Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:18 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times

Advertisements

Source of animosity:
It's because of prices. Californians sell their homes for 2-3 X what a house costs in Seattle. The influx of high paying home buyers competing with cash drives housing prices up, and then only other Californians can afford to move in and pay the taxes. The children of native Washingtonians can no longer afford to buy homes where they grew up. So it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 10:23 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb123 View Post
No, believe me - I pay attention. As I mentioned, I have heard of the mass exodus... I have not ever heard anyone say they "hated" Californians though.
I moved to Seattle in 2003 and heard anti-Californian sentiments expressed many times. I don't really think it's a hatred, but rather more of a resentment. Don't you remember all of the "Californication" bumperstickers?

Old 05-09-2016, 06:29 PM

364 posts, read 617,860 times
The problem for most Californians is simply that they can not afford to stay and live in their own home state. It sucks. I would LOVE to be back where I grew up, but as a parent i just can not justify the horrible cost. So please remember, most people leaving California are not doing it because they want to, they do it because they have to...

Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
east of the cascades there are more issues with 206'ers than Californians.

I don't know anybody that moved to Wenatchee from California. I know thousands that moved here from western Washington!!

turn in that cell phone ASAP and get a 509 number!!

Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 PM

90 posts, read 100,084 times
Yes, I have to say the hate for Californians is real. Not so much in the bigger cities but the smaller towns that surround the Puget Sound area and I-5. I have dealt with small town folk and farmers for the last 15 years and YES there is hatred and blame for the people of California.

Some advice for Californians is don't mention California when you first meet somebody unless asked. I've been in many group conversation when the guy from California makes it known. A lot of stuff is said once the guy from Cali walks away.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:51 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacTown View Post
Yes, I have to say the hate for Californians is real. Not so much in the bigger cities but the smaller towns that surround the Puget Sound area and I-5. I have dealt with small town folk and farmers for the last 15 years and YES there is hatred and blame for the people of California.

Some advice for Californians is don't mention California when you first meet somebody unless asked. I've been in many group conversation when the guy from California makes it known. A lot of stuff is said once the guy from Cali walks away.

It isn't Cali unless Washington is Washi.

And California hatred exists on this forum, not IRL

Old 05-10-2016, 08:56 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacTown View Post

Change every word in your post from "Californian" to "Seattlite", and the sentiment would be exactly the same over in Eastern Washington.

So, I guess basically, Seattle and Western Washington people hate it when Californians move in to Western Washington and drive-up house prices and expect the locals to conform to the "Californian" ideals of lifestyle and politics, etc, so then those people from Western Washington move to Eastern Washington and the exact same thing happens.

Funny how these things are all relative...

Old 05-12-2016, 08:17 PM

35 posts, read 41,300 times
People will always complain about something. How is it that all Californians are rich and buying up land? And are we talking about the whole state of California, or just where most of the rich people in California live (Southern California)? There are rich people in every state buying up land in that state. Californians are Americans; why get angered by Americans moving to another state in America?

Old 05-13-2016, 03:10 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
^^At last, a sensible individual! How refreshing on this forum!

Old 05-22-2016, 01:36 AM

162 posts, read 199,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Didn't I understand that at one point --could have been in the late 70's or early 80s-- that the majority of new residents moving into Washington were from California? I know I remember the sentiment you are describing. All the increasing congestion was being caused by those from California and the seemingly more agressive drivers were Californians. I can remember folks saying that.

Of course, that didn't mean that Washington was where the majority of those leaving California were going ...two different things. That's what you're referring to, AZ_mom ...so I guess you can disregard this post all together. *laughs*

--'rocco
That's exactly right. About that time our home was worth ( a 5 bedroom house in Lynnwood) $60k, about 3 years later after we sold at 60, there was a large influx of out of state people moving in, that same house sold for doubt that. Today it sells for $380k. Is California to blame? No. High housing prices in California and lower prices in Washington coupled with job opportunities were responsible.
That said I moved from Seattle to California 15 years ago (never fall in love with someone who lives in another state) and we'll be moving back soon so I can be near family. So I guess technically we will be a late "California invasion" though I was born in Seattle and grew up there.
Different regions around the country go through the same thing, and people will always try to find what's affordable or the next big thing.
Now half of what was said about invading Californians was just hype (or a joke) but some people took it very seriously. I think it's just that people will go where they feel like it's where they can afford to set down roots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington