Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 75,095 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I will be visiting Washington in late April. After reading countless visitor guides and websites, I still have a few questions regarding roadtripping along the Olympic Peninsula.

En route from Federal Way to Port Angeles, I plan on taking Route 16 to Route 3 to Route 19 to US 101. The guides suggest stopping off at Gig Harbor and Port Townsend. Are these places worth a quick one-to-two hour stop? Are there any other unique and must-see destinations along this route? Are there places for tourists to park?

Other than Hurricane Ridge and Rialto Beach in Olympic National Park, do you recommend any other short trips? Can you get to and see the Hoh Rainforest in about two hours from US 101? Is access to all these locations open in late April?

I plan on taking US 101 from Port Angeles to Olympia - are there any truly unique and worthwhile places to stop along this route for thirty minutes to an hour? I would particularly love any attractions in Mason County.

Also, is there a place to pull off and take a picture of the Tacoma Narrows from the road? Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 12:58 AM

806 posts, read 2,335,393 times
There's probably a place in the Gig harbor marina to get a good shot at the Tacoma Bridge.

From 101, it will take about 15 minutes to get into downtown Port Townsend, and about a good hour or so to check out the cool shops and waterfront, then another 15 back to 101 (on a different road) BUT, It's definitely worth the ride!!!

Sounds like you are in a bit of a hurry, so I don't thing Sequim would be very intriguing.

Have fun!

Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 PM

292 posts, read 1,444,807 times
The Hall of Mosses Trail south of Forks is about a 15-20 min drive off the highway and a great way to get your feel wet in the Olympic Rain forest (so to speak) if you are short of time. My favorite beach on that route is Ruby Beach, north of Kalaloch. Lake Crescent, between Port Angeles and Forks, is a good place to stretch your legs for a few minutes. There are public bathrooms and a walk on the dock shows how crystal clear the waters are so you can see trees felled long ago.

I love the drive through Port Gardner, such a pretty church.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,064,187 times
Just a fact check for planning purposes. The distance from Port Angeles (approximately milepost 245 on Hwy 101) to the Hoh Rain Forest (approximately MP 175, the Upper Hoh Road) is, as you can see, about 70 miles.

Hwy 101 is a narrow two-lane road sometimes hugging the sides of mountains and often with a solid center line, so no passing. 101 is used by truckers, especially logging truckers, as it is the only way to travel between the east and west sides of the Olympic Peninsula, and the only way betwen the north and south sides. It's a winding road riddled with blind corners. The speed limit generally varies from 35 to 55. State Highway Patrol and local police are diligent about patrolling 101 for speeders. At this time of year, there may well be state Dept. of Transportation workers repairing potholes and doing other construction work on 101, causing delays with flaggers controlling the flow of traffic.

So from Port Angeles to the Hoh, you have to assume an hour and a half driving time at this time of year without construction.

Rialto Beach is beautiful. I think that Ruby Beach is more interesting and more beautiful, and is so named because of the tiny garnets in the "sand". Both beaches are a good half-hour's drive west from 101. Again, patrolled for speeders. Some of the patrolling is done by small planes.

Anyone who knows me knows that I strongly recommend the Quinault Rain Forest over the Hoh. They are the same rain forest, but the Quinault area is less visited, quieter, more sacred. The rain forests can be visited all year. At this time of year, the rain forests will be sodden to walk in, dripping from above, much colder than you'd expect, and the day will probably be drizzly to quite rainy in late April.

Last edited by allforcats; 04-04-2009 at 08:40 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 12:14 AM

806 posts, read 2,335,393 times
I was just out to Copalis and Pacific Beach to dig Razor clams. It is a great beach! You can drive out onto the sand, next to the water if you'd like, and see the coast, It was fantastic. I don't think this would be too far out of your way, and is DEFINITELY worth the detour.
(you have to venture off of 101 to get to the beach, not too far!)

Old 04-06-2009, 01:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,168,070 times
Just did the tour for a friend out of state last weekend..... It was a driving trip just a jump out check it out tour - so for timing -

First night in Grayland - drove to La Push first day - took around the Quinault rain forest and around the lake - he loved that area felt worth the drive - At the bridge to go back on other side of lake is open - it is closed up to Graves creek now --- stopped at my secret spot sorry cant share - but also at Kalaloch Ruby Beach - spent night in La Push - after late start - so around 10am went down to Rialoto-Mora don't pass this beach up - back tracked to Hoh did the Valley of moss hike - and then drove up to Neah bay - walked out to the northwest corner of WA - back down to Port Angeles for another night stay - AM went through Port Townsend and the Fort - nothing was really open on a weekday at fort yet... That took around 1 and have days if you get up early and drive allot - didn't make it to Lake Cresent but it is worth the drive into area - Hurrican ridge was just too snowy last week to even try on the trip.....

I believe Razor Calms is the next three weekends so south of Kalaloch plan on area being full for overnights ---- Kalaloch not open for digs at this time.... Have Fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington