Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,098,682 times

Advertisements

Which town is a better place to live between Walla Walla or Lewiston and what are the pros and cons of each ton? I do believe these towns are similarily sized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,057 times
Walla Walla, no comparison.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreetdriving View Post
Walla Walla, no comparison.
I have never been to Lewiston before and I believe it is the same size as Walla Walla

Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Which town is a better place to live between Walla Walla or Lewiston and what are the pros and cons of each ton? I do believe these towns are similarily sized.
Which is better is pretty subjective.
I've lived in both areas and like/disliked things about both.

Walla Walla has the state pen there, Lewiston has the Lewiston aroma (papermill)--Walla Walla is a little more diverse, Lewiston is pretty homogeneous.

Both are good if you like the outdoors, but I would have to give Lewiston the edge there--opportunities are a little more varied and a bit closer. For my money, Lewiston is more scenic and it doesn't seem to get so hot in the summer. Lewiston is a bit closer to a larger metro area (Spokane).

Lower taxes in Lewiston. Home prices fairly similar.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
On the tax issue: not necessarilly lower in Idaho. Washington has no state income tax, Idaho has both income and sales tax, even on groceries. Kind of depends on your situation, I guess.

Lewiston probably has a better setting, nice river valley with mountains surrounding. Walla Walla has a significant college. Lewiston is a bit warmer in both winter and summer. But, yes, that smell!

So....kind of a toss-up.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Lewiston and it's sister city Clarkston Wa, are both nice towns. I think the comparison to Walla Walla would be unfair and downright difficult, WW has the college campus to augment an otherwise quiet agribusiness community. Lewiston-Clarkston have the valley and surrounding hills to provide a pleasant backdrop to a fairly large strung out metro area situated at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater rivers. The two towns are in different states but share a common business base and employment oppertunities that can be advantaged through tax law differences between Idaho and Washington. The "aroma", that is discussed here so often, is courtesy of the pulp mill at the east end of Lewiston, on windy days you could get a good whiff of the smell but most people get used to it. Jobs will be easier to find in the twin cities, WW has a mostly local economy consisting of the agri-jobs and all those others who service them. Spraying of pesticides in WW has been discussed as a possible health hazzard not to mention the dust it brings. Both areas are ag-dependent but Lewiston has the greater edge over WW in sheer numbers of business' in the area. Weather in the WW area can be cooler than the Lewiston-Clarkston valley but only slightly so, summers are very hot in both places and winter can be cold for both. All in all, I'd say you'd probably have to look around both the areas for housing schools etc to make your decision but make sure you check both areas on Google Earth, it's a great way to plan out your trip.......

Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Of course there is the terrain issue. Walla Walla is quite flat, and the twin cities are down in a valley. (Does that make it cold or fog prone?, I haven't done a winter there)

Walla Walla area appears greener, in large part due to irrigated farms and significant old trees in town.

As mentioned Twin cities have direct access to 'wilderness' area, where WW requires a drive. WW is striking distance to Portland or Spokane, where twin cities is quite a hike to Portland (which can be a destination of choice for a direct airport connection). Spokane has limited direct flights, as does Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington