Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 7,328 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband want to move to Washington sometime in the next year. We are currently living in central ca and hate the summer heat and bad air quality. We want somewhere that is cold and cloudy. Also, we are wanting to start a family in the near future so we are looking for someplace relatively small with good schools. [SIZE=3] Any suggestions?[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 09:46 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,921 times
Bremerton
Poulsbo
Gig Harbor
Ellensburg
North Bend
Enumclaw
Puyallup
Wenatchee
Long Beach
Forks
Leavenworth
Olympia
Lacey
Bellingham
Belfair
Everett

You may also try Oregon. They have some great places to live there as well.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
If you are concerned about good schools, you had better do your research.

Many towns in Washington, including some on that list, are in dire budgetary straits and are making severe cutbacks in both programs and staff.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:07 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie11 View Post
Me and my husband want to move to Washington sometime in the next year. We are currently living in central ca and hate the summer heat and bad air quality. We want somewhere that is cold and cloudy. Also, we are wanting to start a family in the near future so we are looking for someplace relatively small with good schools. [SIZE=3] Any suggestions?[/SIZE]
That describes most places west of the Cascades that are not on reservations. (My mother used to teach on a reservation in western WA, and the school situation was simply tragic.) Other than that, you'll probably be okay. Your best bet is to find an annual rainfall chart for western WA, decide how soaked you want to get, and start looking in the ideal drench band.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If you are concerned about good schools, you had better do your research.

Many towns in Washington, including some on that list, are in dire budgetary straits and are making severe cutbacks in both programs and staff.
They are all getting cutback it seems if you do a little research online. Our "re-elected" govenor does a real good job at making sure Seattle gets it's aestetic upgrades despite voter disapproval, then is laying off teachers, cutting funding and pinching pennies everywhere it's really needed like for expanding sewage treatment plants that are over capacity...

Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 PM

392 posts, read 1,556,700 times
Check out Gig Harbor...good schools (will be experiencing cuts, but still good) and cloudy at times, though it's not the gloom that so many like to play.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:23 AM

806 posts, read 2,340,979 times
Ok, I'll brag about my town for once!!!

If you like rain, check out Port Angeles!
Beautifully located in the heart of the Olympic National Park. Only a 1 1/2 hr drive to Seattle and a short ferry ride to Victoria, B.C.

(do I sound like a commercial!!)

OK. forget about the rain, our summers here are great!!! Sunny and 70's!!

Hiking, camping, fishing, etc etc etc....

Old 03-26-2009, 10:01 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
North Bend is cold, cloudy, snows more than Seattle, pretty nearby towns, and a cool old vibrant downtown.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:14 PM

8 posts, read 55,857 times
Default Good Schools

I substitute teach and would recommend Shoreline and Edmonds! Highline elementary schools are also ok but the middle and secondary schools are not AT ALL!

Shorecrest High School in Shoreline school district is one of the best public schools in the country, in my opinion. Very diverse student body, excellent standards, absolutely electric school spirit ( I think they actually won a national competition), fantastic community service program, mature kids: very respectful & clued up -- just overall a wonderful, dynamic school, from their academics to their arts! I have subbed in many schools and this one is amazing. Also Dwight from The Office went here ...

Last edited by longlostmango; 03-28-2009 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: type-o

Old 03-28-2009, 10:29 PM

8 posts, read 55,857 times
Default Cold and Cloudy

Also, it's all cold and cloudy up here so think you will find what you're looking for!

I live in Edmonds, by the water and we are one hour door-to-door to the ski slopes, 3 hours to downtown Vancouver, BC., 5-6 hours to the Oregon coast.

The best thing about this area is all the water! Lovely lakes in the the middle of the city and virtually everywhere is within a few miles of the Puget Sound. With amazing views of the mountains on both sides of the city.

Unless you really are excited by suburbia, I would avold Bellevue/Redmond/Lake Sammamaish -- Microsoftlandia. Otherwise you can live 20 miles out of downtown Seattle and literally be there in 20-25 minutes on I-5 on an average morning commute, which I used to do every day. The nature is beautiful around here so I would recommend living outside the city, although all the neighborhoods are great and West Seattle is a real gem.

You'd have to hear from somebody who lives in Seattle School District but from what I hear it's a bit of a mess -- no longer kids going to their local neighborhood schools but being bussed all over the city (which I think is not uncommon in many US cities these days.) One of the things I love most about living in Edmonds is the community schools. All my daughter's friends live within a certain radius of her elementary school and the parents and local businesses are very supportive.

We also have a great little downtown with a cinema, bakery, coffe shops, an independent bookstore, restaurants, a French bistro, a wine bar, great farmer's market in the summer, beaches, a ferry terminal, a scuba dive park (!?) and a lovely library with a great roof which has amazing views of the Puget Sound and Olympic Mountains, which we go roller skating on regularly ... also, no late fees! All within walking distance of eachother.

Kind of hard to find information or photos about this place online, though. But best of luck in your relocation! We love it here but do miss the sun sometimes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington