Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:40 PM

550 posts, read 3,266,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
We generally stay in a cabin down the road from LB, in Ocean Park.
Ah, that explains it. No, swimming is not allowed in Ocean Park. Ocean Park is definitely a horse of another color in comparison to the city of Long Beach. My mom's boyfriend just recently sold his cabin in OP and they were always talking about some of the funkier issues there.

But I can't think of any other area where the swimming is prohibited in Long Beach. (Oh, I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of any off hand.) But I can absolutely understand why they would discourage it, especially by those either unaware of the dangers or by those who aren't the best or most alert swimmers.

Artie~ Sorry, I don't know of any rentals. If I did, I'd certainly send 'em your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 08:44 PM

550 posts, read 3,266,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Hi Jenbar,
I've GOT to get out of Los Angeles.

Artie
Oh, holy crap. If you currently live in LA and visit Long Beach, WA...you'll probably think we're nuts for considering it "expensive". Everything is relative to what you're used to. Being used to LA, the pricing of staples on the coast will most likely not even register on your radar as expensive.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2007, 01:15 AM

642 posts, read 2,552,587 times
The water be very careful of. The danger is sneeker waves. Once when I was on the beach with my daughter a little wave came in and upon going back out pulled her feet out from under her and she slid away a bit with the water. Scared me to death but then I understood about how quickly it can happen. It was lucky I was right there. So if you are planning on spending a lot of time on the beach with kids keep an eye out.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,796 times
Default Long Beach

I lived in Long Beach for about 5 years or so and enjoyed it. I moved away from there about 2 years ago and am planning on going back. I enjoyed the slow paced life. It's a great place to relax. It does rain a lot there. I didn't like it at first (the rain)but I got used to it. Actually, now that I'm not there, I miss it. Usually people drive across the river to Astoria to go grocery shopping and clothes shopping because it's cheaper and no tax. Gas is also cheaper there. Stores in Long beach usually close early (around 5pm). I feel like it was a pretty safe place. I know someone said portland is 3-4 hours away but it usually took me about 2 1/2 hours. I worked at the state park there and while they don't recommend swimming at the beach, it is allowed. You can drive on the beach most of the year. I know many of my friends who frequently swim on the beach. Waikiki is a pretty nice place to go swimming, just be safe. I am currently looking for apartments there so if you decide that you do want to live there, let me know because I can give you a list of some apartments. Oh, and there is high speed internet available.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 PM

644 posts, read 3,321,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannae View Post
I lived in Long Beach for about 5 years or so and enjoyed it. I moved away from there about 2 years ago and am planning on going back. I enjoyed the slow paced life. It's a great place to relax. It does rain a lot there. I didn't like it at first (the rain)but I got used to it. Actually, now that I'm not there, I miss it. Usually people drive across the river to Astoria to go grocery shopping and clothes shopping because it's cheaper and no tax. Gas is also cheaper there. Stores in Long beach usually close early (around 5pm). I feel like it was a pretty safe place. I know someone said portland is 3-4 hours away but it usually took me about 2 1/2 hours. I worked at the state park there and while they don't recommend swimming at the beach, it is allowed. You can drive on the beach most of the year. I know many of my friends who frequently swim on the beach. Waikiki is a pretty nice place to go swimming, just be safe. I am currently looking for apartments there so if you decide that you do want to live there, let me know because I can give you a list of some apartments. Oh, and there is high speed internet available.
Hello Bannae,

I sent you a PM..... Do you have any pictures of Long Beach? I'd love to see them. I think I may have found an apartment. Compared to what I pay to live in Los Angeles, it's extremely affordable. I think it would be so amazing to wake up everyday to the smell of salt air. You have the ocean in your front yard and the forest in the back.

Artie

Old 12-13-2007, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,214 times
Default Did you move to Long Beach?

I was born in Astoria, OR and raised close to town in Long Beach. I find the rain and fog to be quite annoying in the summer, but the rest of the year I expected it and it didn't bother me much. If you go about 10 miles east, you will not get as much fog in the summer. I am living in the Southeast now, but am moving back to LB in January...

Old 06-24-2008, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 5,962 times
Default You dont want to.

Take it from me, I'm a local, yeah, sure you can come here if you're one of those antisocial types who like to commute 40-50 miles for a decent job, Pay outrageous prices for groceries, and Deal with the constant drama. The worst thing you can do is raise kids here. Take it from me, I'm a teen, the highschool isnt the best in the worls, heck, its one of the worst in the state, Your kids will have more drama than needed, and the hicks around here wont like ya if you dont mooch of the government and the richie hicks wont like ya if you dont have some kind of 401K set aside.
Its really seperated between the haves and the have nots around here. Teen pregnancy around here goes on like its some kind of fashion, or virus. The fact that theres a real black mold issue, and I'll tell you this, this town is nothing but a small gathering place for idiots, drama qweens, druggies, drunks, old people and Richies.
The smarter people live in the city.
Far.
Far.
Far away from longbeach Wa.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 33,669 times
People don't get Long Beach. It is a place of great beauty and strength of Nature. It is not a warm sunny beach but it does have beautiful 70 and 80 degrees in the summer time although not too many. The best time for storms is Jan - March. It is very mild in the winter, and it is windy (all the time) - one of the wildest places on the NW coast - the Columbia bar, where the river meets the great Pacific is one of the most treacherous in the world. There's nothing to do here except clam dig, crab, fish, oyster, beach comb, horse back ride, pick berries, hike, bicycle (it's very flat), contemplate the ocean and sunset, fly kites, sit by the fire and read. Do not move here if you don't like peace, fresh air, sandy feet and floors and quiet. We get fine cell service and internet. We take the back roads during busy tourist season. During 4th of July, so many tourists set fire to the beach grass on the dunes that the fire department has to have two trucks constantly cruising the beach to put them out. Afterward everyone leaves their fireworks and garbage all over the pristine beach. They leave it for the locals to clean up the next day. I was raised there and after spending 25 years in the Seattle area, I am ready to retire back to this place where there is no traffic and very little crime. So don't move here because unless you understand the culture (people who want to be left alone to paint, read, walk the beach and work their jobs) you won't like it, go to Maui.

Love Phoebe

Old 07-14-2008, 06:25 PM

3 posts, read 14,293 times
Default Love Long Beach!

Well stated, Diggity Dot! I adore Long Beach, and plan to retire there one day! I love the little festivals, the feeling of community/small town, and the wonderful 42nd Street Cafe (and other great restaurants in the area). Costco isn't far - across the bridge in Astoria. I, for one, never have cell phone trouble there, which is why I stay with Verizon. It seems to have the best service down there. I would caution someone from California, though, about the weather - as you said, it can be absolutely gorgeous, or not. You have to be able to love it when it storms/rains, too, which I do. If you end up there, I'll see ya when I retired! ;o) -Kim-

p.s. Just don't tell too many of your California friends about it....it's our little secret...! wink wink

Old 07-15-2008, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 33,669 times
Default artichoke63

You should visit www.funbeach.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington