Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:14 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,733 times

Advertisements

Probably your best bet at landing an RN position on the peninsula would be at OMC (Olympic Medical Center) in PA. Most of the RN openings tend to be in ER, ICU/Tele and occasionally home care and infusion services. You can see if anything catches your eye here:

Job Postings - Olympic Medical Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitwishes View Post
I posted here a while back asking about areas in Wasington, I got some good responses and have done a little research, although I have never really considered Forks it is now a "visiting only" for now category. I am a Registered Nurse, from some suggestions I recieved in the earlier post I have been researching Port Angeles and Port Townsend, as a small recap I will say i absolutely love wooded-green areas, love the rain, I want an area close to hiking trails with beautiful views, so anything you guys could add about the cities I have mentioned or any other areas that fit the description that would be great. P.S. I have been reviewing the pic thread on this forum and thank you to all who have posted pics they are beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 07:44 PM

530 posts, read 779,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
Probably your best bet at landing an RN position on the peninsula would be at OMC (Olympic Medical Center) in PA. Most of the RN openings tend to be in ER, ICU/Tele and occasionally home care and infusion services. You can see if anything catches your eye here:

Job Postings - Olympic Medical Center
Thank you! This is very helpful, I am an ER or ICU nurse all the way! Thanks again.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:34 AM

260 posts, read 926,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Some would say Forks is the fashion capital of Clallam County. No wait...that would actually be Port Angeles. There is a JC Penney down the road in Sequim. Road trip!
The Penney's in Sequim sucks... unless you are looking in the men's and boy's section. You'd have better luck shopping at Walmart. There is a rumor that Ross Dress for Less is coming to town.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:48 AM

Not many jobs in Sequim either. Every few houses or apartments to rent, and houses go for $300,000 and up. Most people who work in Sequim live in PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
If you have read the posts in this thread and in the other recent threads here about Forks, you have learned there are no jobs in Forks, few or no places to rent, and few or no places to purchase. Forks still has not done much recovering from the shutting down of almost all of the timber industry that kept the very small town going.

Forks is "popular now" only with day tourists who have read the books or seen the movie. Day tourists, there for an hour or two. It's not popular with people looking to make a life somewhere.

This is the local newspaper which covers all of the Olympic Peninsula. There are likely some jobs in Port Angeles, maybe Sequim, maybe Port Townsend -- besides the summer tourist-trade jobs. You can keep checking the Classifieds.
Peninsula Daily News

The photos so generously provided by Kanhawk are absolutely accurate. There is nothing beautiful about the area around Forks, or about the town itself. Don't forget that what you saw was a movie. That's fiction, created only to make money, not to be accurate. If you Google Forks WA you will find lots and lots of real photos and information, which you can study to learn the facts.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
And most of that movie was shot near Portland, Oregon, not Forks, Washington.
And Canada, which is cheaper for filming. To get a film crew to Forks would have cost them a fortune.

In case no one has heard, there is a new video called Twilight in Forks:

"Twilight in Forks is the definitive DVD documenting the town of Forks made famous by the Twilight books and movies.

Since the Twilight movies weren't filmed in the real Forks, this is your opportunity to see the town that Stephenie Meyer based her epic teen romance books on. Are there truly vampires and werewolves there? Hear from the real people living their lives in the town fans know and love, including the Chief of Police, the Forks Outfitters employee who gets mistaken for Bella, and the vampire transplant who plays the real-life role of Alice. Visit Forks High School, hear self-described Jacob s grandfather tell the legend of how the Quileutes descended from wolves, and see many more of the people and places that make Forks and La Push the perfect setting for the Twilight Saga."

Old 03-30-2010, 01:00 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
I cannot believe the interest in Forks because of a movie. I come to CityData every once in a while when the weather is gloomy to read about people moving to places like Hawaii. This time I'm reading about people wanting to move to Forks???!! People, all these warning are true. A weekend trip through the peninsula is fine. Stay at Crescent Lake, have lunch in Forks and stay on the coast. But move to Forks? Appalachia is a great comparison. Small town, little money and driving an hour or more for the thrilling opportunity of shopping at J.C. Penney? If you were saying you wanted to move to the San Juan Islands, I would get it. But Forks? It's like some cruel movie joke.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:53 AM

5 posts, read 25,748 times
owh...thanks...guys..!!!maybe you right !! i'll try to go there firts, so next i will need youre helps!!! thank you very much!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 AM

7 posts, read 85,638 times
I have been looking at moving to Forks as well, Mind you I also looked at Port Angeles and Sequim. I am a Student right now and I have been researching jobs for when I graduate. I know of Forks because of my Grandmother. She used to tell me stories of the Mountains and the Friendly People she used to know. So as a child, I always wanted to move back to the PNW, but I couldn't believe what I have been reading throughout this thread. People Wanting to move to a town because of a book and movie. I'm sorry But I loved the Anne Rice Vampire Series, you don't see me wanting to move to Louisiana and what not. Its just plain ridiculous. Grow up and realize its a story, put together to entertain and make money. What next? Are you going to believe there are Vampires that are Sparkly too? Come on! I know of Sparkly Boys but they aren't vampires.

So back to why I am posting, here is what I would like to know. I am a Human Services Student. I am going into ICW as a caseworker. For those who dont know ICW stands for Indian Child Welfare. My Grandmother grew up around forks but left when she married. I am looking for a small town much like the one I grew up in here. Less then three thousand and quiet. I love to hike and I like nature. From what I have read, I am confused as to if it is the place for me. Where I am applying to work it located at La Push, so I would like to find a small town Near there. But I don't mind a commute. I drive 2 hours to the place I work and go to school. If anyone can help it is much appreciated.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:16 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandaceMW View Post
I am a Human Services Student. I am going into ICW as a caseworker.
You basically would have three options in the region depending upon which reservation/tribe you would be assigned to as an ICW caseworker. La Push for Quileute Res., Tahola for Quinault Res. and Neah Bay for Makah Res. If you were assigned to La Push, you would likely live in Forks and "commute" to La Push.

Is it the place for you? I don't know, do you like being isolated geographically? Can you do without access to major services, shopping and professional care? Do you mind living in towns that have struggling economies and manifest evidence of poverty that has adversely impacted generations? (you are going in to ICW after all) Don't discount the seemingly endless gray winter weather and torrential rainfall (as your grandmother likely remembers).

You might want to visit and see what you think of the area for yourself. If you get the chance to "tour" Neah Bay, stop in to the Makah museum there. It's definitely worth the price of admission. As you may know, there is a US Coast Guard station in Neah Bay. From time to time I'll chat with the "Coasties" I meet around town. They're usually very friendly (as most people are in a town with a population of about 700 anyway). Often times I'll ask them how they like living "way out" in Neah Bay. The response is almost always the same. An incredulous look from them that says "Are you out of your mind, how do you think I like living here?". FWIW, most of them are young men/women in their early or mid-20's, probably about your age category. Just something to consider-

Last edited by Dendrite; 04-15-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 02:31 AM

5 posts, read 25,748 times
thanks a lot dendrite! well actually my jobs is a nurse too, n maybe i can find or get the same job in forks, n where i can get somethinks like apartment or house for rent there for live, u know somethings place with a chip price?hehe..i must to see there first before i moved,yea..i hope forks is a nice place for me, to make a pisss,n comfort!i know the temprature not same like indonesia,but before i have live in moskow,n i think, althought still winter in forks is not bad batter than moskow!right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington