Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 AM

309 posts, read 1,023,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake840 View Post
I personally wouldn't rent around the mall unless I was at Apex Apartments. They are pretty pricey though. There are a bunch of newer townhomes west of the mall but the area still has some problems. Try to keep north of I-5/Hwy 16. Not sure if you are looking for a 1 or 2 bed. If a 1 bed works then you should have lots of choices. 2 beds for under $800 you will probably be in some less desirable areas/buildings.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of problems? I don't think it is very accurate, but *This site* lists crimes reported in an area, and I don't see any crimes nearby other than some robbery attempts at stores and a dosmestic dispute a bit north of there. Are there property thefts and break ins not reported? (or is the site not that accurate?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 12:36 PM

238 posts, read 863,693 times
There has been some gang issues in that area. It is not a horribly bad area but wouldn't be my first choice. This is the official crime data website: Web Site Update in progress (appears to be down for updating 3/21/09). I wouldn't use that crime map site. It is feed/user generated so it isn't very accurate.

You can also contact the Community Liason Officer in the sector and ask them about any problems: City of Tacoma - Sector Map

Old 03-21-2009, 12:48 PM

309 posts, read 1,023,386 times
Ok, we aren't likely to choose it with that combined with the fact that there doesn't appear to be a grocery store nearby. Though with google maps it isn't always accurate. We are thinking of S. 19th street from S. Union to Unversity Place ATM, though there are a couple nice looking blaces near the downtown area we like. Thanks for the link.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:10 PM

850 posts, read 3,704,806 times
Have you ever visited Tacoma or Alburquerque? You should if you haven't. I live in Tacoma, and it's not too bad, but I would go for Albuquerque. Tacoma has a lot of crime, and as you said, the weather is bad. There are a lot of mills causing a lot of pollution in this area, and that is going to be a problem for you wife. It smells bad on occasion because of the mills.

Most areas are bad. The good area is North Tacoma and some spuratic neighborhoods throughout the city. The downtown used to be riddled with prostitutes, violence, and it was known for being dirty, but they are actually turning it around. The downtown is now a nice place to go with restaurants, the famed Glass Museum, and many new condos and apartments are going up.

There is a lot of urban sprawl here, and I wish sometimes that I could go to a more rural area. You can't find this in the Tacoma/Seattle area. There are so many people, and there are so many cars all packed on one highway, Interstate 5, the living hell. You have to drive a long ways to get away from the people.

On the plus side, there is probably more to do for outdoor activities in Tacoma--at least if you drive a few hours away to the mountains or the coast.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 PM

36 posts, read 272,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Have you ever visited Tacoma or Alburquerque? You should if you haven't. I live in Tacoma, and it's not too bad, but I would go for Albuquerque. Tacoma has a lot of crime, and as you said, the weather is bad. There are a lot of mills causing a lot of pollution in this area, and that is going to be a problem for you wife. It smells bad on occasion because of the mills.

Most areas are bad. The good area is North Tacoma and some spuratic neighborhoods throughout the city. The downtown used to be riddled with prostitutes, violence, and it was known for being dirty, but they are actually turning it around. The downtown is now a nice place to go with restaurants, the famed Glass Museum, and many new condos and apartments are going up.

There is a lot of urban sprawl here, and I wish sometimes that I could go to a more rural area. You can't find this in the Tacoma/Seattle area. There are so many people, and there are so many cars all packed on one highway, Interstate 5, the living hell. You have to drive a long ways to get away from the people.

On the plus side, there is probably more to do for outdoor activities in Tacoma--at least if you drive a few hours away to the mountains or the coast.
I second that.

Tacoma is not a nice place to live.

BTW, few years ago it was voted the worst place to live for a single woman.(Just a fact)

Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 AM

5,465 posts, read 12,203,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rams View Post
I second that.

Tacoma is not a nice place to live.

BTW, few years ago it was voted the worst place to live for a single woman.(Just a fact)
I'd third that. I moved to Tacoma four years ago. I used to live in University Place until about 2 years ago. Now I live closer to Dupont. I'm working on getting back to Texas. I can't wait to get out of the Tacoma area. Came here with an open mind, but I think I"ve given this place more than enough time. I also second another poster in not living near the mall and avoiding some areas of N Tacoma (Hilltop comes to mind). I work in Lakewood and---well, that says it all right there. I'd definately prefer ABQ. In fact, I have some friends there. This place is nice for some but it isn't for everyone and I spent 6 weeks here before I even moved out here. Visiting and living in a place are much different. I agree with the I-5 hell thingy too. I need wide open spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington