Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 05:01 PM

4 posts, read 46,650 times

Advertisements

Does any one have experiences to share about modular home manufacturers and dealers in Washington state?

My wife and I are considering building a new modular home on a piece of property here in Western WA (note: I am not talking about manufactured/mobile).

We have heard great things about the quality and customer service of Timberland Homes (they sell direct, not through a dealer). We suspect that they may be very high priced, however.

I have read some customer reviews of Palm Harbor Homes. All bad ones, it seems.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
my in-laws used Timberland for their Island county property, and it was rediculous in terms of the cost. Of course everything is more expensive on the Islands but it was more than 2x the cost of building a stick built, and the quality? It looks nice but I wasn't that impressed overall, especially with the chemical smell to the house now still almost 2 years later (I'm unusually sensitive to that kind of thing though, I have a nose like a dog).

It really depends on where your property is, but you will probably have several options. I'm no expert on manufactured homes but I was told by someone that something like 60-80% of them are made by one company, so it just comes down to pricing and options.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 46,650 times
Thanks for the input.

A funny smell, huh? What do you think it is from?

Old 01-26-2008, 11:02 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
it's a combination of formaldehyde and glue adhesives used in most OSB/wood based construction materials. I think you'd be "hard pressed" (little joke there) to find manufactured homes that don't use it (or most new homes for that matter).

Supposedly the odors dissipate within a year with good ventilation but the OSB smell can take years to go away. There's probably a good reason why most European countries don't allow it to be used in home construction.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:47 AM

142 posts, read 557,989 times
Default a few sources of cedar kit homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyPapa View Post
Does any one have experiences to share about modular home manufacturers and dealers in Washington state?

My wife and I are considering building a new modular home on a piece of property here in Western WA (note: I am not talking about manufactured/mobile).

We have heard great things about the quality and customer service of Timberland Homes (they sell direct, not through a dealer). We suspect that they may be very high priced, however.

I have read some customer reviews of Palm Harbor Homes. All bad ones, it seems.

Thanks.
I can't vouch for any of these but you may want to look into them. I was thinking of building and did a little research a couple of years ago but never ended up building so cannot say how good these are.

Double "S" Cedar supplies in WA: Prefabricated Homes, Prefab Houses - Double S Homes BC Canada and Pan Adobe has two WA distributors. Pan Abode Cedar Homes, Supplier of Custom Cedar, Post & Beam, Timber & Log Homes : Home Cedar Deisigns out of BC used to be reasonable and handy but with the US dollar tanking they may not be a good option: http://www.cedardesigns.com/country.htm

Old 01-28-2008, 08:06 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
I highly recommend you buy a copy of the "The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes" and "The Grissim Buyer’s Guide to Manufactured Homes & Land" - very useful books that give manufacturer ratings (and details on how the ratings were derived) and spell out all the details about how to go about purchasing a home.

Ken

Old 02-06-2009, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 19,163 times
Did you ever find a modular builder for your project? If so how did it go and who did you use and where in Western Washington are you?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times
You might consider HiLine Homes. They aren't modular, but I believe they are pretty cheap. I think it's like $38 a square foot.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
I also looked at Modular houses for a lot I had in Grays Harbor county, I really think HiLine homes puts up a better structure than most Mods. You might want to look at the modulars that are built by Silvercrest, a champion home product, they are very well built and they are substantialy better constructed than their manufactured line. Adair is another builder that has a lot of houses in the NW.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
I haven't had much luck with modular homes, mainly because alot of the new developments are all CC&R'd and won't allow them. Plus many of them have gotten so expensive you're better off with a stick built home instead.
If you can find land that allows them, they are nice for avoiding the high property taxes most get with a new stickbuilt home. The assessor is the most feared financial "grim reaper" in this state.
IIRC, the Palm Harbor ones were supposed to be better quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington