Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 6,206 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I need some help. I currently live in Atlanta and though it is a great place for many to live, we are tired of being here. We have always wanted to make the move west and we have been trying to transition from being designers at a regular 9-5 job to full time painters. We are showing professionally. Our goal is to find additional venues to showcase our work. All of that being taken in to consideration, weather wise...we love the overcast skies. It's great for painting light and rain is not really a problem. We would also like 4 seasons, the humidity down south is unbearable. The snow however would be a new experience.

Cost of living is an issue. We want to rent at least for 6 months before we would even consider buying another place and then we would need a space suitable for working a studio/workshop. We also are looking for an arts community that offers figure (life) drawing classes without instruction. Maybe we could start our own if the models are available — so college towns wouldn't be out of the question. A workshop here and there to take or maybe teach. Galleries — though we are definitely not limiting ourselves to showing where we live. We hope to keep our Atlanta and Tulsa gallery connections.

In Atlanta we live in an area that is an older neighborhood near the biggest park (Piedmont) in the city. Older homes with some small businesses mixed in with small shopping centers and restaurants. The neighborhood is really changing to be more family oriented and that is not a factor for us. We do have a very small cat that we would like to find a good vet for her (and perhaps we will have a Weimaraner again some day.) So we are looking for some place pretty progressive — artist friendly, restaurants, shops/galleries,and not too expensive with an urban feel. We're hoping to make a trip in the next few months to check things out. So far the cities that we have our sights set on are Olympia, Tacoma (Gig Harbor, maybe north Tacoma) — we've also looked a little into Walla Walla but its so remote and small. Spokane might be an option though it seems cheaper to live on the other side in Couer d'Alene. I'm sure there are alot of other great cities/towns we're missing so any options you think of would be greatly appreciated. It's a shot in the dark at this point, but we're hoping to narrow the field. Thanks.

[/indent]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2paintersandacat View Post
...So far the cities that we have our sights set on are Olympia, Tacoma (Gig Harbor, maybe north Tacoma) — we've also looked a little into Walla Walla but its so remote and small. Spokane might be an option though it seems cheaper to live on the other side in Couer d'Alene. I'm sure there are alot of other great cities/towns we're missing so any options you think of would be greatly appreciated. It's a shot in the dark at this point, but we're hoping to narrow the field. Thanks.

[/indent]
I think Olympia is a great choice for you. Lots of galleries and art minded people. There are two colleges in town and the cost of living is affordable.

Greetings,

Sandy

Old 02-20-2009, 08:19 AM

4 posts, read 6,206 times
Thanks Sandy. Can you suggest any specific areas in Olympia? We really want a more urban feel to the neighborhood if possible. Are you familiar with North Tacoma? Also do you know of any live/work spaces either for rent or purchase? — Thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 05:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
I'm familiar with North Tacoma and like it a lot, especially the Proctor District, which is artsy and pretty.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:29 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Tacoma has really come a long way in cleaning it up and nice area. I have a friend that rents a place close to Proctor - couple of streets away - she is possible thinking of selling due to her recent move to Leavenworth.

I also have a house in NE Tacoma - near Browns Point and North Shore Golf Course. It is rented at the moment. I am seriously thinking of selling it late spring - I am going to Alaska for the summer and purchasing in HI. Would love to wait till the market comes back but I also have a house I need to sell Yelm. At this point ready to just say screw it and get rid of both.

Dont know if across the bay is too far from downtown? Let me know if you would be interested in more informaiton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington