Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 12:53 PM

37 posts, read 112,503 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved from WA a little while ago to chase dreams. The only problem is that when you catch up with them the varnish is not so shiny as you thought. We both miss WA, (though I admit I am enjoying the sunshine more), and want to move back. I've lived in Lynnwood, Bothell and both of us in Bellevue. I visited many areas but the problem is visiting and living are two different things. So I'm looking for advice on the best towns to live. I'll be doing in depth research but would like some ideas.

Here's what our list contains so far. We prefer the westside to eastside. Looking for small town but with culture. Tourist town is okay. Would like to be able to walk or bike often without worry of being run down. Biggest consideration to dog friendly areas. Big bonus would be area that allows chickens and small livestock. Need to garden. We enjoy living simply and socializing. He's retired but young at heart and active. I'm in the old enough to know better but just to young to care stage.

I know that finding everything on the wish list is unlikely, but if someone has a suggestion thats close I would love to hear it and why they recommend it.

Current areas of interest: Port Townsend, Langley, Port Orchard, Gig Harbor, Anacortes, San Juan Islands, Birch Bay, do not want to go south of Tacoma. May consider more inland if had most of the items on list.

Last edited by selandra; 12-24-2009 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: More info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 01:16 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Isn't Gig Harbor south of Tacoma?

Woodinville have their wineries and it's really close to Marymoor (a big-big-big dog park). Other towns that could be a good match: Carnation, Monroe, North Bend and Snohomish. Any places on the westside is going to be much more pricier than eastern Washington; but I would also toss in Leavenworth, that'd be a fun town to move into and it has more sunshine than Seattle!!

Old 12-25-2009, 04:57 PM

37 posts, read 112,503 times
Actually, Gig Harbor is slightly northwest of Tacoma. Love Marymoor dog park but would like to get away from the hustle and bustle. The other places are okay also but I would like to get closer to the water. Did consider Leavenworth but husband wants to avoid to much snow. Top of the list currently is Port Townsend but not sure how animal friendly they are? Anyone know?

Old 12-25-2009, 07:15 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Isn't Gig Harbor south of Tacoma?
Just on the West (opposite) Side of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge...

Old 12-26-2009, 10:31 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Whidbey Island is particularly dog friendly, with a bunch of off leash parks ( including Double Bluff Beach Park..heaven!)..Langley is very nice, but Port Townsend has better weather.
You might want to look at Vashon also, with it's artsy, eco groovy, hippie dippie ethos, and lots of small farmers.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:49 PM

7 posts, read 23,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selandra View Post
Here's what our list contains so far. We prefer the westside to eastside. Looking for small town but with culture. Tourist town is okay. Would like to be able to walk or bike often without worry of being run down. Biggest consideration to dog friendly areas. Big bonus would be area that allows chickens and small livestock. Need to garden. We enjoy living simply and socializing. He's retired but young at heart and active. I'm in the old enough to know better but just to young to care stage.
I'll do my best to list off Port Orchard point-by-point:

Small town: It's small, but not exactly everybody-knows-everybody. The residents are mostly located here because of the Bremerton shipyard. There aren't any horrible parts of town, but some are better than others.

Tourism: Yes. Only since Debbie Macomber wrote those Cedar Cove books. Read those to get an idea for what the town was like back in the 80s and 90s.

Walking/Biking: Most roads are good, but for biking please stay off Mile Hill.

Dog friendly: Yes. We've got several parks in the area with interweaving trails that people take their dogs to all the time. I'm one of them when I'm watching my grandparents' dogs.

Chickens/Livestock: In the more remote areas. If you're inside the city limits, might not be a good idea.

Gardening: Yes. My grandparents have been gardening for decades here.

"Simple Life": I'd say so. Port Orchard's more of an older-person town (there's a veterans home here), not a lot for kids except a movie theater.

Socializing: Yep, that too. A popular destination for people here is the bowling alley at Bethel and Mile Hill. I'm there every Saturday morning for breakfast.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 PM

68 posts, read 192,874 times
port tounseend

Old 02-12-2010, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
Bellingham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington