in quality of schools and libraries with a cheap cost of living.

Lots more snow in Spokane than Wenatchee. Most winters Wenatchee does not have any signifcant snowfall.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 AM

I would have never thought that Wenatchee had more fiber than Seattle. Where can you find that kind of information, like a fiber optic map? I've tried to find it but haven't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington