Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,835 times

Advertisements

Greeting from VA,

We need a vacation....

Is the end of May a decent time to come for a week (halfway decent weather // shoulder season). Avoiding tourist season is a requirement.

Agree or other options for "home base" being Pt Townsend?

I'll get a travel book, but what are top six or so "must see/do" things in/around the Pennisula (indoor, outdoor, day trip, it's all good). Other than all the excellent food/wine - that's a given!

-Best hikes?
-Elk preserves?
-Any steelhead fishing in late May?
-Best places to eat razor clams?
-Wineries?

My wife's never been to the Northwest (save for a "trapped in the hotel" business meeting). Long, long ago I was stationed in Astoria, Oregon and I have always wanted to bring her out and show her the great Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM

576 posts, read 2,261,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinva View Post
-Best hikes?
-Elk preserves?
-Best places to eat razor clams?
-Wineries?
Hi VA:

I'll take a shot at your questions, I'm sure others will chime in-

"Tourist Season" tends to start Memorial Day weekend so it depends when in late May you're trip is.

One of our homes is in Port Angeles, so I'll slant my recommendations that way:

Hiking anywhere in the park (Olympic) is (IMO) the best in the NW. A few of our favorities are anywhere along Lake Cresent or the Marymere Falls trail (accessed from Storm King). It's easy hiking and beautiful. I think Hurricane Ridge is a must see for your wife and the trails from the ranger station at the top of the ridge are good. We like the Hurricane Hill trail but it gets steep towards the top. Sol Duc trails are great. I would also suggest the Hoh rain forest and visitor center/trails as a must see for your wife. If you can make it out to Neah Bay, the Cape Flattery trail is also a good one.

Most of the Olympic Nat'l Park trails can be downloaded from the web. A nice little book that we use a lot is called Day Hikes on the Olympic Peninsula. Easy to pick up off Amazon.com or the likes.

Elks preserves? We usually see them when we're out hiking rather than on a preserve.

Have to check with Fish and Game site regarding the salmon season.

Good food? Boy that's a tough one on the Peninsula. There are scattered places here and there but nothing comparable to Seattle fare. IMO, WA's best wine is from the Colombia basin region (Yakima/Tri-Cities and surrounds) but taste in wine is subjective. I can't think of any wineries on the Peninsula but someone may correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Have fun!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,868 times
Olympic Cellars Winery, located between Sequim and Port Angeles, is a highly recommended stop, according to friends. We haven't been there yet, but plan to go soon!

Lynn

Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM

806 posts, read 2,342,159 times
There's a winery just as you start getting into P.A., Olympic Cellars.

The drive up to Hurricane Ridge is GREAT, if it's not cloudy.

I usually cook my own Razor's, but Downriggers in PA had a great Razor dinner!!

Try to plan on walking the beach at Salt Creek, out on hwy 112 towards Joyce, then you have to see the old Joyce general store. It's antique!

You shouldn't have trouble finding things to do!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM

52 posts, read 349,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinva View Post
There are a few west end rivers open for both steelhead and salmon in May. Best to consult the book as there are lots of 'but', 'except' and 'not including' happiness in the regs.

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

Old 04-02-2009, 02:46 PM

51 posts, read 135,634 times
Be sure to eat at Fat Smitty's outside Port Townsend.
Best burgers I've ever had!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:02 AM

806 posts, read 2,342,159 times
The Sol Duc waterfalls is a GREAT hike, and is only about 30 minutes each way. It's a beautiful stroll through the forest, awesome falls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington