Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,818 times

Advertisements

A contractor, with his hired employees, did such a great job renovating the lodge in Paradise that it was on the news, showing what a great place it was, etc.

Recently, I heard that he never was paid for the work they did to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars. He paid his employees and lost his business. Does anyone else know about this?

I, for one, would not go back to Paradise until I hear/read that the state has paid him what the state owes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 01:48 PM

No one else is alarmed by this? I am. The state of Washington renegged on a written contract and is getting by with it, while this man and all his employees have lost. I believe the man should put a lien on the lodge and sue the state.

Furthermore. it says a lot of things about the state of Washington, and it is a warning to all those who intend to contract with Washington: their word will cost you plenty, and their contracts are worth nothing.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
The state should not have anything to do with a contract for a National Park Property.

Do some significant research on this, but if there are problems, there was likely a default in performance from the contractor. (from what I read, it looks like an estimating error by the roofing contractor and bad blood with general contractor vs. sub... nothing new). Federal contracting is no picnic, nor is it "cost +", and crossing your T's and Dotting I's requires a bid cushion, let alone a cushion for a measly 40 Squares (4,000sf) of roofing material on a job that size (Probably 1,000squares + cutting, ridges, valley's dormers... (+10% minimum)). Roofing Paradise Lodge would be a very tough job, and one you would want to do plenty of due diligence and have ALL issues, especially cost overruns, handled by a written change order. And LOTS of allowances for travel, material and weather delays, regulations and safety / inspection constraints

I know a contractor who has done NP park restorations for many years and hasn't had any problems getting paid.

This issue would warrant looking deeply in to the contracting relationships and agreements for the project,

$215,000 on a $23M project (1%) is well within the 'noise' level, I can see the Park Service position on this (Not that it is good, but probably fair, and in accordance with SOP)

For the contractor to have to shut down and lay off 40 person crew for a $215,000 issue points to a more serious problem. That is less than 3 weeks cash flow needs for supporting a crew and operation that size. WA B&O taxes and unemployment, workman's comp... are tough to swallow and tougher to pay! Can you imagine what the WC rate is on a roofer, on a 10/12 pitch at 8,000ft ?!!! Add the pain most roofers suffered with fuel (and Asphalt) related cost problems last summer... not pretty.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Basically, I am asking if this indeed happened. I don't know if it was the state, Washington State Parks, or no one who did this, but I have heard it from a reliable source that they did not pay, so i am trying to find out if it is true. I understand that they advertised their newly renovated lodge on TV and bragged about it well, and I understand that the contractor went on TV later, on "chanel 4," to say that he had not been paid. I just want to know what truly happened. I sincerely doubt that it was the contractor, and if it were, why did they brag so openly about the project?

Thank you for your thoughts!!

Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
you will have to do a 'dogpile' search like I did, then CAREFULLY discern the meager info (or give the owner of general and sub contractor a call !, that's what I do when I want the straight scoop )
Contractor on brink of closure: Feds never paid | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional
Screaming In An Empty Room: Contractor does their job, but government won't pay

Having been weaned and raised in the commercial contracting realm, I perceive this to be a problem with the subcontractor and /or General Contractor. This does not in any way reflect negatively on the NP service, federal procurement, state funding.... in fact it is good to know they are following protocol. (they are spending YOUR money, with very stiff constraints). That said, this does not discount the efforts or product the sub delivered, I expect the job was done correctly and on time (diligent Federal processes will assure this). There are just a lot of very obvious failures on the part of the sub and/or general contractor. If there was a well drafted performance contract, this would not have burnt the roofing contractor, and as mentioned... $215,000 is 'peanuts' in the cash flows and viability of this company. (tho important, it shouldn't 'break-the-bank'). Hint.... there is much more to them closing than this project. I would want to look at the performance contract, and evaluate the merit of the attorney for the roofer who supposedly reviewed and approved this contract. Someone was negligent, but it was (IS) not the NP service or the federal procurement processes.

I would go visit and enjoy Paradise ASAP, things are not looking good for your ability to do so in the future. (Federal cutbacks will be directed at 'touch-points', for most effective tax blackmail.) It's those who make the rules who ********** stuff up, not those carrying out the work. Too bad for the diligent worker-bee.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 AM

960 posts, read 1,164,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
I don't know if it was the state, Washington State Parks, or no one who did this, but I have heard it from a reliable source that they did not pay, so i am trying to find out if it is true.
It would definitely be the National Park Service or some other US federal gov't agency, that contracted the job out. This has nothing at all to do with the state. If you choose to boycott, it might make sense to boycott the entire national park system.

Quote:
I sincerely doubt that it was the contractor, and if it were, why did they brag so openly about the project?
A job could be well done but still be overcharged.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,859 times
It was a fuss made by the roofing contractor to general contractor - again not the state - Dept of Interior - National Park system .... It came up as a fluff story that went no where.... You call company today for a bid if you like...........Stories where from 2008....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington